Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: ASP FS61 midrange problems

Now 1 of the things I have seen is someone bottoming out the lsn with out removing the hsn which damages the spraybar and or the lsn. Making it run rich in the 1/4 throttle range
    IF you are an exp engine tuner an can't seem to tune it then yeah I'd change the carb.
    I do love OS twin needle carbs try it an let us know

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I had two of these engines at one time for about 5 years and there was never a rich midrange problem
    Attended the CutFinger Institute of DirtNap University for years but never did graduate....
    Recipient, Mangledhand award August 2008
    Club Saito Member #7
    Original AMA #31261

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: kerwin50

Now 1 of the things I have seen is someone bottoming out the lsn with out removing the hsn which damages the spraybar and or the lsn. Making it run rich in the 1/4 throttle range
    IF you are an exp engine tuner an can't seem to tune it then yeah I'd change the carb.
    I do love OS twin needle carbs try it an let us know
    One of the first things i did was to get a new carb, but I couldn't see much difference. An OS carb would probably solve the problem, but I'm not sure I want to spend half the price of a new engine on a new carb... OTOH OS carbs are usually very good.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

The OS 52 carb is a direct bolt on swap.

I've also seen Magnum carbs on the OS engines.
    Attended the CutFinger Institute of DirtNap University for years but never did graduate....
    Recipient, Mangledhand award August 2008
    Club Saito Member #7
    Original AMA #31261

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ASP mid range idle issue

Had the same problem and has anyone thought to check the fuel tank? My ASP .61 FS runs GREAT on my break in stand with needle valve exactly at the half way height of the tank. But when I put it in the plane where the top of the tank is just below the needle it won't idle worth a darn. I put a fuel pump on it and it ran perfect! It might be the tank is the problem. Placement, leaks, kinks, clog, etc.....

Quote Originally Posted by w8ye View Post
    The OS 52 carb is a direct bolt on swap.

I've also seen Magnum carbs on the OS engines.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Quote Originally Posted by sandal View Post
    Hello, it's me trying to get my "problem engine" to run again I apologize for the long post.

Background:
    A few years ago I bought an ASP FS61 for my Flyin' King. No matter how I tuned it, the midrange was way too rich, even with the top and bottom leaned out as much as possible. I got a new carb from the shop, and the problems were still there. After a couple of gallons I finally gave up and decided not to use the engine. Earlier this week I decided to try again. Top and bottom are great, but if I leave it at half throttle, rpms gradually decrease, and it smokes and vibrates a lot.

What I have tried so far:
    - A new carb (same type)
    - Several glow plugs (all OS F)
    - Different types of fuel (Byron 4T 15%, Rapicon 15% HLS, JeRo 5%)
    - Different APC props (12x6, 12x8, 13x6, 13x4W)
    - Checking the valves
    - Moving the camshaft one tooth either way
    - Using RTV on the intake to prevent leaks
    - Fuel tubing on the needle valve
    - I even tried the carb from my FS30. The mounting pattern is the same. With this carb the midrange is clean, but the engine won't idle, and the top end RPM is lower (for obvious reasons).
    - If I turn the needle valve appr. half a turn in, the midrange is clean, but I can't go past 2/3 throttle without running too lean. This leads me to thinking that the carb is the problem.

Next on my list is:
    What if I bought a 40N (OS FS-52S) or a 40NA (OS FS-56a) carb? Correct me if I'm wrong, but I have understood that they are interchangeable. I have only had good experience with OS carbs myself, and my OS FS-52S (sold) was smooth regardless of rpm.

What do you think? Should I buy an OS carb and give it a go? It is less than half the price of a new ASP engine.
    Solution for rich mid range.
    I have been able to reduce a rich mid range by using an open '90 degreeT' in the fuel line between the muffler and the carburetor (2 stroke engine). The solution is repeatable and very little trouble.

I have used the solution on two different engines with great success. It acts like an air bleed at mid throttle with no visible affect on the top or bottom end. It also takes less than 5 minutes to try and is reversible.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12