RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Glow Engines (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/glow-engines-114/)
-   -   UMS Evolution Radial Care and Operation (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/glow-engines-114/10723075-ums-evolution-radial-care-operation.html)

Pull Up Now! 01-10-2013 08:25 PM

RE: UMS Evolution Radial Care and Operation

SLSKN, thanks for the comments about my home made Evolution 777 radial exhaust collector ring. I bought the sprinkler at Lowes Home Center. It cost about $35. I went in there with a tape measure and went thru the whole store looking for any part of anything that might have a metal tubular ring about the right size. There were a couple lamps that had rings that were close, but the tube diameter was too small. The next best candidates were electrical conduit 90 deg segments. Then, I saw the sprinkler ring, measured it, and became convinced this copper ring would be perfect. I went around the store looking for a magnet to make sure the ring was a non-ferrous metal to make sure it was either brass or copper. The rings were non-magnetic, but I didn't expect it to be because the ring was stainless steel. But it was. The aluminum tube clamps come from my mind. I made them myself on my milling machine.

slskn 01-10-2013 09:06 PM

[quote]ORIGINAL: Pull Up Now!

SLSKN, thanks for the comments about my home made Evolution 777 radial exhaust collector ring. I bought the sprinkler at Lowes Home Center. It cost about $35. I went in there with a tape measure and went thru the whole store looking for any part of anything that might have a metal tubular ring about the right size. There were a couple lamps that had rings that were close, but the tube diameter was too small. The next best candidates were electrical conduit 90 deg segments. Then, I saw the sprinkler ring, measured it, and became convinced this copper ring would be perfect. I went around the store looking for a magnet to make sure the ring was a non-ferrous metal to make sure it was either brass or copper. The rings were non-magnetic, but I didn't expect it to be because the ring was stainless steel. But it was. The aluminum tube clamps come from my mind. I made them myself on my milling machine. Just brilliant. Hope I CAN MAKE THEM ALSO
I am going to try

cymaz 01-10-2013 09:54 PM

In the future I will post some video of my 777 flying the 1/4 scale GW Meteor

Linkan2 02-14-2013 11:50 AM

<span id="result_box" lang="en"><span class="hps">A</span> <span class="hps">member of the club</span> <span class="hps">took this</span> <span class="hps">video on my</span> <span class="hps">Stearman</span><span>.</span>
<span class="hps">Now</span><span>, the exhaust</span> <span class="hps">ring</span> <span class="hps">mounted on the</span> <span class="hps">UMS</span> <span class="hps">7-35.</span>
<span class="hps">So listen</span> <span class="hps">and</span> <span class="hps">enjoy the sound

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=38SLpmwj-ug

Lars<br type="_moz"/></span></span>

pappy 883 02-14-2013 12:25 PM

Way to go Lars ! looks and sounds great!

Maxam 02-14-2013 01:05 PM

Lars, I also like how the collector ring is close to the fuselage so there is little gap. looks real good. -Tom

ILiv2Fly 02-16-2013 09:46 PM

I feel like a bit of an ass posting here, but I'm desperate for some input. I just bought an EVO 777 for a, still in the box, TF Corsair. I just ordered a Super Corsair cowl from fiberglass specialties, which should give me a little more wiggle room inside the cowl. If not, I'll cast a larger cowl based on the fiberglass specialties super corsair pattern so I don't have to be so exact, hopefully, in mounting my motor. Why wouldn't I want to be so exacting in my build. Well, to tell you the truth, I haven't much experience and what experience I did have was forgotten in the midst of a gruelingly long divorce, the death of a child, and a long descent into depression that lasted well over a decade. To revive my building skills, I started a TF Cessna 182 on 01/06/13 and am nearly done with the exception of painting the full, fiberglassed structure. I haven't been on this forum for nearly a decade and have no idea how to start a thread, so please excuse my intrusion here. I'd like to post something about my TF Cessna 182 build, the F4U Corsair odyssey, and the total experience of the Evo 777 from receipt to maiden flight, but have absolutely no idea how to navigate the site.

Pull Up Now! 02-17-2013 04:25 AM

Go to this link, and then hit the "NEW POST" button near the top, on the left.

The reason your're not seeing the button you want yet is because you need to select the subject, and sub-category before the button appears.

I selected Scale Aircraft Build for you, but you don't have to put it there, for example, if the plane is giant scale. There's a separate category for that.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/forumid_169/tt.htm

retransit 02-20-2013 08:18 PM

Maxam, I have a couple of questions. Forgive me if they have been answered before. I realize that the manufacturer calls for 7% oil. Is it the bearings in these engines, as opposed to others, that allow the use of lower oil content fuel? If so, what type of bearings are used?

Another question I have concerns the engine I want to use in a 1/5 scale Boeing Model 40 at approximately 108 inches of wingspan. I was looking at the 99cc nine cylinder because of its size and number of cylinders. I don't know what the all-up weight will be, but I suspect around 30 lbs. The prototype's Wasp is 51 inches in diameter and the 99cc falls right at 1/5 with 10.2 inches. Do you think this engine will work for me as far as power is concerned?

Bob

Maxam 02-21-2013 02:43 AM

Bob, The fuel mixture flows over the bearings, not from just piston blow-by like most 4 cycle engines do. Also the master rod is on roller bearings which require little oil. The bearings are just good quality, nothing exotic. I run 8% after break in.

