RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Glow Engines (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/glow-engines-114/)
-   -   Enya 4-C's (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/glow-engines-114/10628923-enya-4-cs.html)

skyshot 07-19-2011 11:10 AM

Enya 4-C's

Anybody collecting Enya 4 strokes (4-C's). Not much info. on collectability, rarity of certain displacement, etc. on the web. I see the retailers have pretty much dried up and especially in the U.S.

earlwb 07-19-2011 11:41 AM

RE: Enya 4-C's

No one at present is importing the engines into the USA. You can buy direct from Enya in Japan though.
Some of the early engines tend to be collectable. But Enya engines are very nice engines and last a long time and wear well.

skyshot 07-19-2011 12:25 PM

Thanks, I've got a couple of them and find thier simple, rugged and the "gear is in the rear" design is forgiving for that occasional unexpected landing. I've currently got 4 no flyers (new in the box) and a lead on a fifth. One 53, 60, 90 and a 120. The chase is for a n.i.b. 46. If I continue, the 240 VT is going to hurt ($). Have been flying on and off for 50+ years and just never got interested in Enya. Now I wish I did.

fizzwater2 07-19-2011 01:01 PM

I've got a .41 4-stroke I look forward to running someday.. just don't know when!

fordman1 07-19-2011 01:08 PM

The 240 V twin is about the only Enya 4 cycle that is really worth anything as a collectable and it ain't cheap.

mike109 07-19-2011 03:55 PM

G'day

I have a small collection of Enyas - 45CX two stroke, 45SS two stroke, 46 4C, 53 4C and most recently 41 4C Diesel. They are great engines.

The two strokes are in planes and fly regularly. The 53 4C is in a Sig Mid Star 40 and suits it extremely well. The 41 4CD is on a test stand and I have been running it.

In Australia, the company that handled Enya for many years has gone all electric and left Enya hanging in the wind so I have been buying from a small importer who gets his engines direct from Enya in Japan. I have also bought spares parts direct from Ken Enya. His website is easy to use and he answers emails promptly and in serviceable clear english.

Enya engines are not cheap but their quality lasts. They are also still using the "old school" iron/steel piston/liner setup which takes some running in but then lasts and lasts.

Cheers

Mike in Oz

skyshot 07-19-2011 04:47 PM

Mike... I know everybody seems to use them. Took me a long time to finally try one out (it was a 53-4c) and it's great! Relatively inexpensive on the secondary market (RCU / Ebay). Always used Super Tigre's but between moving ops to China and the 4 stroke "take over" at my last club I've retired all but one. Not sure just why, but I'm making an attempt at having all the 4-C's. One trouble with that collection is I keep finding one that I had no idea existed. Even found an "open rocker" model like the early Saito's and O.S.'s.. I figured I'd ask around (if any collectors) or Enya experts out there to fill me in on my new quest.

fordman1 07-19-2011 07:58 PM

Enya has been using AAC pistons and liners for years. That's aluminum piston, and chromed aluminum liner.

mike109 07-19-2011 11:16 PM

G'day

Yes, some of Enya's engines are AAC. The CX series in particular are AAC. My 45CX is a great engine. I have no idea how old it is but it goes really well and is AAC. I found this out when I pulled it apart to replace its bearings. The liner weighs nothing.

The SS series are Iron (Meehanite I suspect) pistons with steel liners or iron rings on aluminium pistons in steel liners. My SS 45 BB (ringed) is iron ring, aluminium piston and steel liner and the four stroke glow engines are too. The 41 4C diesel is a lapped iron piston in a steel liner.

I remember way back about 1975 I bought my first Enya. A 15 glow. It took ages to get it to run in but once there it was a brilliant little engine which we used in control line planes to good effect.

Some time about 1990 I bought a 40SS which I put in a trainer. I was disappointed at the time as it was not all that powerful but I suspect I simply had not run it in properly before trying to fly it. I bought a couple of second hand ones recently and found that Ken still has piston and liner sets to suit them so one got a new piston and liner and is now like new. The other one ran like a train and I sold it with a trainer.

