RCU Forums

RCU Forums (http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Glow Engines (http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/glow-engines-114/)
-   -   need roll pin for K&B (http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/glow-engines-114/11164730-need-roll-pin-k-b.html)

summerwind 07-22-2012 01:24 PM

need roll pin for K&B
 
any good sources for roll pins?

spaceworm 07-22-2012 03:13 PM

RE: need roll pin for K&B
 
Although I have an early .35 rc and a couple of the early .40's with the roll pin secured prop driver, I have never taken one apart and don't know the size. Very likely it is SAE, not metric. MECOA will likely have them, as well as McMaster Carr. My True Value hardware store has some, but I don't know if they have the right size. Good luck.

djlyon 07-22-2012 03:16 PM

RE: need roll pin for K&B
 
A good hardware store . Of course they don't exist anymore. There used to be several in the LA area. Try the net. You should be able to get one that way for about 9 bucks. 5 cents for the roll pin and 8.95 for shipping and handling.[:o]
Sorry I was no help and sorry for the sour grapes:(

Denis

summerwind 07-22-2012 03:43 PM

RE: need roll pin for K&B
 
haha....9.95 for shipping:D

no sour grapes on my table.......you both pointed me to good direction...........thank you

coralcape 07-23-2012 04:13 AM

RE: need roll pin for K&B
 
I have used drill bits as a substitute. Mic. yours and visit you local hardware. Good luck, red

earlwb 07-23-2012 07:54 AM

RE: need roll pin for K&B
 
Yeah right now K&B is in the process of moving from their old location to a new one. So getting parts will be taking a while as most everything is boxed up and on pallets enroute to their new location.

I would suggest old drill bits, piano wire, etc as a good source to make one.

If you have a ACE hardware store in your area, they usually still have some small pins that you might be able to use.



spaceworm 07-23-2012 09:12 AM

RE: need roll pin for K&B
 

Quote:

ORIGINAL: earlwb

...I would suggest old drill bits, piano wire, etc as a good source to make one.

If you have a ACE hardware store in your area, they usually still have some small pins that you might be able to use.




Roll pins are also known as spring pins and depend on radial tension to keep them in place. Unless you have another means to retain the drill bits/piano wire then they likely will fall out under operating conditions. Just my two cents worth. Good luck.

earlwb 07-23-2012 10:52 AM

RE: need roll pin for K&B
 
Quote:

ORIGINAL: spaceworm
Quote:

ORIGINAL: earlwb
...I would suggest old drill bits, piano wire, etc as a good source to make one.
If you have a ACE hardware store in your area, they usually still have some small pins that you might be able to use.
Roll pins are also known as spring pins and depend on radial tension to keep them in place. Unless you have another means to retain the drill bits/piano wire then they likely will fall out under operating conditions. Just my two cents worth. Good luck.
Yes you care correct, but I think the OP was talking about the small pin used on the drive washer for a engine like the old stype small front bearing K&B .40 engine. In that case the pressure on the pin from the prop beining tightened against it should keep it from moving any. I was also trying to remember if the pin was covered up or not as well, but I forget at the moment.

update:
I stand corrected. I dug out my old K&B 40 engine and the roll pin is exposed and open so one wants a good fit for the pin so it doesn't come out. If possible one wants to find a roll pin for this engine then.



summerwind 07-24-2012 03:53 PM

RE: need roll pin for K&B
 
the 3/32" roll pin as used on the K&B 40-S is/was easy to find.
the trick is to drill thru the driveplate/crankshaft.........
i'll upload a pic later tonight.

this one is of but a very few that John Brodbeck did up for a select few...the one i have is from Joe Bridi's collection that John gave him.


i really appreciate all the input from you guys.
nothing more fun than to BS about engines.

summerwind 07-25-2012 06:46 AM

RE: need roll pin for K&B
 
1 Attachment(s)
a couple internal differences as well..........rotor is supported by a bearing, rod is machined instead of the cast that were used in the production series.

Four Stroker 07-26-2012 05:50 AM

RE: need roll pin for K&B
 
http://www.mcmaster.com/#roll-pins/=iko21q


earlwb 07-30-2012 06:48 PM

RE: need roll pin for K&B
 
When I first saw the thread I was thinking about this engine here that I have. It uses a small roll pin and a set screw on the drive washer. I had forgotten about the rear intake engines you depicted.

http://i248.photobucket.com/albums/g..._engine_01.jpg


summerwind 07-31-2012 06:42 PM

RE: need roll pin for K&B
 
1 Attachment(s)

Quote:

ORIGINAL: earlwb

When I first saw the thread I was thinking about this engine here that I have. It uses a small roll pin and a set screw on the drive washer. I had forgotten about the rear intake engines you depicted.

http://i248.photobucket.com/albums/g..._engine_01.jpg


yes they did use the smaller pin............bearing changes are tricky with the way K&B did the front ends, and the 40S is no different except they went to a larger pin since the shaft became 3/8" OD from rear to front.

i also have several of these 40RR's which are going to become popular with FF events in the "slow gas" event.
same pin as your FR...........


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 11:22 AM.