RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Glow Engines (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/glow-engines-114/)
-   -   UMS Evolution Radial Care and Operation (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/glow-engines-114/10723075-ums-evolution-radial-care-operation.html)

montt00 05-03-2017 07:05 AM

Hello modellers.
As you know i'm from the Netherlands but my english is not perfect. So I have a little question. What is the difference between tick-over and idle?
Greetings,
Timo

Silver Lotus 05-03-2017 06:41 PM

Same.
One is British english--Tickover.
One is American english-- Idle.
Of course, "idle" is more correct.

montt00 05-03-2017 11:27 PM

Idle

Thanks for the answer.
Timo

montt00 05-06-2017 07:01 AM

Hello all.
A friend of me has the Evo 7 -160 radial gasser and is busy with the break in procedure. He has some problems.First: Cilinder 1 leaks oil when the engine is running. and second there comes out dirty grey grease of one of the nipples from the crankcase where the pushrods come out.
Are these two things normal?
I like to hear.
Greetings Timo.

Fulcrum2111 05-07-2017 12:50 AM

Hello all.
A friend of me has the Evo 7 -160 radial gasser and is busy with the break in procedure. He has some problems.First: Cilinder 1 leaks oil when the engine is running. and second there comes out dirty grey grease of one of the nipples from the crankcase where the pushrods come out.
Are these two things normal?
I like to hear.
Greetings Timo
my 7-35 spits lightly black oil from the valves of each cylinder but no leaks. I can see in the cowl a black stain over each cylinder the engine runs fantastic.

montt00 05-08-2017 12:41 AM

Yes I agree. These engines normally runs great but the black oil is comming from between the cilinder and cilinder head. He has already tightend the screws, of course with care but without succes.And what is the grey mass comming out of one of the nipples?
Timo

montt00 05-08-2017 08:30 AM

Today I have broke in my Evo 7-77. WHAT AN ENGINE. It runs great, very smooth and the noise is like a real radial. I am very sattisfied. I run the engine with a glow driver from Just Engines in the UK. and it also works great and is very easy to install. Yes I'm a proud owner of an Evo 7-77.
Regards Timo

Scott G 05-08-2017 12:28 PM

I just mounted this to my H9 Corsair. What is the purpose of the spring clip on the end of the prop shaft? I won't be able to use it since I'm putting a spinner adapter nut on the end of the shaft, but I have never seen one of those on a engine before.

montt00 05-09-2017 01:46 AM

Originally Posted by Scott G (Post 12334410)
I just mounted this to my H9 Corsair. What is the purpose of the spring clip on the end of the prop shaft? I won't be able to use it since I'm putting a spinner adapter nut on the end of the shaft, but I have never seen one of those on a engine before.

Hello Scott
If the propnut comes loose there is a chance that you will lose this nut by rotating of the prop. The spring clip prevents this.
Timo

Maxam 05-22-2017 06:16 AM

Many of you might be interested that UMS is sending me a newly redesigned 260 gas radial. Yes this is a glow thread but the gas thread has been inactive for over a year. If promising I will initiate a new thread for the redesigned radials. Like before it is a 7 cylinder engine. -Tom

tsnaylor1964 05-22-2017 09:57 PM

Thanks Tom for doing this, your info on the EVO glow radial engines was invaluable.

barzini 05-23-2017 01:08 PM

Evolution 7-77 Hangar 9 Corsair

Hello,
Does anyone have any info on the Evolution 7-77 in a Hangar 9 60cc Corsair? I have heard it's not enough power for this plane since it ends up being 30 pounds or so.Any info is appreciated.
Thank You

chorner 05-24-2017 05:32 AM

Works great! In stock form it may be slightly "soft" and require you to fly it more on the wing. If you convert it to CDI ignition, it picks up a good amount of power and then it's more than enough. Still won't match the FG84 or FG90 combo for all out power and power-to-weight ratio however, but IMO there's less fiddling to get the 777 to work and balance properly if you are able to make or source your own 1" mounting block that is.

barzini 06-15-2017 02:02 PM

Hello,
I'm interested in putting my Evolution 7-77 radial in a Flair Stearman.Does anyone have any thoughts on this combo? The Flair Stearman has an 89" top wing and should weigh around 20 lbs.Any help is appreciated.
Thanks,Tony

