RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Glow Engines (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/glow-engines-114/)
-   -   Enya R120 Blowby? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/glow-engines-114/11155434-enya-r120-blowby.html)

skypiratescotty 07-14-2012 04:27 PM

Enya R120 Blowby?

Hello
Been flying 2-strokes for bout 10 years and now trying my hand at 4-strokes. Just got a (what i think is a steal) on an Enya R120 4-stroke for $150 and have it bolted to my test stand. It looks like it has never seen fuel until now, fires up with just a quick blip of the starter, idles around 2700 and blasts out at 12 and change with a MAS 16x8. Throttle response is instant with a little leaning on the low end. My question is it suppose to have soooo much blowby? I have a feed line plumbed to the needle valve and a spitter line coming from the crankcase nipple on the backplate just runs off the table and man does it spit fuel. I run a 10oz tank on the test stand and prolly a good table spoon ends up on the table from the crankcase line. Just wondering if this is normal?

Scotty

Hobbsy 07-14-2012 04:57 PM

RE: Enya R120 Blowby?

They spew some oil, it slacken some after about an hour of easy running, you don't want to push it and cook the ring. After a good hour at moderate speeds it will have much better compression and less mess.

skypiratescotty 07-14-2012 05:27 PM

sweet, thank you sir that is good news!! i'm just gonna run a few tanks thru it on the test stand at moderate rpms and go from there

1QwkSport2.5r 07-14-2012 05:58 PM

Enya rings have a larger ring gap than say Frank Bowman rings. If it gets to be too much, change the ring with a tighter ring gap. My 60-4C chucks a lot of oil from the breather as well. Break in was a bit messy even using full castor fuel. The upside to the mess is knowing the lower end is getting lots of lubrication. Now broken in, my 60 spits a teaspoon and a half of oil out of 8oz of full castor fuel. I found the crankcase retained a lot of oil if the breather line was longer than 6" or so.

NM2K 07-15-2012 12:49 AM

ORIGINAL: skypiratescotty

Hello
Been flying 2-strokes for bout 10 years and now trying my hand at 4-strokes. Just got a (what i think is a steal) on an Enya R120 4-stroke for $150 and have it bolted to my test stand. It looks like it has never seen fuel until now, fires up with just a quick blip of the starter, idles around 2700 and blasts out at 12 and change with a MAS 16x8. Throttle response is instant with a little leaning on the low end. My question is it suppose to have soooo much blowby? I have a feed line plumbed to the needle valve and a spitter line coming from the crankcase nipple on the backplate just runs off the table and man does it spit fuel. I run a 10oz tank on the test stand and prolly a good table spoon ends up on the table from the crankcase line. Just wondering if this is normal?

Scotty

Not to worry. As Hobbsy indicated, as the ring seats over time, the engine will blow out a little less oil.

But bear in mind that glow engines are messy. Worrying about a little oil is pointless and will lead to frustration or disappointment. Accept the oil and move along to enjoy your experience.

Ed Cregger

skypiratescotty 07-15-2012 03:38 AM

I don't mind the mess at all. I have prolly about 20 engines that i mess with but are all 2-strokes so i'm familiar with exhaust residue. I just didn't know if maybe i had a worn ring or something because of the excessive amount on this particular engine. It does have really good compression so maybe it was hardly ever ran and i need to keep breaking it in.

thanks
scotty

1QwkSport2.5r 07-15-2012 05:05 AM

I don't mind the mess at all. I have prolly about 20 engines that i mess with but are all 2-strokes so i'm familiar with exhaust residue. I just didn't know if maybe i had a worn ring or something because of the excessive amount on this particular engine. It does have really good compression so maybe it was hardly ever ran and i need to keep breaking it in.

thanks
scotty
They do take a long time to break in, so take your time. Also, make sure you check and readjust the valve lash every hour or two of run time. I'm not sure what the spec is for the 120, but check the manual (or if someone chimes in with the spec) for the spec and check it with the engine dead cold. I've had to readjust my 60's valve lash 3 or 4 times now over 1-1.5 gallons of fuel.

