RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Glow Engines (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/glow-engines-114/)
-   -   UMS Evolution Radial Care and Operation (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/glow-engines-114/10723075-ums-evolution-radial-care-operation.html)

Heli-NuBee 08-22-2012 01:55 PM

RE: UMS Evolution Radial Care and Operation

Hey Jerry,

I am usning the McDaniel's system on a three cylinder radial and the Microsens system with a LiPo battery on the UMS Evolution 777 radial engine. Both of these on board systems work well. They can be used for bench running as well as on the aircraft. Cost is in the $200.00 range. Here are the web links McDaniel's - http://www.sonictronics.com/xcart/home.php and Microsens http://www.microsens.at/. You can find information about these systems including operating manuels on these web sites.

Roger

Skyflyer 08-22-2012 02:31 PM

:DRoger...Thanks a lot. I'd glimpsed that Microsense name before, but it got lost in the mental fuzz. With the enthusiasm and willingness to help that you and Maxam display, I do believe that I will pick up that 777. Hope to chat with you again. Jerry

Skyflyer 08-22-2012 02:36 PM

Tom...Thanks for your help with the batteries and wiring. I think it's time for me to start at page one of the thread and comb thru it. No doubt I'll find some added tidbits to fill my empty plate:) Jerry

Heli-NuBee 08-22-2012 06:00 PM

Hey Jerry,

I have flown RC planes since about 1970 but I am also new to radial engines. Tom (maxium) is a much better resource for radial engine information. He has been quite helpful to me and that is one of the reasons I am now having success with my radial engines. Thanks for your help, Tom.

Roger

Maxam 08-23-2012 02:55 AM

Thank you Roger, There is always room for learning and improvement. I have learned much from a German gentleman named Detlef Kunkel. He is the ultimate expert. I have recently read a book called Pratt and Whitney's Major Miracle. It is a 400 page book all on the 28 cylinder R4360. There are so many concepts I have learned from that book! Also Kevin Camron is a brilliant writer on engine theory. As I have said before, these new "affordable" radials have completly rejuvinated my interest in the hobby. -Tom

Skyflyer 08-23-2012 05:49 AM

:eek:I remember my first "meeting" with the R4360: It was a motorized cutaway display at the Spruce Goose hangar in Long Beach. Spent more time studying that beautiful machine than I did the aircraft. Thanks for the bibllography...I could use some "radial revitalization" too. Jerry

Linkan2 08-23-2012 10:46 AM

<span id="result_box" lang="en"><span class="hps">Hi</span>
<span class="hps">I have a</span> <span class="hps">question</span> <span class="hps">for the future</span> <span class="hps">Evo</span> <span class="hps">/</span> <span class="hps">UMS</span> <span class="hps">radial engines</span><span>.</span>
<span class="hps">if you look</span> <span class="hps">today</span> <span class="hps">Horzons</span> <span class="hps">website so</span> <span class="hps">it's a little</span> <span class="hps">parts for</span> <span class="hps">the engines.</span>

<span class="hps">Maybe</span> <span class="hps">Peter</span> <span class="hps">bergstrom</span> <span class="hps">can</span> <span class="hps">answer</span> <span class="hps">it if it</span> <span class="hps">becomes more</span> <span class="hps">parts</span><span>?</span> <span class="hps">'.</span>
<span class="hps">These engines</span> <span class="hps">will</span> <span class="hps">be broken</span> <span class="hps">any day</span><span>!
Lars<br type="_moz"/></span></span>

pappy 883 08-23-2012 02:50 PM

I got my 7-77 out for the first time today,
Couldn't locate any 100% methanol so , went with 10%nitro ,18%syn.Cool Power.
Went with a 22X10 2 blade so as not to load up heat with the nitro.
3 turns out on high speed, 2 turns low.
Took many flips with full choke @ full throttle just to get fuel to flow to the carb.
Using a homemade battery 5 "c" cells 1.2v X 1700mah = 8500 ma.
1/4 throttle , hit it with the electric starter......she lit right up , purred like a kitten.
I was shocked after reading about some of the storys.
The only issue was losing #3 cyl during the third run, due to a bad crimp on the glow plug connector.
Really happy with it, smooth , really quiete even with the straight header pipes.
followed up with 2 flushes with afterun oil ( of course)
thanx to all you guys for all your input, I read the whole thread twice . guess it pays off to research.yes?

