Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

The future of Glow engines

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2010, 05:34 PM
hairy46
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: The future of Glow engines

Oh yah, the sweet sound of the Saito! Ya the more I think about it and read these posts I know I would for sure miss glow engines! I just hope glow does not price us out, I can buy 15% glow fuel for 8.50 a gallon right now till he runs out! Its about two years old, How long will glow fuel last? Right now he has it in his basement in cases. I am thinking 10 cases for that price. As far as electric, absolutely no interest in it!

My girlfriend told me she did not want me to get another War-bird or she would leave! You should see how beautiful she flys!
Old 07-18-2010, 06:53 PM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

You're all set for the next few years. Keep the fuel in the cases in the dark.
Old 07-18-2010, 09:03 PM
SushiSeeker

ORIGINAL: pe reivers

small glow engines will disappear in favour of electrics, or become very expensive due to diminishing markets. Medium size glow/gas/electric. Large engines glow(specials) or gas. Electrics are limited by the safe Voltage (50V) limit, so power can only increase if current increases. Right now, the largest motors are about 9 kW, not for the faint of heart! These babies need 200+ Amps to unfold their power.
I disagree - at least until batteries decrease in price, become more safe and can be recharged at a rate greater than 1 c. I can fly all day on a gallon of glow for $20, fuel the plane and be up again in 5 min. Fuel is the cheapest commodity WRT this hobby for me. Plus I don't have to worry about a malfunctioning lithium battery burning my house down. How many flights do you get per day on a 9kw electric system? Do you store those batteries inside?
Old 07-18-2010, 09:11 PM
Kmot
My Feedback: (24)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I love teasing the lekky guys!

I have over 100 glow, and 3 gas engines. But, I also have 6 electric planes now (one of them a .40 glow size) and I have a few dozen electric motors, used mostly in boats.

One of the things that really cracks me up is when I watch a Youtube video of an electric powered warbird and some guys makes a comment like "wow, that sounds just like a real P-51"!

hahahahahahaha!!!!!!!!!!
Old 07-18-2010, 09:43 PM
w8ye

Electrics can have prop noise that some associate with a internal combustion engine

Also the electric ducted fan engines can have considerable whine much like a turbojet engine.
Old 07-18-2010, 09:48 PM
hairy46

Thank you Sir! I will let him know I will be down to get the fuel, I reckon I will have some cheap flying for awhile! Eddie is kind of slowing down on the flying, he was selling fuel and their club kind of stopped after the vice president of the club was killed in a real plane crash, I just bought his 80+ inch Spitfire with a new OS 160 Bisson muffler Futaba servo's for 250.00 I offered more and he just wanted the 250.00, Its a very nice plane! I wish he was staying in but he is 78 and thinks it is getting time to slow down. He's just keeping a few smaller planes, I am taking the Spit to War-birds over the Rockies!

My doctor said I would need allot more therapy, so I bought more planes!
Old 07-18-2010, 09:53 PM
w8ye

Better get it all
Old 07-18-2010, 09:58 PM
hairy46

Yes, I will see how much he has left! Thanks again!
Old 07-18-2010, 10:04 PM
049flyer
My Feedback: (18)

Why do guys that fly the larger stuff always complain about the price of glow fuel but they never complain about the $100.00 servos in the $1500 plane carted out to the field in a $2500 trailer pulled by a $40,000 truck that gets 10 mpg? I forgot to mention $50.00 props and $100.00 spinners.

Seems to me that glow fuel is just about the cheapest part of the hobby.

Let's just be honest. Some like big stuff powered by gasoline, some like glow and some like electric.

Old 07-18-2010, 10:17 PM
w8ye

ORIGINAL: 049flyer

Why do guys that fly the larger stuff always complain about the price of glow fuel but they never complain about the $100.00 servos in the $1500 plane carted out to the field in a $2500 trailer pulled by a $40,000 truck that gets 10 mpg? I forgot to mention $50.00 props and $100.00 spinners.

Seems to me that glow fuel is just about the cheapest part of the hobby.

Let's just be honest. Some like big stuff powered by gasoline, some like glow and some like electric.

these size planes generally use gasoline

The big props on a 4 cylinder gasser costs over $100 and the spinners are even more

Old 07-18-2010, 10:49 PM
NM2K
My Feedback: (14)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: blw

I have a few 2 strokes and they should last a lifetime for me. They are all very good engines. W8YE gave me a couple of them. But, the look and sound of Saitos has grown on me. Life would still be good if all I had were Saitos.

Or Enya, or OS, or YS, etc. At least for me.

I love Saito engines. I own a lot of Saito engines. I don't see where a Saito is one bit better or worse than the previously mentioned brands.

You guys are beginning to sound religiously affected when you talk about Saito these days. Actually, it's kind of scarey, if you know what I mean? (wink)

Ed Cregger
Old 07-18-2010, 11:05 PM
NM2K

ORIGINAL: nonstoprc

Well, sometime you have to do it because of weight constraint.

Undoubtedly, that is why folks use LiPo technology. Still, it isn't worth losing a house in a fire.

The feds should intervene and stop the sale of such junk in the USA until the manufacturers get their act together and make them fire proof.

Ed Cregger
Old 07-18-2010, 11:08 PM
hairy46

Be honest, The Spitfire I just bought for 250.00 is now the bigest plane I have, But that said I bet not many guys out there would back off from a deal like that! He would have sold it to someone it might as well be me for a change! very happy to have it, Spitfire being my all time favorite fighter.