Sounds like that Boeing model 40 is a formidable project. My older 9-90 (now 99) flies my 25 pound Robin Hood 99 with authority! I am using a 24x12 prop. Now it is a lower wing loading type plane. It would seem that you would have strong performance and the sound.......

slskn 02-21-2013 06:22 AM

ORIGINAL: retransit

Maxam, I have a couple of questions. Forgive me if they have been answered before. I realize that the manufacturer calls for 7% oil. Is it the bearings in these engines, as opposed to others, that allow the use of lower oil content fuel? If so, what type of bearings are used?

Another question I have concerns the engine I want to use in a 1/5 scale Boeing Model 40 at approximately 108 inches of wingspan. I was looking at the 99cc nine cylinder because of its size and number of cylinders. I don't know what the all-up weight will be, but I suspect around 30 lbs. The prototype's Wasp is 51 inches in diameter and the 99cc falls right at 1/5 with 10.2 inches. Do you think this engine will work for me as far as power is concerned?

Bob
Bob check out my corsair on post #684 with the 9-99 and 24x12 2 blade prop weighs 36lbs. no lack of power there.

retransit 02-21-2013 08:26 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Thanks for the answers, guys, Looks like it's a go then. I particularly like the reduced oil slime resulting from lower oil content. I've got an ASP 4.00 in my Fleet, pictured below, that throws the stuff all over the place. Excuse me while I get back to drawing a set of plans.

Bob

Maxam 02-21-2013 08:31 AM

What a cool plane!!

retransit 02-21-2013 10:17 AM

That's the latest version. I had one last year and dorked it. Caused me to build one from plans. It is a Concept Models Fleet. 25.5 lbs. at 1/4 scale.

Bob

cymaz 02-21-2013 10:36 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I put a 7-77 to good use, 1/4 scale meteor monoplane 27lbs and flies with authority on that size radial. Even lands nicely on 6 cylinders!! Lost a push rod, it sounded "funny" so landed then I noticed the missing rod.

Maxam 02-27-2013 06:47 AM

Have any of you ever been to Oshkosh Air Venture? This would be a good year to go because the Radial engine is featured this year. If you have never been you owe it to yourself to go. There are cheap dorm rooms to stay nearby at the local university. Oshkosh can be very motivating to get you to build a scale plane! -Tom

slskn 02-27-2013 06:54 AM

ORIGINAL: Maxam

Have any of you ever been to Oshkosh Air Venture? This would be a good year to go because the Radial engine is featured this year. If you have never been you owe it to yourself to go. There are cheap dorm rooms to stay nearby at the local university. Oshkosh can be very motivating to get you to build a scale plane! -Tom
Been there several times Tom definitely worth going there's nothing else like it.

Maxam 02-27-2013 07:02 AM

This will be my 4th time. The first year I went I got an hour and 10 minute ride in a B-17 for 50 dollars!! Those days are over!

Maxam 02-28-2013 04:42 AM

Spring will be soon! Thought I would put out a check list before we start our radials.
1. Remove those bottom plugs to drain the collected oil.
2. Turn the prop over by hand slowly to clear if needed other cylinders.
3. Using fresh oil on the followers, rockers and springs.
4. Were the valve clearances checked? If not check and adjust following those important instructions early in this thread.
5, Cycle your battery that lights the plugs.
6. I hope the engine was well oiled before being put away. Does it feel crunchy when turning the prop?
7. Remove a bottom tappet to drain excess oil accumulated in the bottom of the cam housing.
Have a great flying season! -Tom

Linkan2 03-02-2013 01:32 AM

<span id="result_box" lang="en"><span class="hps">The va</span> <span class="hps">well written</span> <span class="hps">Tom</span>
<span class="hps">You could call</span> <span class="hps">them</span> <span class="hps">for</span> <span class="hps">the</span> <span class="hps">7</span> <span class="hps">Commandments</span> <span class="hps alt-edited">for</span> <span class="hps">radial engines
Lars<br type="_moz"/></span></span>

Pull Up Now! 03-03-2013 09:02 AM

This will be my 4th time. The first year I went I got an hour and 10 minute ride in a B-17 for 50 dollars!! Those days are over!
uhhhh gosh! WHEN was that??

Maxam 03-03-2013 09:44 AM

Thank you Linkan!
My B-17 ride was in 1982 in Dr. Ralph Hospers plane with the yellow tail. I think rides now run $450.00 for a 20 minute flight.

Reverend 03-04-2013 01:02 AM

Spring will be soon! Thought I would put out a check list before we start our radials.
1. Remove those bottom plugs to drain the collected oil.
2. Turn the prop over by hand slowly to clear if needed other cylinders.
3. Using fresh oil on the followers, rockers and springs.
4. Were the valve clearances checked? If not check and adjust following those important instructions early in this thread.
5, Cycle your battery that lights the plugs.
6. I hope the engine was well oiled before being put away. Does it feel crunchy when turning the prop?
7. Remove a bottom tappet to drain excess oil accumulated in the bottom of the cam housing.
Have a great flying season! -Tom
...and following these great instructions I dragged the Evo out in front of the photografic wallpaper and started it up. First start took about 20 flips although primed well but after that it started at the first flip every time.

can't wait to get that stearman in the air :D

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rz0wXv8RWQI[/youtube]

Rev

Maxam 03-04-2013 04:45 AM

Rev. Is that snow on the ground? These engines are difficult to start in the cold. Your engine sounds terrific! I am looking forward to seeing your stearman completed and flying. -Tom

Reverend 03-04-2013 05:07 AM

Yes, that is snow. It was 5° C on Saturday. Would be great if the engine started easier in warmth. My shoulder hurts a bit :P

The sound is really great but the credit goes entirely to Keleo Creations. Those Rings are just brilliant sound wise, be it on the FS 400 or the Evo 7-77.

Rev