Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

What size is this engine?

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2010, 01:34 PM
hugger-4641
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What size is this engine?

It has the number 29 stamped near the bottom of the case on the same side as the name McCoy is stamped. Is that the size? It appears to be a control line engine. What else can anyone tell me about this engine?

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh14745.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	22.9 KB
ID:	1480840   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mh18947.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	19.0 KB
ID:	1480841   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bg92775.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	23.4 KB
ID:	1480842  
Old 08-08-2010, 01:45 PM
noveldoc
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: What size is this engine?

Should be McCoy 29.

Tom
Old 08-08-2010, 01:45 PM
rambler53
My Feedback: (494)

When you finally get it tuned, it's worn out.
Old 08-08-2010, 02:12 PM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

The engine dates from the Early 50's.

I used to own one when I was a kid. I never wore it out. I flew it in control line for many years. 9 X 6 prop

The engine actually belonged to my dad. He bought it in 1952. He lost interest and I inherited the engine

It was ideal for control line in the 50's

You need 20% all castor oil fuel with 5% nitro for this engine

Old 08-08-2010, 02:22 PM
hugger-4641
My Feedback: (6)

Thanks for all the replies.
A young fellow I have been teaching to fly had this engine in his garage, it belonged to his granddad and he wanted to know if I could help him get it running and put it on some kind of a plane for him. Would it be worth the trouble to find a carb to fit it for use on an RC plane instead of control line?
Old 08-08-2010, 02:45 PM
spaceworm

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: hugger-4641

Thanks for all the replies.
A young fellow I have been teaching to fly had this engine in his garage, it belonged to his granddad and he wanted to know if I could help him get it running and put it on some kind of a plane for him. Would it be worth the trouble to find a carb to fit it for use on an RC plane instead of control line?

It looks like the venturi is horn shaped and/or tapered, so getting a carb to fit would be difficult. However, quite a few years ago, I fooled with the idea of using a piece of silicone tubing to connect an RC carb to my Fox .35 combat engine. Although I got the tubing and all set up, I never actually tried it. I bought a K&B .40 RC engine instead. One problem on my Fox was that there was no provision for mounting a muffler. It is kinda hard to see, but it looks like there are holes for through bolts from the far side to the exhaust side that can be used to hold a muffler. Might be hard to find the right bolt spacing. Be sure to use lots of castor in the fuel, these are plain bearing (bushing) engines and need oil.

Or, contact Brodaks in PA and get a UC plane and stuff and fly it in circles. I recently gave away a Ringmaster CL plane because one circle around in a CL plane now, and I would likely trip on my own feet and crash the plane. I flew CL stunt and combat in the earliy fifties.

Good luck.

Regards,

Richard
Old 08-08-2010, 02:49 PM
rambler53
My Feedback: (494)

RARE VINTAGE McCOY "SPORTSMAN" .29 C/L - F/F REAR-ROTOR RACING SPEED MODEL AIRPLANE ENGINE, CIRCA 1949, MADE IN USA BY DURO-MATIC PRODUCTS! Displacement is .296ci Taken from an ad on e bay.

It's a fixed venturi cast into the case, there is no carb upgrade for it. I never heard anything good about a McCoy in latter years when they failed to stay in business. You could easily pick up a small .25 schnuerle port airplane engine for RC that will fit the application out of the box.
Old 08-08-2010, 03:13 PM
spaceworm

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah, an OS FP25 would be more than the equal of the Mac 29. The current model of the FP is the LA25 I think. Used on fleabay pretty cheap.

Regards,

Richard
Old 08-08-2010, 03:32 PM
dennis
My Feedback: (90)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Actually any modern 25 has a lot more to offer then the old Sportsman 29. It came out about 49/50 along with an 09, 19 and 36. I used
the 09 and 36 in my youth and while some will say that they were wonderful engines, most of my experience was with less then new examples. They did wear out relatively fast but probably more to mishandling and bad fuel then metallurgy. They wern't very powerful a and a lot of us older flyers seem to blot out he bad details of the hobby and remember things in a rosier light.
Usually I had to resort to a shot of 30 wt oil, a prime and then flip the thing fast to get it going. But I was a kid and it was free and life was good, so what did I care.
if your example is in good shape you can use it with an all castor based fuel fo 25/29%. Don't skimp on this or you'll have a nice paperweight and have ruined a piece of modelling history.
dennis