Skyflyer 08-23-2012 03:23 PM

Pappy...glad you posted when you did. I brought my 777 home today. Collecter ring on backorder. No one knows where to buy methanol. Ah well I can make believe:)

Orion09 08-23-2012 04:45 PM

I buy my methanol at Home Depot in the paint department.Methyl hydrate is methanol.Was running it with 7% Cool Power synthetic 0% nitro but recently cut 1 liter of 15% nitro 18% oil with 1.57 liters of methyl hydrate to get 7% oil and 5.8% nitro.Runs great.I keep hearing about people searching for methanol.Go to the hardware store. Pete

Skyflyer 08-23-2012 05:47 PM

:)Pete...I do believe you might have improved this coming weekend!

pappy 883 08-24-2012 01:21 PM

ORIGINAL: Orion09

I buy my methanol at Home Depot in the paint department.Methyl hydrate is methanol.Was running it with 7% Cool Power synthetic 0% nitro but recently cut 1 liter of 15% nitro 18% oil with 1.57 liters of methyl hydrate to get 7% oil and 5.8% nitro.Runs great.I keep hearing about people searching for methanol.Go to the hardware store. Pete
The hazmat regs. are a LOT different here than Canada , or the rest of the USA for that matter . In San Diego area no methyl hydrate that i have found..( lucky to have spray paint. enviromental issues) besides, here most local hardware stores around here have been replaced by Home Depots.
Anyway..........it ran great I just took care not to over do it due to the extra heat that the nitro will produce.
Will attempt a wider search for the elusive wood alky. 18 % oil does leave quite a mess.
thanx for the input.

Orion09 08-24-2012 04:17 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I did a product search for methyl hydrate with this company and the country Canada.I got a result for the product.Did the same search with USA as the country and turned up 0 result.I did not realize the product was controled in the states.To bad.

Skyflyer 08-24-2012 04:44 PM

Yeah...I went into Lowes today and asked about Methyl Hydrate. It didn't take long to realize things here are a bit different from Canada. However, the LHS thinks that the outfit that makes up the nitro fuels for them may be able to supply a case of methanol.[&o]

Pull Up Now! 08-26-2012 10:22 AM

I'm a noobie on this thread. Considering either an ASP400 or an Evolution 77cc 7 cyl radial. Which is better, more reliable, and which has parts available when the inevitable repair is needed? Thanks!

Skyflyer 08-26-2012 10:53 AM

Looks like the knowledgeable guys have temporarily departed Cyberland. Personally, before buying my 77 cc engine, I went on to HorizonHobby.com and downloaded the factory manual to determine details of break-in, glow starting and other care and maintenance procedures. I'd already been satisfied that the engine was well liked by scrolling thru the comments on this forum. I don't know anything about ASP engines but this UMS (Seidel) engine was just what I wanted for my 89" PT-17. Heck...I'd probably be satisfied just looking and listening to it tick over on the test stand...almost.:D

nilsreinert123 08-26-2012 11:37 AM

Absolutely a 7-77 :)

I have flying experience with both ASP 400 and Evolution 7-35 ,and the Evolution is better both in running and sound! The ASP depends on onboard glow ,which the Evolution does not need :)

I have mounted the 7-35 in a 2.2meter Monocoupe from Hobbyking which i had the first 10 flights with Saturday ,and it was a good flying :)

I first flew the 7-35 20-30 flights on a 50cc Pitts ,but it was underpowered ,and ended in a hard stop in a take off which never became a take off ,haha :)

Pull Up Now! 08-26-2012 02:56 PM

Thanks for your responses. I appreciate you taking the time. While waiting, I read more and more forums about ASP and Evo(lution). Putting the bits and pieces of info together, a trend emerges that is a bit scary re ASP. for example, from photos, it looks like each conrod is retained by snap rings. The Evo seems to have a round disc doing the retaining, with one LARGE snap ring. So that's one retainer doing the job of 5 or 7 snap rings. Better reliability statistically. Apparently, these snap ring grooves were subject to cracking, probably over hardness. Anyone with an older ASP should learn how to use a torch to draw back (anneal) their pins to a more bluish color.