BobH 06-15-2017 02:37 PM

I have the same plane yet unfinished. The 777 is just about the right size albeit a bit small relative to the full sized engine.
At 20 lbs I would think the engine would /should work. The lighter the better.. that's for sure.

badangle 06-15-2017 02:39 PM

I've read post by maxim and I purchased ziroil stearman 77" span based on them. 20lb is very good for warbird...my plane is 20lb or so and being a biplane I'm sure it will be fine.
I have 7-77 in my stearman....will fly it very soon.

barzini 06-16-2017 02:22 AM

Bob,
How far along are you with the Flair Stearman?How is the build going?It seems like a real nice kit.
Thanks,T.C.

Maxam 06-16-2017 04:42 AM

Oh Good!

Some life back in the thread! I am confident with both Stearmans. Use a 25x12 prop and all will be well. Post pictures from time to time gentlemen. -Tom

BobH 06-16-2017 08:08 AM

The flair stearman was framed up by a friend who passed away. I helped him during the process.
I haven't finished the air frame yet to cover it. I've been working on other projects.
But I shall get on it perhaps later this summer..
I think the 7-70 will look pretty good sitting out there in the breeze and should be sufficient power for the plane.
The full scale Plane only had a Continental 170 HP engine as a Trainer when first introduced. So they weren't over powered either. You learned to fly on the wing.

barzini 06-16-2017 08:19 AM

Bob,
I see a Flair Stearman every year flying at Warbirds over Delaware and it flies well with a DLE 55. The Evolution 7-77 is equivalent in power to a 55cc single cylinder gas engine I Am Told?
T.C.

barzini 06-16-2017 08:34 AM

2 Attachment(s)
I just finished this P47.I was going to put my Evolution 9-99 in it but changed my mind since it weighs 34 pounds and i didnt think the 9-99 would fly it.

BobH 06-16-2017 09:43 AM

It MIGHT fly with the evo 99 but Just.. :(
I'll look for the Flair this year at WOD. for some reason I have missed it?? lol

UMS-EVOLUTION 06-19-2017 10:20 PM

Originally Posted by Pretendpilot (Post 12326304)
looks like I need some parts for this engine. HH doesn't sell them and UMS/india seems a long ways/time away...anyone in USA sell the parts? im in certain need of rings and maybe orings (intake/exhaust tubes). it'd be nice to know a source for the cam rings and cylinders, too. i'd also like to get a tool to remove the heads at some time (to replace cylinder without replacing head).
how's correspondence with UMS going lately? I noticed their website is "under construction"

you can contact [email protected] for all the spares required. Unfortunately all the spares has to come from India , if it is not available with HHI

UMS-EVOLUTION 06-19-2017 10:27 PM

Originally Posted by Pretendpilot (Post 12332324)
evo 7-77
wait until you have to replace rings in one of these! horizon doesn't sell the parts. india sells the ring as part of a "cylinder assembly" (piston, ring, cylinder, stuff that attaches cylinder to case) for much more than the price of a ring would cost, but the tool to remove the head from the cylinder will cost you $750 (india) as quoted me from ums. ums DID say that they'd consider a special case for rings only, but I haven't got back with them on that yet (took 3 times- waiting couple days 2 times, to get an answer from horizon hobby). so heare's the dilemma: see if and how much$ rings from india will be; get cylinder assy from india just in case its necessary - BUT I don't have the tool to install it on the head! ... I don't think HH will do just that part, and its ridiculous to think of getting charged for that.
I have heard of the rings, and maybe a cylinder, being replaced by owners a couple times previously on these engines. can any of you that have done it tell me how (tool?) and where you got the rings/cylinder from?
thx, andy

Please send once again your email back to me , you will receive the spare ring. But the Tool for removing the cylinder head is a specially manufactured one , not in ready stock. Hence it is little expensive . horizon hobby service centre has this tool. You can take their help !!!. If their not willing to support , then we will send you the tool even free of cost , dont worry.
Ramaraj N

BobH 06-22-2017 01:51 PM

Question,
I was trying to start my EV160 in the plane this week and noticed when I pressed the primer bulb on the carburator.. gas flowed from that area down to the ground. Is this due to the over flow brass fitting near it or what?
I did buy a replacement primer bulb but it still leaks a bit in that area.