I love 'em and will buy more if they turn up at the right price.

Mike in Oz

skyshot 07-20-2011 06:41 AM

Great! Just found out there's a 35-4c open rocker and Fizzwater2 is talking about a 41 (or is that the 40?). Maybe I picked the wrong line to collect. Does "Enya" translate to "Endless" in English? Gonna' need a bigger bottle of after-run oil!

fizzwater2 07-20-2011 07:24 AM

Nope - it's a 41. I believe the .41 diesel 4 stroke was based on it. Mine's the glow version.

gkamysz 07-20-2011 07:29 AM

I'd say the only collectable Enya 4C are the open rocker 35 and 40. The VT-240 is also desirable.

Enya 41-4C and 41-4CD are current production.

donkey doctor 08-12-2011 08:13 AM

Hello; I have a few
enya 4c`s

35 open rocker
40 open rocker
46 4C 4 of them
53 4C
80 4, 2 of these
90 4c
and a
120 4c

the only ones I`m missing are the 41 and the 60. Once you accept the forward facing glow plug, you will get along with these engines just fine.
I shouldn`t have taken the 80 out of the 4-star60 to put that OS 95 fv into it.

95 fv

tiffitech 08-12-2011 08:57 AM

I have two 46-4c, a unrun 60-4c, an 90-4c and an 120-4c (first version, not the more powerful R120-4c).
There are approx 20 two strokers from enya that I've bought mostly used and cheap of ebay, old 19-something, 29-IV
19X 21X, SS25 SS30,SS40 (not a single -BB jet) little 09ers and so on.
I've rebuilding those little gems just for fun, still don't have much flying practice..

Sometimes before one wrote in one of the two big Enya threads here that he wonders why the heck a precision accustoming
german that has or had engines from Webra, HB and others around it would buy japanese enyas.
The answer is very simple: That Enya engines are beautifully engeneered and build. The horsepower numbers that one can read
in Enyas datasheets are underestimated, a thing that isn't common anymore..

I've got parts directly from Ken Enya, for old engines too, not a problem in most cases. You can ask Ken about the angle for the
prop driver on an -15 and you will get an precise answer next day in the mail. So far so good.

{I have an older Rossi 90 RV RC I'm searching an crankshaft for, mailed to Axe-Rossi 3 times, they don't even answer.. just as a
comparsion how different manufactures are doing in the support area..
(Now I have found a guy in the us that will me selling one for $110 + ~$14 Shipping. If it arrives in germany I have to pay
boarder customs of 19% additionally....hmmm.... do I really need that engine??)}

And yes, I do have Webras and HB engines too, but still wondering why people are paying the prices for OS Engines and parts,
Those Engines really aren't that special like their prices.

Kind Regards,

Holm

skyshot 08-12-2011 09:30 AM

Well, I got a reply (local) to my RCU want ad and I now have a 46 4-C II, loosely N.I.B. Been stored awhile.
Let's see... now I have a 46, 53, 60, 80 & a 120 all new with boxes and assorted goodies inc. a flex muffler for the 120. I see lot's of 90's for sale but all used.
I've got a new Sig Kavalier near done (O.S. 40 FP) for power and I just joined a new club so maybe the flying (and destruction) will begin.
Had to pick up my first ARF. I'm almost ashamed to fly something I haven't built but ... oh well. Actually, I saw the Hangar 9 "DeNight" and just had to have one.

Thinking of a winter project to put a 53 4C to work. First thoughts are a Pete'n Poke or maybe a Top Flite Elder... any thoughts or experience on these or other kit's?

rcdude7 08-13-2011 06:20 PM

ORIGINAL: donkey doctor

Hello; I have a few
enya 4c`s

35 open rocker
40 open rocker
46 4C 4 of them
53 4C
80 4, 2 of these
90 4c
and a
120 4c

the only ones I`m missing are the 41 and the 60. Once you accept the forward facing glow plug, you will get along with these engines just fine.
I shouldn`t have taken the 80 out of the 4-star60 to put that OS 95 fv into it.

