RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Glow Engines (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/glow-engines-114/)
-   -   NIB Italian SuperTigre GS45: Better Than Current Ones? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/glow-engines-114/11233181-nib-italian-supertigre-gs45-better-than-current-ones.html)

Deandome 09-19-2012 04:57 AM

NIB Italian SuperTigre GS45: Better Than Current Ones?

I have access to a, well, nIB SuperTigre GS45, made in Italy version.

First off, they don't make these in Italy any more, do they? If not, how old would this be, and most importantly, is it as good or better than the current versions of the same engine? I'm thinking porting (Schnurle?) & other design-stuff that have made 'modern' engines much more powerful & reliable than past ones (in general).

Bottom line, if presented this Italian one was the same price as a new, current model, which one would you buy?

Thanks!

1QwkSport2.5r 09-19-2012 05:28 AM

RE: NIB Italian SuperTigre GS45: Better Than Current Ones?

ORIGINAL: Deandome

I have access to a, well, nIB SuperTigre GS45, made in Italy version.

First off, they don't make these in Italy any more, do they? If not, how old would this be, and most importantly, is it as good or better than the current versions of the same engine? I'm thinking porting (Schnurle?) & other design-stuff that have made 'modern' engines much more powerful & reliable than past ones (in general).

Bottom line, if presented this Italian one was the same price as a new, current model, which one would you buy?

Thanks!
That engine should be schneurle ported, and probably true ABC. I will only buy the Italian Tigres, myself. I have two, a S29 and an S90. If it were me, I'd snatch up that .45. It should run as well as any modern .45 sized engine. Some people have a hard time tuning the SuperTigre Mag carb, but once you figure it out, they work rather well. I think the Italians were conservative on the venturi diameter, so more power can usually be had with a larger carb. They still make that engine I believe, but in China. I'm not totally sure, but the chinese piston and liners should fit the italian engines, though Italian parts are readily available on the 'bay and sometimes here on RCU. The fit and finish of the Italian engines are superb IMO, however they take a long time to break-in. 2 gallons for my .90, about 1 gallon for my .29. Both of my engines are ringed, though. The ABC shouldn't need as much time, if you run it hot and fast with lots of oil for break-in.

Bax 09-19-2012 05:59 AM

The current G-series of SuperTigre engines are the ones that were transitioned to Chinese manufacture. They are made on the very same tooling that the Italian ones, and other than location of manufacture, are indistinguishable from the Italian versions. The S-series and K-series were all made in Italy, and are of slightly-different design, though most parts are completely interchangeable.

Iflyglow 09-19-2012 04:30 PM

ORIGINAL: Bax

The current G-series of SuperTigre engines are the ones that were transitioned to Chinese manufacture. They are made on the very same tooling that the Italian ones, and other than location of manufacture, are indistinguishable from the Italian versions. The S-series and K-series were all made in Italy, and are of slightly-different design, though most parts are completely interchangeable.

Bax,
Isn't the ring different from the Italian G90 to the Chinese G90. Frank Bowman rings list two different rings for the G90.;) And I am not refering to the S or K models.:D

jeffie8696 09-19-2012 05:16 PM

Ihave seen poor examples from both Chinese and Italian Super Tigres.

Deandome 09-19-2012 05:26 PM

How so? I'd be getting the italian NIB one over the net, so I wouldn't be able to check it out first.

Are the problems you mention manufacturing flaws that you can't really fix, or just air leaks & stuff you can take care of easily?

ORIGINAL: jeffie8696

I have seen poor examples from both Chinese and Italian Super Tigres.

turbo.gst 09-19-2012 11:03 PM

The Italian made GS 45 is an wonderful engine!

geeter 09-21-2012 01:13 PM

i have a italian 61 st engine in a belair biplane i fly. i have had china made st's also. i don't like them. the .61 is a great engine. i wouldn't sell it for 300.00. i'll run it til it dies. nuff said......................RON

blw 09-21-2012 01:52 PM

I have a barely run Italian made ST 61, but I would consider $300 :D

jeffie8696 09-21-2012 04:39 PM

Ihave seen examples from Italy and China with poor cylinder head machining that caused poor compression. Once repaired they ran very well.
However my Italian ST V60 is excellent.

NoOneFlysAtMyClub 09-21-2012 11:49 PM

The made in China engines I have run great and look better than Italian ones I have.

People seem to be turned off by engines made in China. Don't know why.

Most electronics for sale in the USA are made in China.

Look at the label on the back of your radio. You are OK with that, why not an engine?

Just thinking!!!!

Tony

codycarlisle25 09-22-2012 05:49 AM

I have bought a few of the Chinese version to compare, but haven't put them in service to be able to give a experienced assesement. There have been a couple of things fixed with the Chinese versions( ie. the carb barrell on the ST 2300). I have ran my ST 2300 with the new carb barrell vs the dog legged original.

Sport_Pilot 09-24-2012 03:54 AM

People seem to be turned off by engines made in China. Don't know why.
1. It's a Communist country, for a whille it looked like trade with them would bring them around, but it didn't. Now I do not agree with buying products from a communist country.

2. I can't speak for the Chinese ST's or the Evo's but the ASP's and Magnums are somewhat lower quality. I have had broken throttle barrels, and broken carb bodies because of poorly treated metal.

Most electronics for sale in the USA are made in China.
Actually mostly not, but many products listed as made in another country have componets from China. I never buy a product from China if I can help it.

cahusker 09-24-2012 05:17 AM

ORIGINAL: Bax

Bax,
When can we expect to see some spare/repair parts come into stock? Many items say order pending for a long time. Need to get some needle valve assemblies for the various size engines. Is the Super Tigre line going to be supported this way or not?
Thanks.