Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

magnum xl180 4 stroke

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2010, 11:50 PM
parpar1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: magnum xl180 4 stroke

Thanks for the support guys. You pay that kind of money for a toy you expect better. I am sure inthe long run they will take care of me. I need to dig up my photos from last time and the paper work, which of course right now i can not find it, but i know it is somewhere around here. Next week i will talk to Marvin at FV who i showed the original issue to at the field during an event we had. So i hope he remembers the details.

Side note it is a little strange one sheet of the paper work states it is a mag FS 180 instead of a xl 180 RFS. Also this new motor does not have a blue head. I guess i need to dig into the details and make sure i got a xl 180 rfs back and not a FS180. Which i do not know the differance between teh two yet. Need to do some reading. One thing for sure, this motor has way more compression then the old one ever had. For the life of me i can not turn the crank past the compression strokeby handgripping the prop back plate. I guess that is good news.

Enough of that drama time to break it in a gallon of 15% castor blend. still just cant get myself to go to 100% syn becasue of the water attraction/ rust it promotes.

Party on!
Old 10-01-2010, 11:58 PM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

There's only two of those engines and the only difference is the blue valve cover which will no longer be blue after 100 flights or so.

Stay with the blended oil in your fuel
Old 10-02-2010, 09:52 PM
parpar1

All bolted in and ready to go.. i am a little taken back by the amount of compression this one has. It makes me believe therewas a flaw with the first one. Cant wait to start breaking it in Sunday.
Old 10-02-2010, 10:14 PM
w8ye

The other one [probably had a cracked piston from the beginning?
Old 10-03-2010, 02:57 AM
asmund

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Me and a fried have one of those 180`s each, and we run them hard on 17-6 and 16-8 props high in the 9K rpm and the engines just love it, they also really like nitro and will provide more and more power the more nitro you pour in. I`m thinking your engine had a defect right from the assembly line, I have never before heard about a split piston head like this, no matter what abuse might have been done.
Old 10-03-2010, 03:44 AM
fiery
My Feedback: (2)

I'm with Asmund on this. The FS 180 was a bold move by Sanye ... the first four stroke they released that had no direct geneology from an existing counterpart OS four stroke.

Mine is docile and well mannered. I do not regret buying it over it's more highly thought of direct rival, the Saito 180.

I am sure you will grow to love yours now that it is (hopefully) sorted.

As well, you can now by them for USD 240 plus shipping from a certain high profile chinese e-tailer. That is great value.

Keep posting and let us know how you get on. Mine loves an APC 17 x 6.
Old 10-03-2010, 01:29 PM
the Wasp
My Feedback: (1)

Received 41 Likes on 39 Posts

parpar1
you know, as I was Braking-In my Son's 180 I found the Head Bolts needed tightening every 3 or 4 Tanks of Fuel,, do you remember how tight your Head Bolts were when you took it apart ??

this is a large Engine, I'm getting 8600 on 20% with an APC 17x8W, I think that is a very good number, the better pilots in my club that have flew my Son's plane were quite impressed with it's power..

Jim

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj22671.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	176.6 KB
ID:	1510290  
Old 10-03-2010, 01:43 PM
goirish

ORIGINAL: parpar1

edit for update minutes after post.

I get the motor back today but was told very disturbing information. The guy that called said this is the last time they will fix it under warranty because he said this is the second exchange. And the motor was distroyed from being ran lean ''agian''. .
The first time was because the carb leaked around the manifold. I told the person that today and he said nope, first time was for a lean condition exchange. I told him no way It was exchanged because the motor had the same case corrosion on it i complained about when i sent it in. . Plus someone called me to ask if i wanted him to mail it to my house or drop it off at HP in FV. And we discussed the leaky carb issue, and him adjusting the valves. Nothing was said about an exchange or lean rebuild. So i am very confused. I am so pissed. As for this time, it is probably safe to say it was lean, but again because of the leaks. What the heck am i to do about that. I did not know it was leaking so bad until it was too late. And if i ran it any richer it would not run. Trust me everyone at my field can not be idiots and not know how to adjust a motor. So if the motor never had the manufacturing defects to start with i would not be typing this right now. So now if it has leaks in the carb again or the rod lets go i am screwed no more repairs. I think they mixed up boxes with serial numbers or something because i think i would remember if the guy told me he did a rebuild vs fixed a leak and adjusted valves.