95 fv

Oh, here we go......

In fourcycles I have the,

2X .46
2X .90
1.20R
and one new VT-2.40

I have many more of the two strokes in various sizes, like about 20 or more.........[&:] BTW, I have closer to 30 total.

Yhea, it's a disease, if there is a support group for enya owners, I need to attend a meeting or two.

skyshot 08-13-2011 07:48 PM

Ah! ... you have the VT240! I'm going to spring for one of these (eventually).

Maybe we can set up a "EA"... kinda' like "AA" . It's built into our nature. "If one thing is good, lot's of them must be better".
With me, it's left over from when I was a kid. Never could get enough scratch together to go R/C and almost always had a UC Ringmaster all patched up with the lowest compression Mc Coy ever to turn a prop.

I use to be heavy into one he** of a gun collection but have sold most of them off over the years. Still keep some target stuff. Ever notice, there's quite a few flyers that are into gun collecting.

On the other hand, my father-in-law gave me the best advise more than 40 years ago. "You want to collect something.... collect money".

Let's get some pictures up!

rcdude7 08-13-2011 08:26 PM

ORIGINAL: skyshot

Ah! ... you have the VT240! I'm going to spring for one of these (eventually).

It took a few years of looking to find one at a reasonable price ($600) The box is tatered and torn though, but the engine is perfect.

Kmot 08-14-2011 07:28 AM

1 Attachment(s)

ORIGINAL: gkamysz

I'd say the only collectable Enya 4C are the open rocker 35 and 40. The VT-240 is also desirable.

Enya 41-4C and 41-4CD are current production.
A NIB 40-4C open rocker just sold at a BIN price of $280 on the auction site.

skyshot 08-14-2011 08:56 AM

Tom..... I'll give you two free guesses on who hit the "Buy it Now" option.

Hope it's as nice as it looks in the picutres. This is what happens when your retired, living in Florida and have nothing better to do with your life other than check for the latest Enya listing on Ebay...... Hey, it's too darn hot to take the bike for a ride anyway.

All... seems like I'm not the only one interested in Enya's.... anybody know enough to set up a collectors web site?

Kmot 08-14-2011 12:34 PM

Ha Ha, congrats! :D

Here is a little video of mine to whet your appetite!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y_iMwWfz7Vg

skyshot 08-14-2011 01:03 PM

I did see this video before when I was browsing Enya's. Nice job!

skyshot 08-15-2011 12:18 PM

Ouch! I got carried away and bid (ebay) on that beautiful O.S. FS-60 "Open Rocker" that was N.I.B. Got me up close to 3 bills and went way over that.
Somebody should tell Gordon Liddy that he may be banking on the wrong thing (gold).... could "open rockers" be the next investment skyrocket?

P.S. Just in case anybody out there is investing or considering "gold".... careful! The more they sell, the bigger the demand, the more it costs... If it's such a good investment, why are they selling it? .....and..... where's it comming from and who's getting the money?

rcdude7 08-15-2011 01:56 PM

Gold will always be valuable as it is not just another pretty looking metal. Gold has properties that no other metals have, it is special.

skyshot 08-15-2011 02:28 PM

Agreed! Positively!
but.... commodities can be manipulated. It was done in the 70's to silver. DeBeers does it to diamonds and OPEC does it to oil.

The way I look at it, the last time gold coins we're in circulation (around 1920) a good weeks pay was a double eagle ($20.00). In 2011 a good weeks pay would be around $1,600 - $1,800. Kind of simplistic (and I know gold was undervalued up to this "run-up") but I'm hearing $2,500 to $5,000 an ounce as a possibility.

Besides, it doesn't fly worth a &^%$ and I'm too old to invest anymore.