So, I ordered an Evo 77cc. :D

Pull Up Now! 08-27-2012 11:45 AM

With so many pistons going up and down at the same time, how is induction through the crankcase accomplished? Seems like the vacuum would be negated.

pappy 883 08-27-2012 03:37 PM

ORIGINAL: Pull Up Now!

With so many pistons going up and down at the same time, how is induction through the crankcase accomplished? Seems like the vacuum would be negated.
Not so much at the same time but more like a 7 cyl. WAVE motion like you see the fans do at a football stadium.......
does that make sense ? also the firing order is every other cylinder during rotation.
A complex little gem for sure. That's what makes them so interesting these Radials. Not to mention the accuracy in machining. truly amazing.

Maxam 08-28-2012 02:57 AM

When an exhaust valve opens the piston is traveling down pulling air and fuel in. This is occurring 3.5 times / revolution in a seven cylinder. The volume in a radial crankcase is nearly constant because when some pistons are going to bottom dead center, others on the crankpin side are going towards top dead center. This is why a walbro carb cannot rely on fluctuating crankcase pressure to operate its pump in a radial. -Tom

Pull Up Now! 08-28-2012 08:11 PM

I totally get the "wave" analogy. Maxim, I always thought when the exhaust valve opens, the piston is mainly travelling UP (not down), pushing out the burnt fuel/air mixture. However, I really do "get" the second part of your much-appreciated explanation that with some pistons going up, others are moving down, thus cancelling any volume changes and leaving the volume almost constant. I suppose I was bothered by the intake trying to suck in mixture from this turbulent environment. But this is probably a good thing, promoting lubrication and mixture dispersal. Two questions thoughhas anyone seen a parts list and an exploded view of this engine. Such a drawing would be a work of art. Second, I'd love to hear anyone's experience with Horizon on major repairs. I notice their parts-available is really limited.

Maxam 08-29-2012 03:30 AM

My brain failed me completely. I ment the intake valve!!!!! (I am a moron and I'm OK) From the lumberjack song from Monty Python. -Always proofread! Tom

Pull Up Now! 08-29-2012 05:11 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Hey, Tom, thanks for owning the typo. I've seen pages and pages of pointless "forum jousting" arise out of similarly innocuous errors.

Have you (or anyone) ever seen an exploded parts view of the 77cc, or any Evo Radials? How about a parts list?

Lastly, I wanted to share my "discovery" at a local hardware store. After I bought my 77cc Evolution radial (it has not arrived yet), I decided to see if I could save some money and make my own exhaust ring at a savings of $150. Here's a picture of my discovery....an ornamental copper lawn sprinkler. It costs $26, and the inner ring diameter is a dead match to the ring shown in Horizon's engine diagram. You can see the pivot at the bottom will serve as the exhaust exit. There are some tiny holes that need to be soldered shut, but that's easy. All that remains is to braze in the tubes that fit up to the radial exhausts.

I'd like to know how the Keleo Creations rings are secured to the exhaust pipes.

As I proceed with this project, I'll show photos.

slskn 08-30-2012 06:07 AM

well I flew the Corsair yesterday and put on the 20th flight and on the last go around I noticed a slight power loss so landed and upon taxiing back noticed a ticking sound after shut down, I had a looksee and found one of the push rods missing on number 5 cyl. and luckily the cam follower was still there, a friend was thinking maybe the cam was then hitting the cam follower thus making the ticking sound, I am guessing the gap was so loose that it was able to fall out, anyone else had this problem? the valve spring is still there and every thing else looks good, just have to order a couple of push rods and cam followers just in case this happens again, I thought after the valve adjustment was done it should last longer than 20 or so flights, maybe just loosened up? any thoughts would be appreciated thanks-Steve