Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Supertigre S-90 Troubles

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2010, 12:22 PM
Shovel-Head
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Supertigre S-90 Troubles

I have an older supertigre s-90 mounted in a Goldberg Ultimate ARF. The engine runs fine untill the tank gets about halfway empty then the engine just wants to lean out and die. I think it is a tank problem but can't figure out what it is? No lines are kinked and the clunk is fine. The engine will continue to idle fine at this point but once full throttle is applied I can see bubbles in the carb. line and the engine will just die out untill its brought back to idle. The engine is also running on a slimline pitts so it may not be getting enough back pressure? Any tips on the above issue? Thanks!
Old 08-05-2010, 12:52 PM
landeck
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Supertigre S-90 Troubles

My guess would be a pin hole in the fuel pick up line inside the tank. When the fuel is half gone, the hole is uncovered and starts bleeding air.

Bruce
Old 08-05-2010, 01:22 PM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I had this problem and there was a crack in the brass tube where it went through the stopper in the tank
Old 08-05-2010, 02:44 PM
rcdude7
My Feedback: (264)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If it were mine, I would change ALL the plumbing from the clunk forward and then spin again. It only takes one little pin hole somewhere to screw up the fuel delivery.
Old 08-08-2010, 09:51 AM
Jezmo

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: w8ye

I had this problem and there was a crack in the brass tube where it went through the stopper in the tank
I've had the exact same thing happen Jim and it took a very long time to finally stumble upon the problem. I knew there was a leak because the bubbles couldn't get in any other way but I couldn't bring myself to believe the brass tube was the problem. I kept thinking that I was somehow damaging the silicone line when installing it or perhaps the line was defective when manufactured and was somehow porous. Lesson learned though, the brass tubing can split and that's what it did.

Take care,
Butch

P.S. For the OP, yes the pitts style mufflers are notorious for not having enough back pressure. Most folks, myself included, have opted to close off one of the exhaust exits. Good luck with it.
Old 08-08-2010, 10:52 AM
spaceworm

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Jezmo

ORIGINAL: w8ye

I've had the exact same thing happen Jim and it took a very long time to finally stumble upon the problem. I knew there was a leak because the bubbles couldn't get in any other way but I couldn't bring myself to believe the brass tube was the problem. I kept thinking that I was somehow damaging the silicone line when installing it or perhaps the line was defective when manufactured and was somehow porous. Lesson learned though, the brass tubing can split and that's what it did.

Take care,
Butch

P.S. For the OP, yes the pitts style mufflers are notorious for not having enough back pressure. Most folks, myself included, have opted to close off one of the exhaust exits. Good luck with it.

Or, restrictors can be fitted to both stacks to use them both for good effect. Either neck them down with a dull bladed tubing cutter, or fit tubing inside with a smaller id than originally. These inserts can also be used to extend the stacks if necessary. Hold tubing in with JB Weld or small screws.

Regards,

Richard