So i am pissed becasue when i tried to talk to the guy about it he did not want to hear it. Hell i am an engineer for Boeing and everyknows we go overboard on details. I think i know what i was told last time. I am going to try to talk to someone about in managment. Damn i am pissed. I have always backed HobbyPeople and there products.

Hey read my post "Hobby people got in my nickers" told my mag was under warranty on the phone but when it got ready to be sent back 143.00 bill for a Mag 70. Said they had no record of my buying it. Yet, they had it when it was new to replace weak valve springs.
Mr. Greenshields or who ever on of the moderators said it was time to be involved won't do anything.
Old 10-03-2010, 01:59 PM
gkamysz
My Feedback: (19)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: the Wasp

parpar1
you know, as I was Braking-In my Son's 180 I found the Head Bolts needed tightening every 3 or 4 Tanks of Fuel,, do you remember how tight your Head Bolts were when you took it apart ??

this is a large Engine, I'm getting 8600 on 20% with an APC 17x8W, I think that is a very good number, the better pilots in my club that have flew my Son's plane were quite impressed with it's power..

Jim
Every Magnum and ASP four stroke I've had has had loose fasteners out of the box new. I'd don't know what the deal is. It must be cheaper skip tightening them.
Old 10-04-2010, 02:02 PM
parpar1

Hey guys.
Bolts were tight on the old motor. went thru them right out of the box. Same for this replacement.

Questions- guys that are happy with theirs. What plug / rating?. what fuel-%oil, blend and nitro? do you know what temp you are at after landing? Outside temp? Have you done any mods?

Ok Sunday / 75F outside - Ran Hobby People 15% nitro, castor / syn blend. Ran a tank to break it in on the bench. Ran 1/2 tank flying around rich, twice. temp was 120 to 125F after landing. Dialed the bottom in and top in but still rich. in flight bottom rich, mid perfect, top rich, 1/2 tank. Dialed bottom in a little more. In flight bottom good, mid better, top rich. Came in adjusted to top some more. Took off- bottom fine, mid fine, last 25% of throttle seemed rich or something just not right. Landed was 140F and lean on the bottom. Opened the bottom a little to comp for closing the top, adjust the top some more. In flight, a little rich bottom, perfect mid and just not right on the top. Had another person play with the top, backing the high speed needle about a 1/2 turn from max rpm and it still did not seem right and the oil residue on the wing was getting kind of dark / burnt. At 75% to 100% throttle, no real response to throttle position change. Stopped screwing with it because we notice fuel on the carb and started thinking the high speed needle is leaking. Notes- fuel tank is on the center line of the carb, fuel lines are all new (just replaced). Seems to have back pressure / fuel tank pressure. Hovering seemed to help lean it out a little but still did not seem right . But that bugs me because when perfect in horizontal flight hovering will be lean.

I am going to replace the plug with a YS 4stroke, add fuel tubing on the high speed needle to seal it and add a piece of tubing on the muffler outlet to increase fuel pressure some more and see if that gives us any clues.

Any other suggestions?
Old 10-04-2010, 10:39 PM
NM2K
My Feedback: (14)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: parpar1

Hey guys.
Bolts were tight on the old motor. went thru them right out of the box. Same for this replacement.

Questions- guys that are happy with theirs. What plug / rating?. what fuel-%oil, blend and nitro? do you know what temp you are at after landing? Outside temp? Have you done any mods?

