RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Glow Engines (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/glow-engines-114/)
-   -   Strongest 46 engine (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/glow-engines-114/11242927-strongest-46-engine.html)

SeaJay 09-28-2012 05:50 PM

RE: Strongest 46 engine

ORIGINAL: mustange1

These engines are sreamers and they are very strong AVIASTAR

I Personally would stay away from this engine, as it is hit or miss... I purchased 3 of these engines, two .46 and one .53.. one of the .46s is a good engine, and the other I took apart to become a relatively inexpensive guinea pig for me to see what I could mess up with a moto tool.. (haven't done anything to it yet) the .56 on the other hand, fresh out of the box felt like there was sand in the cylinder, not smooth at all scratchy feeling.. couldn't get it to run very well at all.. it's in my junk engine drawer..

there is even a forum specifically for the Aviastar .46, and even there the reviews are hit or miss.

so to summarize, out of the three aviastar engines I purchased, I wound up with, one great one, one turd, and one Guinea pig... http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/js/f...n/rolleyes.gif

Craig.

blw 09-28-2012 06:21 PM

We have a Design, Build, Fly team here at Auburn University. Some of my students were on the team last year. What they do is incredible. I haven't spoken to any of the students so far this year. I thought they had gone to electric power forever.

We have a great athletics department too:D War Eagle!

Sport_Pilot 09-28-2012 08:22 PM

I think gear reducers are allowed for the advanced class.

Timing the ports for slower operation would be helpful when you compare it to what a nomal JET engine is timed for. The Jet engines are for small props and you want a bigger one. But of course you don't want to go too far with that. I would think the timing of the Fox engines would be about right, but with more exhaust duration to allow more power increase when using a tuned pipe.

Sport_Pilot 09-28-2012 08:27 PM

ORIGINAL: victorzamora

Well, I know for a fact that Georgia Tech DOES compete in the AIAA Design, Build, Fly competition....and that's MY competition. This'll be five year and 6th plane that I've worked on. 4th year and 5th plane. GT has no hope against me!<div>
</div><div>Nor do they have hope against the Hokies in Football!</div>
Well, I attended a competition about7 years ago and I did not see GT there. The last football game was almost a draw. You won but we had about 5 defense starters out. Hurt us in the Miami game as well though some of them returned. Both offense and defense petered out as well. Too many mistakes in the first quarter against Miami as well.

victorzamora 09-28-2012 08:55 PM

ORIGINAL: blw
We have a Design, Build, Fly team here at Auburn University. Some of my students were on the team last year. What they do is incredible. I haven't spoken to any of the students so far this year. I thought they had gone to electric power forever.
We have a great athletics department too:D War Eagle!
Yeah, DBF is most certainly electric. They've always been 100% and won't ever change.
This glow engine is for the SAE Heavy Lift competition.

<span style="font-family: Verdana, Arial; font-size: 13px; background-color: rgb(251, 252, 255); ">Well, I attended a competition about7 years ago and I did not see GT there.</span>
Well they've been showing up for at least the last few years. They've always done pretty well, despite the quality of the schoolhttp://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/js/f...eeth_smile.gif<br type="_moz" />

blw 09-29-2012 07:47 AM

We have an old competition model suspended in a hallway and it has an OS 91FX on it. I'll ask about the history of it on Wednesday.

Hokies? Didn't Auburn beat them in the Sugar Bowl a few years ago?:D

MJD 09-29-2012 01:58 PM

ORIGINAL: Sport_Pilot

I think gear reducers are allowed for the advanced class.

Timing the ports for slower operation would be helpful when you compare it to what a nomal JET engine is timed for. The Jet engines are for small props and you want a bigger one. But of course you don't want to go too far with that. I would think the timing of the Fox engines would be about right, but with more exhaust duration to allow more power increase when using a tuned pipe.
You're right, it does indeed say so. I saw they were prohibited in another class and must have thought I was reading the advanced section. Well then.. [8D].. that opens up some possibilities!

[I still think a Sport Jett .46 on a wide blade low pitch 11" prop would be a serious contender]

hsukaria 09-29-2012 04:28 PM

Jett has a 76 that is the size of a 46 but timed for super high torque. I read it can swing some vast propeller diameter, like a 14x4. So, I'm sure it would be possible to get a 46 tuned that way as well.

Sport_Pilot 09-30-2012 04:35 PM

Well, I guess both VT and GT has egg on their face after losing what was thought to be easy wins. I was at the MTSU game and thought GT was on the fore front of technology when I saw some football players looking at IPAD's. I thought that they were looking at plays on an IPAD instead of a clip board. But my son said that MTSU caught the team at a bad time as their are a lot of classes with major tests this weekend. They were studying for their tests!

hsukaria 10-01-2012 10:29 AM

ORIGINAL: Sport_Pilot

Well, I guess both VT and GT has egg on their face after losing what was thought to be easy wins. I was at the MTSU game and thought GT was on the fore front of technology when I saw some football players looking at IPAD's. I thought that they were looking at plays on an IPAD instead of a clip board. But my son said that MTSU caught the team at a bad time as their are a lot of classes with major tests this weekend. They were studying for their tests!
Aint no way those jocks would bother to study for anything!!! Come on, who we kidding?

victorzamora 10-01-2012 10:41 AM

Yeah, Saturday was a BAD day for me.  After our 2-2 start, I've pretty much given up on the season.  That's sad because this is my Senior year and my Season Tickets are pretty good.  I was hoping to get to go to a Bowl game that we win in.  I was at the Orange Bowl for the loss to Stanford and made a huge excursion on a tiny island in the Caribbean to a TV to watch us lose to bad reffing.  I can't mentally handle another season like that.  It's testing my maroon and orange.<div>
</div><div>hsukaria, those jocks do study.....their classes are just really easy, so they don't have to study much at all.</div>

Sport_Pilot 10-01-2012 10:46 AM

Yeah, Saturday was a BAD day for me. After our 2-2 start, I've pretty much given up on the season. That's sad because this is my Senior year and my Season Tickets are pretty good. I was hoping to get to go to a Bowl game that we win in. I was at the Orange Bowl for the loss to Stanford and made a huge excursion on a tiny island in the Caribbean to a TV to watch us lose to bad reffing. I can't mentally handle another season like that. It's testing my maroon and orange.<div>
</div><div>hsukaria, those jocks do study.....their classes are just really easy, so they don't have to study much at all.</div>

Tech's school of liberal arts is a school for Jocks. Though there are many who take the management courses, and a very few who take the engieering courses. I am told they don't do the jocks any favorites if they chose to take engineering, though I am sure the better ones do.

378 10-01-2012 11:23 AM

Another vote for the 46AX here. Excellent engine and quite powerful.

hsukaria 10-01-2012 03:20 PM

Yeah, Saturday was a BAD day for me. After our 2-2 start, I've pretty much given up on the season. That's sad because this is my Senior year and my Season Tickets are pretty good. I was hoping to get to go to a Bowl game that we win in. I was at the Orange Bowl for the loss to Stanford and made a huge excursion on a tiny island in the Caribbean to a TV to watch us lose to bad reffing. I can't mentally handle another season like that. It's testing my maroon and orange.<div>
Yeah, I accept that. I just keep remembering my time at Texas A&M. One night a Domino's pizza delivery guy got stabbed in the athletics dorm. I guess somebody there wanted that pizza reall bad. I just don't have much respect for college sports.