Want keep from crashing? stay at least 10ft off the ground at all times, even during take off and landing!

Old 07-18-2010, 11:12 PM
coriolan

The fire proof version wich can be charged in 15 min is already here, A123 LipoFe. But the future is still not electric
Old 07-18-2010, 11:54 PM
NM2K

Thanks for the tip on the fireproof LiPo.

I would still fly some form of IC engine powered model sometimes, if able. However, I find myself more and more interested in the small (not micro) electric powered model because I cannot fly as many flights as I once could. Just a normal age progression thing. Some folks grow old by 50 and some go to the grave not acting or feeling old. I'm in the former group. In fact, I've been alive longer than most of my relatives that have this darned immune system problem that causes diabetes and other such nonsense. So, what I'm saying is that in truth, I am lucky to be here and even thinking about flying any kind of model airplane.

I've loved model airplanes since the age of 5, when I first crawled up to look out of the window in the Camden, NJ polio ward, just to see what was making that weird sound down below. It was a guy trying to get his gas/spark engine started on his control line model. If he only knew what he started in one boy's life... (smile)

Ed Cregger
Old 07-19-2010, 12:16 AM
CKLLOYD

I FLY GAS AND GLOW BUT I DONT FLY ELE. WHY ? BECAUSE THEY DONT SOUND LIKE A PLANE... GIVE ME THE SOUND
Old 07-19-2010, 12:24 AM
NM2K

Well, you know, being a professional musician and a sound reinforcement engineer for several decades (not my day job), it has occurred to me that some day we modelers might have to consider augmenting the sound of our future's quiet models with speakers and an onboard sound system. Or an on the ground sound system that is keyed by the model's position/speed and cross referenced with the data from our transmitters. It should be easily doable today at a not too bad price. Now this is a product for scale modeling that would interest me. Then we could stop worrying about four-strokes sounding better than two-strokes.

But what about the other guys at the field? Won't our engine sounds bother them? Not if we use headphones and not a monster sound system.

Ed Cregger
Old 07-19-2010, 12:32 AM
hairy46

Hey Ed fly what you can and every chance you get, This is therapy! I have a friend that was in a head on crash on the 4th, he is a police officer and was just learning to fly RC, He broke his neck and will be down for awhile, I asked his lady once he gets out of the hospital if we can come get him and take him to the field? and she said every chance we get, please! She knows how much he loves it.

My doctor told me I would need allot more therapy, So I bought more planes!
Old 07-19-2010, 12:56 AM
mike109

G'day

I suspect that glow engines will still be around for a long time. Very few technologies disappear completely. We used to use lots of horses but they were replaced by the IC engine. None the less, there are still people playing with horses. The longbow was replaced by firearms but there are plenty of people still pulling them back and firing them. Oars, sail and steam have all been largely replaced by diesel and turbine but all the earlier ones are still around. We used to have wind up gramophones and that technology lives on in wind up radios for places where batteries are too hard to get. You can add endlessly to this list. The point is simply that technologies that are replaced usually find a niche to live on in like the Marsupials in Australia.
Old 07-19-2010, 01:04 AM
hairy46

Made some real good points!
Old 07-19-2010, 01:27 AM
TimBle

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I doubt batteries are the future. They are an interim step and will be super ceded  by the fuel cell.

Any combustable hydrocarbon can provide the fuel for the FC.

In the mean time I have my vote in the gasoline camp. CDi units will become smaller and  lighter.
Engines will shed the weight as dedicated model airplanes engines hit the shelves. Already Magnum XLS 52G is only adding the weight of the Cdi and battery but that is offset by a smaller fuel tank. This situation will only improve with the adoption of LiFePO4 batteries for ignition packs.

for small planes electric is the way to go, no doubt about it. Planes requiring <11.1  3s systems are cost effective, abouve that it bcomes expensive, and dangerous. Large Amperes are not to toyed with; Amperes can kill.

The Future?

Flex fuel engines, catalytic converters in our mufflers, and the fuel cell
Old 07-19-2010, 02:35 AM
Nikolas K

ORIGINAL: TimBle

Flex fuel engines, catalytic converters in our mufflers, and the fuel cell

Catalytic converters for model engines? What percent of the earth's pollution is caused by model engines?1 millionth?1 trillionth?I do not think it worth's even discussing about it.
Old 07-19-2010, 02:42 AM
colingw

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The day I stop flying glow will be the day every one of my models has a diesel in it!

But seriously, for as long as I can get my hands on Castor, Methanol and Enya #3 plugs, I'm flying glow. Nitro is optional, except for the 1/2As and maybe four strokes. Even an Enya 09 can be made to run acceptably on FAI fuel, although I do use nitro at present.

Old 07-19-2010, 03:12 AM
rcflip

With the basement nuclear fusion reactors being constructed all around the globe its only a matter time before one finds its way in a model aircraft.
Old 07-19-2010, 03:22 AM
Srewinkel

I had my twist 40 with a os 70 FS in the air for almost 20 mins, landed, refueled, checked battery levels, and up the air in less than 5 mins.  Had more flying time in one flight than the electric guys have in a day.  Not to mention the other planes I got to fly in the morning.  Yeah if you like to sit down and BS for most the day, then go electric, or spend mucho bucks on batteries and chargers..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.