RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Glow Engines (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/glow-engines-114/)
-   -   moki with cline regulator problem (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/glow-engines-114/11245809-moki-cline-regulator-problem.html)

raron455 09-30-2012 07:05 AM

moki with cline regulator problem

hello, i was hoping to get a little advice, i have a moki 2.10 with the cline regulator on it. it has ran great until now. here is the problem, i prime the engine till wet, put the glow driver in and flip it. it starts and runs idles great. after warm uP take it to full throttle and it screams, start turning the needle in to lean it and it will die when needle is almost all the way in. turn the needle back and the rpms scream, keep turning and the needle comes out,holding the needle in my hand, rpms.still.screamin. put the needle back in, shut the engine off open the throttle and see fuel just steadily dripping in carb. That tells me the engine is flooding.pull the regulator out and apart clean needle,pivot pin, spring, check diaphragm its good, CLEAN HOUSING, REASSEMBLE, CHECK LEVER HEIGHT, ITS GOOD FLUSH WITH THE INSIDE BOTTOM.OF HOUSING. PUT BACK TOGETHER AND ON PLANE SAME CRAP. HOOK MY FUEL PUMP TO LINE GOING TO CARB SUCK FUEL THROUGH REGULATOR AS IN CLINES INSTRUCTIONS TO FLUSH REGULATOR, PUT BACK ON SAME CRAP. I PUT A HOSE ON THE INLET SIDE OF THE REGULATOR AND BLOW AS HARD AS I CAN, NO LEAK THEN PUT SUCTION ON OUTLET, IT OPENED UP AND LET AIR.THRU. I.KNOW HOW THIS THING WORKS BUT I HAVE TRIED EVERYTHING I KNOW WITH NO LUCK. ANY HELP WOULD BE APPRECIATED ..
I
AM BEGIINING TO WONDER IF I NEED TO JUST BUY A NEW ONE MINE IS ALMOST 10 YEARS OLDW<br type="_moz" />

Donairplane 09-30-2012 09:21 AM

RE: moki with cline regulator problem

Hi,

This solved all my problems.
http://www.perrypumps.com/Pump%20and...s%20System.pdf

Don.

pe reivers 09-30-2012 12:12 PM

This system is better!
http://prme.nl/home/regulated_fuelsu...el_supply.html

Hobbsy 09-30-2012 04:22 PM

If fuel is flowing with the engine stopped there is a hole in the diaphragm. You can get them at your local small engine shop. Take the bad one with you.

Iflyglow 09-30-2012 04:47 PM

I replace diaphram every year. They cost about $3.00 by me. Just ask for a Walbro WA/WT metering diaphram.

raron455 09-30-2012 05:37 PM

Thanks guys,, I blew in the inlet of the regulator with a hose, but didnt feel a leak, so I thought that the the diaphragm was good,, I will put a new one in it tomorrow and hopefully that fixes it.. I want to stick with the cline setup I like the performance and have been happy with it..

raron455 10-01-2012 07:51 AM

for all who care to know,,,hobbsy was absolutely correct, it was the diaphragm. thanks hobbsy

Hobbsy 10-01-2012 10:09 AM

You're welcome R, its just a little bit of logic and physics. The clue was when you said you cleaned the needle and the seat, that didn't leave much else.

MJD 10-01-2012 03:20 PM

ORIGINAL: Donairplane

Hi,

This solved all my problems.
http://www.perrypumps.com/Pump%20and...s%20System.pdf

Don.
That system with the return line from the tee fittin near the carb - seems like it would act more or less like a suction setup with the fuel tank an inch from the carb. Could this plumbing arrangement be used with a non-pump RC carb?

telejojo 10-01-2012 05:01 PM

Chainsaw carb. on a Moki................................how do you make it work? I have a Moki 1.80 with a Pitts muffler and won't draw fuel so I would give it a try or a perry pump

Hobbsy 10-01-2012 05:13 PM

The CLine is the regulator side of a Walbro carb but doesn't weigh half a pound.

pe reivers 10-03-2012 01:41 AM

It's easy to hack away the metal that is not needed. Advantage is that standard walbro Diaphragms and needles can be used.
I successfully used both Walbro pump AND regulator on a ST2300, combined with exhaust pressure on the regulator. A Cline would suffer from lean mixtures in this engine.

Hobbsy 10-03-2012 05:33 AM

Pe', actually it will not suffer a lean mixture, I tested the Cline and the IronBay. on a Saito 2.20 with no problem.

pe reivers 10-03-2012 01:12 PM

It did on a ST2300, until we enlarged the fuel flow sections.
The Cline regulator delivers the fuel at atmospheric pressure. Some engines do need fuel under muffler pressure for sufficient fuel delivery.
PS
NOT talking of the Cline fuel pump!

Iflyglow 10-03-2012 06:29 PM

1 Attachment(s)
[

ORIGINAL: pe reivers

It did on a ST2300, until we enlarged the fuel flow sections.
The Cline regulator delivers the fuel at atmospheric pressure. Some engines do need fuel under muffler pressure for sufficient fuel delivery.
PS
NOT talking of the Cline fuel pump!

Am I under standing this correctly? You think that the Cline fuel pressure regulater is actually supplying the fuel at atmospheric pressure. The diaphram might have atmospheric pressure on one side of it, but it has well over 5 psi of fuel pressure ready to be released when the engine needs it with just a slight vacuum pulse, that in my experiece even an OS 10 FP with an air bleed carb can supply.:) I have used Clines on everything from Saito 1.00 twins (twin Air Bleed carbs with a y and one reg.) to a Saito 300T, Big Super Tigers, and a little OS 10, and every little engine in between, and I have never ever experienced the problems you are describing when useing a Cline fuel pressure regulator which by the way the can flow well over 4 oz's a minute. I have one sitting here right now that will be going on a ST 2300 with a Magnum 1.08 carb and adapter as soon as the engine arrives in the mail. In fact i just machined the adapter tonight and will be useing it with a Cline Regulator that is 15 years old (new guts though). They simply do not wear out, and are the cats meow when it comes to making a stable running engine in my book. FYI, the Cline regulator uses Stock Walbro WA/WT parts, and can be rebuilt in 5 minutes for about $3.00 american money.:D:D There is no substitution in my mind, so why recreate the wheel with a chopped up Walbro carb.:D

pe reivers 10-04-2012 03:57 AM

Fuel pressure to the needle assy is atmospheric. That is what the Cline regulator does. Reduce the tank pressure of some 5+ psi to zero psi. Exactly the same what a Walbro carb does to fuel pressure to the jets.

Sport_Pilot 10-04-2012 09:19 AM

Demand regualtors delver its media at or just under the control pressure, or atmospheric for a carb. Demand regulaters for SCUBA would bust your lungs if they operated as you mentioned. They have up to a thousand pounds of pressure behind them yet deliver the air at atmospheric pressure.