Ok Sunday / 75F outside - Ran Hobby People 15% nitro, castor / syn blend. Ran a tank to break it in on the bench. Ran 1/2 tank flying around rich, twice. temp was 120 to 125F after landing. Dialed the bottom in and top in but still rich. in flight bottom rich, mid perfect, top rich, 1/2 tank. Dialed bottom in a little more. In flight bottom good, mid better, top rich. Came in adjusted to top some more. Took off- bottom fine, mid fine, last 25% of throttle seemed rich or something just not right. Landed was 140F and lean on the bottom. Opened the bottom a little to comp for closing the top, adjust the top some more. In flight, a little rich bottom, perfect mid and just not right on the top. Had another person play with the top, backing the high speed needle about a 1/2 turn from max rpm and it still did not seem right and the oil residue on the wing was getting kind of dark / burnt. At 75% to 100% throttle, no real response to throttle position change. Stopped screwing with it because we notice fuel on the carb and started thinking the high speed needle is leaking. Notes- fuel tank is on the center line of the carb, fuel lines are all new (just replaced). Seems to have back pressure / fuel tank pressure. Hovering seemed to help lean it out a little but still did not seem right . But that bugs me because when perfect in horizontal flight hovering will be lean.

I am going to replace the plug with a YS 4stroke, add fuel tubing on the high speed needle to seal it and add a piece of tubing on the muffler outlet to increase fuel pressure some more and see if that gives us any clues.

Any other suggestions?

One and a half tanks of fuel and you are hovering the plane with a new, unbroken-in engine? Forget the temp crap. It is pointless. You are running the engine too lean while it isn't broken-in yet. That is why you are grinding its insides out and seeing it in the exhaust goop. Yes, I'm an old fart and I do things the old way for a reason. It works!

Ed Cregger
Old 10-05-2010, 02:24 PM
parpar1

I guess I want to respond to you saying “that is why you are grinding its insides out" After rereading my post to understand why you said that. It turns out I left some key points outs. My bad it was late when I typed it up and I had a few beers while watching football. And I left out a very important fact. That fact being that the Hobby People tech ran it, and ran it up to 9,000 rpms on the bench before i got it. I did not give it much thought until at the field running it and talking about it with friends. So at that point we assumed he broke it in before he ran it at max RPM. And we assumed that because it seemed to have great compression and would idle at very low throttle settings. They said it would not idle that good or start so easy if the rings were not set. So it was decided to get it in the air and do the last part of the break in procedure. Yep peer pressure sucks. And I left out that I fueled up between adjustments. So with out repeating everything again bottom line is after bench break-in I almost ran four tanks, about 40-50 minutes of run time at a minimum with the top end rich. And this was over a four hour time frame to allow cooling which I left out too. I guess my point was the fact that I could not get a constant throttle curve.
<meta content="text/html; charset=utf-8" http-equiv="Content-Type"><meta content="Word.Document" name="ProgId"><meta content="Microsoft Word 11" name="Generator"><meta content="Microsoft Word 11" name="Originator"><meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8"><meta name="ProgId" content="Word.Document"><meta name="Generator" content="Microsoft Word 11"><meta name="Originator" content="Microsoft Word 11" /></meta></meta></meta></meta></meta></meta></meta>
Old 10-05-2010, 02:30 PM
w8ye

It is best to break them in while in the air after you initially get the needles set.

Larger four strokes may take 3 or 4 gallons of fuel to fully develop their potential
Old 10-05-2010, 03:53 PM
parpar1

ORIGINAL: w8ye

It is best to break them in while in the air after you initially get the needles set.

Larger four strokes may take 3 or 4 gallons of fuel to fully develop their potential
Thanks w8ye.

3 to 4 gallons dang!! Thanks for that. I guess i will keep it rich for a few more tanks and see if the throttle curve gets better and then run three or four keeping it a little rich.

I might go out today. Put in a new ys plug, added a piece of fuel tube over the high speed needle.

Old 10-05-2010, 04:48 PM
w8ye

You do not have to keep it noticeably rich that long.

