RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Glow Engines (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/glow-engines-114/)
-   -   The Day After! (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/glow-engines-114/11056553-day-after.html)

acdii 04-25-2012 01:07 PM

The Day After!

LOL I hit enter before I typed anything and it posted,. DOH

OK when you go out flying, or boating, or carring, whatever that uses a glow engine, do you smell and tase the glow fuel the next day? I swear I can still smell and taste the caster oil from yesterday!<br type="_moz" />

MetallicaJunkie 04-25-2012 01:51 PM

RE: The Day After!

sometimes.... when i fly glow planes sat-sun back to back... what i like best is that i have clothes that i use when i fly, and even after they are laundered i can still smell a little scent of glow fuel residue... i like it

djlyon 04-25-2012 04:46 PM

My clothes still stink after washing according to my wife. Now I just leave my clothes at the field and drive home naked. The next time I fly I drive there naked and put them back on. I mean it is only 5 minutes from my house to the field. Every few months I bring them to a pay wash and wash them. The people there tell me to never come back. But there are a lot of those places so I'm good.

KeroPower 04-25-2012 04:52 PM

Glow, sometimes. Diesel, always.

MetallicaJunkie 04-25-2012 04:56 PM

ORIGINAL: djlyon

My clothes still stink after washing according to my wife. Now I just leave my clothes at the field and drive home naked. The next time I fly I drive there naked and put them back on. I mean it is only 5 minutes from my house to the field. Every few months I bring them to a pay wash and wash them. The people there tell me to never come back. But there are a lot of those places so I'm good.

lol you drive home naked? just make sure you dont get pulled over in SF:D

ORIGINAL: KeroPower

call me crazy but i love the smell of RC diesel fuel..we have a member that has some diesels, too bad he doesnt fly much anymore

djlyon 04-25-2012 05:02 PM

With diesel after a month of leaving them at the field I just burn them.

vicman 04-25-2012 05:04 PM

You aren't supposed to drink the stuff!:D

My closet smells for a few days after...I like it too.:)

djlyon 04-25-2012 05:04 PM

Hey TX this is California, driving around naked is OK. North of where I live it's required.

KeroPower 04-25-2012 05:17 PM

With diesel after a month of leaving them at the field I just burn them.
I bet they light very easily with all the kerosene on them.

<br type="_moz" />

MetallicaJunkie 04-25-2012 05:19 PM

Hey TX this is California, driving around naked is OK. North of where I live it's required.
:D

KeroPower 04-25-2012 05:19 PM

ORIGINAL: MetallicaJunkie

lol you drive home naked? just make sure you dont get pulled over if SF:D

ORIGINAL: KeroPower

call me crazy but i love the smell of RC diesel fuel..we have a member that has some diesels, too bad he doesnt fly much anymore
I agree, it has a nice aroma to it. It is the smell of power!
<br type="_moz" />

freakingfast 04-25-2012 06:10 PM

You take a bath and wash your clothes......but you didn't wash the shoes. I do a run-up straddling the plane with my calf's holding the stab from going anywhere, all the while the exhaust nailing my right foot.

" I love the smell of nitro in the morning". Er..ah?, or was that napalm? :D

flycatch 04-25-2012 07:54 PM

I'll take the smell of glow over that of gas.

earlwb 04-26-2012 03:53 AM

That stuff they call pump gasoline stinks a lot more worse than glow fuel. If I use that gasoline in a engine and try to bring it inside the home to work on the engine, it causes a mini-riot at home as the family can't stand the stink. I cant stand the gasoline smell either. I don't know what all they have done to it but the modern gasoline they sell here in my area is horrid. The stink just stays on your hands, clothes, etc, if you get it on them somehow.
Now glow fuel, yeah there is a faint residual smell leftover, but I don't seem to be bothered by it like gasoline does to me. I think it is the castor oil in the fuel more than the methanol, nitromethane or synthetic oils.

hsukaria 04-26-2012 06:23 AM

When I go flying at the club, there are 4 competing smells. In the order of increasing smell-iness:
1. Glow fuel.
2. Gasoline fuel from the giant planes.:eek:
3. Cigarette smoke from some of the members.[&o]
4. The port-a-potty that the old-timers insisted on having nearby the pits area.[:'(]

I can handle the smell of glow fuel. The other 3 smells are a challenge for me.

AMB 04-26-2012 06:57 AM

The few glows I have the exhaust makes my eyes water and sting diesel does not martin

blw 04-26-2012 07:13 AM

I've always liked the smell of gasoline. Glow fuel smells good when fresh.

Sport_Pilot 04-26-2012 07:31 AM

The day after flying or sex?

lopflyers 04-26-2012 11:53 AM

:DI wish I would, nothing better to me than the smell of burned glow.

thepamster 04-26-2012 12:22 PM

I recently got a glow plane in the air after flying gas exclusively for a number of years and the smell of glow fuel on clothes as well as in my hair is hard to get rid of. I find it far more offensive than gas. Which seems to be the opposite of most people.
Years ago I occasionally used diesel fuel for smoke fluid due to the price of smoke fuel but that stinks worse than glow and gas combined.

The Pamster
AMA 202345

pmerritt 04-26-2012 03:04 PM

If your weekly bath is Wednesdays, try flying on Tuesdays so you don't have the aroma following you around for 6 days until the next bath day.

hairy46 04-26-2012 03:18 PM

Love the smell hate the taste! But do not taste it the day after.

vega406 04-26-2012 03:34 PM

my van always smells like Jet fuel- aka- kerosene but no taste

mistermnkim 04-26-2012 04:53 PM

I have a small can with nitro under the seat of my truck for a air freshener, I thought everyone did :D

blw 04-26-2012 05:27 PM

ORIGINAL: mistermnkim

I have a small can with nitro under the seat of my truck for a air freshener, I thought everyone did :D
I always spill gasoline on my hands and clothes when filling up the car for air freshener.:)