Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Fox Engines .45 sport engine help

I have an old Fox 45 that doesn't seam to run right and part of the problem is that i am not used to the way the needle valves(both high and low speed valves) are set up(because i have owned OS and Evo ever since i started the hobby). The engine slows in rpm when i idle it until it stops but runs fine when the plug starter is in it and it runs fine on high rpm but it cuts out most of the time before i can get it there. Also, after a while of high, it starts to die down again, even after being tuned. What i hope toreceiveis either a link to the instruction manual or somebody who knows how to work these engines. Thanks in advance...
    Cookieworks

PS- the engine has been cleanedthoroughly.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Fox Engines .45 sport engine help

Have you briefly pinched the fuel line to see if the RPM comes back up? Sounds rich to me. What plug and fuel are you using? What prop?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

the pinching thing works to bring up idle but i don't know how to work the low end valve. I am using a 11x6 prop and 15% nitro. As for the glow plug, i'm not sure... it was bought new with the engine along with theoriginaland another about 10 years ago. I'm not sure of the make and model. Would an A3 fit this?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Club Fox on RCU had a post by earlwb, that reads this way. (#565, page 23)

"set the main needle valve to keep the engine running, and adjust the idle needle for a good idle, and then adjust the main needle. If you had the three needle carb, then idle first, midrange second and main last for adjustments. The low speed needles affect the high speed needles, so you adjust them in sequence."

Read more: http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_33...#ixzz0uQ96MjZF

You said it won't run at high or low for long, so that's rich. The slow stall means it's flooding and the mixture is set too rich. If it suddenly quits moving the throttle, that's usually lean.
    I also read these like idle bar plugs, so avoid the A3. The majority of posts say they run better with higher oil content.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I learned alot of new things when I began running Fox Engines. 20% Castor Oil, and low nitro fuel made immediate improvement. Then I would read Duke's Mixture in the R/C Mags he gave engine hints. To set a Fox's idle you lean it to the maximum rpm before sagging. ( I know its sounds too lean, but I tried it anyway) All of a sudden I got a perfect transition, reliable idle, and strong top end. All of the above were things Duke Fox told you to do for his engines.

After doing what he said, I kind of chuckled to myself because it worked exactly as he said. I don't think I would have ever tried them otherwise. I found Fox engines to be very good after applying his technics.
    Fox had a terrible reputation at the field I was flying at. We would pull out our Fox powered planes and people would ask all kinds of questions after the flight. They all went to the local hobby shop asking him to get them a Fox engine He hated them! The Club had several Fox's flying when I left after college.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I've had a couple Fox .45s that would idle all day long at under 2000 rpms, then accelerate to over 14000 rpms on a 10-6 prop without any loading at all. I also enjoyed having a club maven come up to me at the field telling me I won't even be able to get it started, and walk away when the engines start on the first hand flip.

As PGF Chinn said in his MAN column, just set it up according to the instruction sheet, no matter how much experience you have had with other carbs.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I am a big fox engine fan myself. At present I am the only one flying them at the flying field. But I still get people that somehow think they are "COX" engines. the engines tend to last seemingly forever, barring a nasty crash or something.
    Plus FOX has a 50% policy where they'll sell you a new one for 50% off its price. You can't beat that, not worth rebuilding them.

Club Saito #722, Sig Kadet Brotherhood #80, GlowHead Brotherhood #14,
    AMA # 928076

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

It's got to be a VERY nasty crash. Another club member flew a Fox Eagle powered pattern ship at full throttle into a large tree, needed to replace the plane, radio, prop, and the two needle valves. I had a similar eperience with a .45 powered trainer, had to replace the cone lock and prop driver cup. And the high speed needle. Still fly that engine today.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I am still using up my supply of FOX engines I acquired many years ago. These engines all have the old two and three needle carbs on them. I do have a newer circa 1991 FOX 45 that has a newer carb on it. But the engines all work fine. I also have a couple of circa 1976 FOX 15's that I have on a couple of planes that still run like a champ too. Those little guys just have such a low idle speed, it is almost fascinating wondering if they'll stall out or not at such a slow RPM. I did install a NIB old FOX Eagle baffle port engine on a Extra 500 last year too.
    I have a old Top Flight Contender kit I am thinking about building up to put on my extra NIB FOX Hawk .60 as a nostalgia kind of thing, as way back in 1975 it was my first low wing plane then. I had it flying with a FOX Hawk 60 way back then too. I still have that  first FOX Hawk 60 too, but I need to put in new crankshaft bearings on it though. i did manage to wear out the bearings after several years and several planes. I think the pattern plane flying with a tuned pipe eventually got to the bearings. But I could probably trade it on on a new FOX Eagle too.

AMA # 928076

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Right now, I have a collection of somewhere around 53 Fox engines, including an .049, .074RC, .09RC, numerous .15, a couple .19s, several .25s, .29s, .35s, .36s, .40s, .45s. a .46, one .50, one .59, one Hawk, several Eagle III and a IV, and a .78. In 50 some years of using foxes, I've worn out precisely one .15 Baffle CL, one .15 RC Schnuerle, and a .35 Stunt and a .36X flying off a salt flat in the Libyan desert. Also, only had to replace one set of ball bearings in a .45 because I didn't adequately clean it after burying it.

Foxes are tough.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I love my Fox .50, best 2-stroke I've ever had. Strong, reliable, GREAT running engine!
    Tarasdad
    Club Saito #680; Saito FA91 (2), FA80; Fox .50, .25, .19; Apprentice; Tiger 60, Sup. Chipmunk; Spirit

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I set up someone's Fox .50 once. He had it running, but couldn't get a good idle and transition. Got iit running for him, thought IIR about 14800 high, 2000 low, which I thought was close for an engine just slightly larger than a non-piped .45 on a 0-6 prop. Turned out he was running an 11-7.5.
    He went to Florida for the winter. When he got back North in the Spring, somebody there got him another 200 RPM op end.

I once got an OS Max .30 RC and $5.00 in trade for an old baffled fox .15. I think the other guy got the better deal.

I think Fox engines are about the most underated and maligned engines in this hobby/sport.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: 50+AirYears

Right now, I have a collection of somewhere around 53 Fox engines, including an .049, .074RC, .09RC, numerous .15, a couple .19s, several .25s, .29s, .35s, .36s, .40s, .45s. a .46, one .50, one .59, one Hawk, several Eagle III and a IV, and a .78. In 50 some years of using foxes, I've worn out precisely one .15 Baffle CL, one .15 RC Schnuerle, and a .35 Stunt and a .36X flying off a salt flat in the Libyan desert. Also, only had to replace one set of ball bearings in a .45 because I didn't adequately clean it after burying it.

Foxes are tough.
    I haven't counted up all my FOX engines. But I am probably have about the same number.
    Fox .049's on up to the .74 and .78's. I used to have a 1.20 and I regret ever parting with it too. it ran great and had tons of power.
    Way back in 1978 I had drove by and stopped at the FOX factory on the way home and bought a bunch of engines they had as factory seconds, etc. I am still trying to use them up.

AMA # 928076

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

About 2004, I had a business trip to Fort Smith. If I read the map in the local telephone book correctly, they weren't too far from the hotel where I was staying. Problem was, I was finished too late in the evening to get there, and the day I left, I had to catch an early flight out. Did get to see an old P2V-7 in civvie paint at the FS Airport, though. Trip wasn't a total loss.

Kind of wish that one of the times I go to visit my son and his faily in SC, I could take a side trip to Arkansas and get some Superfuel and Missle Mist, but the wife wouldn't buy that.