3 or 4 gallons is just how long it will take to get it fully worn in to where it runs best.
Old 10-09-2010, 11:21 PM
parpar1

Changed the plug and ran another four tanks thru it rich today.  It still has a really strange thottle curve from 75% to 100%.   at 75% i had it rich but runnning good.  when i would open it up it would lose about 50% power / get richer. So bottom rich as i could go without it dying and top really rich, smoking hard on the stand. But it would seem tuned / lean at 75%.  Almost like the carb has been modified to pour in the gas at full throttle..  I know some of you would say this is normal for being rich but if you flew you too would say it seems strange. think i need to pull teh carb and give it a look.  FYI high speed needle looks a little scratched up / worn. Interresting
Old 10-30-2010, 07:38 PM
parpar1

Update. I am getting real tired of screwing with this thing. Still have the strange throttle curve and 50 to 75% throttle runs hard, too hard for break in. full throttle really rich, really rich. Today decided to check for the carb to manifold leak and yep startedleaking. just fixed it. If this one burns up, as they put it (HP), i am so done with magnums.

i am afriad that once i do break it in and set the top end right the mid is going to be way to lean based on what i see now. which is where i fly most of the time.

i guess after this third gallon i will tune her up and if she still is a ***** .... ANyone want to buy a 180 mag?
Old 10-31-2010, 03:52 AM
Patxipt

ANyone want to buy a 180 mag?
10 bucks!
Old 11-01-2010, 08:35 AM
parpar1

ORIGINAL: Patxipt

ANyone want to buy a 180 mag?
10 bucks!
I would feel bad selling to you for that much. Can't do that to a friend.

i did not get to fly it as much as i wanted to yesterday because the field was packed. And i went home pissed because of this motor. It is taking all the fun out of flying.

Old 11-01-2010, 10:57 AM
Patxipt

A dime, then

Honestly, let me know if you want to part with it.
Old 11-01-2010, 11:17 AM
goirish

same here. I have one and I love it. Make me an offer I can't refuse.
Old 11-01-2010, 12:13 PM
NM2K
My Feedback: (14)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

One of the things that you sacrifice when you choose a less expensive engine is the ability to fly it at its highest performance capability right out of the box. OS is among the best in this regard. You get what you pay for.

However, the good news is that after a gentle, but a somewhat lengthy break-in, you'll have nearly the same great performance as you would have obtained, had you bought the OS engine. In some cases (ABC two-strokes), you'll have the potential to outlast OS' ABL two-stroke engines.

Be patient and follow the great advice that you have been given by others. And stop being a hot head and making nasty proclamations. Sanye could care less.

Ed Cregger
Old 11-01-2010, 12:20 PM
goirish

Hey Ed, let him be a hothead, that way he may sell me the engine
Old 11-01-2010, 01:40 PM
parpar1

ORIGINAL: NM2K

One of the things that you sacrifice when you choose a less expensive engine is the ability to fly it at its highest performance capability right out of the box. OS is among the best in this regard. You get what you pay for.

However, the good news is that after a gentle, but a somewhat lengthy break-in, you'll have nearly the same great performance as you would have obtained, had you bought the OS engine. In some cases (ABC two-strokes), you'll have the potential to outlast OS' ABL two-stroke engines.

Be patient and follow the great advice that you have been given by others. And stop being a hot head and making nasty proclamations. Sanye could care less.

Ed Cregger
Sure do get what you pay for. Wish you guys could come see it first hand. I have been flying for over 30 years and have never had a motor with a throttle curve like this. It is just strange.

I know i am stil in break in. i am crossing my fingers that it will be everything i hoped for. But for now it is frustrating. I just do not like when things do not work like they should. Once this third gallon is gone i am going to crank it up.

I hope Sanye is listening. This thread is my record of discussion is a round about way.
Old 11-01-2010, 01:43 PM
parpar1

ORIGINAL: goirish

same here. I have one and I love it. Make me an offer I can't refuse.
What year did you buy yours? Blue head? No leaks between the carb and intake manifold? I put soapy water on that interface and blow lightly, with a hose in the carb inlet, and bubbles big time.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.