Hobbsy 07-15-2012 05:29 AM

The copperish guage that comes with Enyas is .002".

jaka 07-15-2012 07:00 AM

Hi!
A 16x8 is a little too large for a 1.20 four stroke! Use a 16x6 or 15x8 intead. APC, Graupner Sonic or RAM are best

1QwkSport2.5r 07-15-2012 04:31 PM

ORIGINAL: Hobbsy

The copperish guage that comes with Enyas is .002''.
I didn't get the tools, manual, or the box with my 60. The spec in the manual I found online specified .05-.10mm I believe. I'll have to double check that though.

captinjohn 09-16-2012 11:21 AM

I am considering buying a Enya 1.20 R and convert it to gas. Maybe run 20-1 redline in gas. Is this a good idea or should I stay away from the Enya 1.20 and get a brand that is still in production. Thank,s

captinjohn 09-17-2012 01:46 PM

Anyone out there....I want to talk Enya 120 engine data. Thanks Capt,nhttp://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/js/f...wink_smile.gif

TFF 09-17-2012 02:04 PM

Enyas are great. High quality. Convert away. Standard crank with gas issues. I am thinking of ignition/glow on mine. They dont like to be lugged so dont overload with prop. I dont think they make the 1.20 but they still make the 1.55 which is punched out.

captinjohn 09-17-2012 02:18 PM

I am thinking glow fuel with ignition also. Since there is a spark for ignition...it seems like 5-10 Nitro is enough. Should idle good too with spark ignition and be more fuel efficient. Capt,n

skypiratescotty 09-17-2012 03:32 PM

Hey CaptJohn
I really haven't messed with this engine in a while but I plan on putting it on a 90 size Extra 260 here in the next couple months. I really don't know anything about converting it to gas but I will say I have a few Enyas ( all 2-strokes) and this 120r 4 stroke and all of em are sweet engines. My only complaint with the 120r is that the glow plug angles towards the prop so remote glow is a must but other than that it is smooth. Buy one if you can find one!!

Scotty

TFF 09-17-2012 04:52 PM

With ignition you could go 0 nitro and be reliable. 10% is what I am planing.

captinjohn 09-22-2012 10:17 AM

Hey CaptJohn
I really haven't messed with this engine in a while but I plan on putting it on a 90 size Extra 260 here in the next couple months. I really don't know anything about converting it to gas but I will say I have a few Enyas ( all 2-strokes) and this 120r 4 stroke and all of em are sweet engines. My only complaint with the 120r is that the glow plug angles towards the prop so remote glow is a must but other than that it is smooth. Buy one if you can find one!!

Scotty
I do know were there is one...but with so many newer 1.2-1.5 Four stroke engines out there on the market with plug in rear of head and the parts are easy too get...it is hard to decide to buy a engine made years ago. HMMmmmm! Got too think more on it.

1QwkSport2.5r 09-22-2012 10:50 AM

ORIGINAL: captinjohn

Hey CaptJohn

Scotty
I do know were there is one...but with so many newer 1.2-1.5 Four stroke engines out there on the market with plug in rear of head and the parts are easy too get...it is hard to decide to buy a engine made years ago. HMMmmmm! Got too think more on it.
The quality of the Enya is far superior to OS in every respect, IMHO.

captinjohn 09-24-2012 07:53 PM

How do you rate the Satio 4 stroke engines? Thanks Capt,n

Hobbsy 09-25-2012 04:36 AM

John, I rate Saito, Enya, OS and LASER as the top quality engines, Each has its own characteristics. The Saito would usually be the lightest and most powerful size for size but not by a lot. As far as longevity they are very equal. I have an 80's Saito high compression .80 and a 1991 1.50 still with their original bearings. I have an 1989 Enya .46MKII that needs the center cam drive bearing, I had a LASER .70 for a while, it would not touch a Saito .72 for power but would idle slower. No long term OS fourstroke yet.