RCU Forums

RCU Forums (http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Glow Engines (http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/glow-engines-114/)
-   -   Enya 53FS tank vent question (http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/glow-engines-114/11248526-enya-53fs-tank-vent-question.html)

JPMacG 10-02-2012 11:04 AM

Enya 53FS tank vent question

I have a new (old stock) Enya 53 four stroke engine, which I am about to run for the first time. This is the older version - with the air bleed carb. I have some questions:

- The directions from Enya say that there is no need to pressuize the tank from the muffler tap. So what do I do with the vent line on the tank? Just leave it open to the atmosphere? And what happens when I fly inverted? Won't fuel drip out of the tank vent?

- Included with the engine is a small black silicone (I think) tube-like gaket. The Enya directions don't say what it is for. It looks like it is meant to fit on the threads of the needle valve, like some modelers use fuel tubing to seal a leaky needle. Does anyone know what the black gasket /tube is for?

Thanks!

Hobbsy 10-02-2012 02:44 PM

RE: Enya 53FS tank vent question

Fuel will not flow out of the vent because air is flowing in to fill the void left by the used fuel. Does the muffler have a tap? Thanks, Dave

PS, that rubber sleeve does go on the needle threads.

JPMacG 10-02-2012 03:25 PM

Thanks - yes the muffler does have a tap.

While I asking questions.... is it safe to assume that I will never need to use the choke? I will be using an electric starter.

Hobbsy 10-02-2012 03:28 PM

Good question about the choke, the choke while a nice idea way over chokes. about one half of the intake stroke will flood it. Since it has a pressure tap I'd use it. I have a .46 MKII set up like your .53 and installed a pressure tap.

mike109 10-02-2012 04:09 PM

G'day

I have the later 53 with the Twin Needle carby and I also have the older 46. As Dave has suggested, I connect the vent line on both to the muffler and it works fine. On engines where muffler pressure is not required, I run the vent line forward along the engine mount so that the end is pointing into the prop wash. You do not want to mount it so that air could blow across the end and create a venturi effect which would lower the pressure in the tank. My Laser engines need to be set up like this.

I do find Enyas with air bleeds do not choke easily with the "finger over the venturi" method so I prime mine by blocking the end of the muffler and turning the engine over a few times. The muffler pressure pushes the fuel to the carby.

All my Enyas are easy to start. I ran the 53 yesterday to test it with a 3 bladed prop. It is in a Stick I built from a plan and the nose leg is a tad short so that the 12 x 6 prop I started with was sometimes hitting our rough ground. The 11 x 7 Graupner three bladed prop works much better. I primed it as described above, connected the glow and flicked it once with my finger and it was running. It had not been run for about a year so I was quite impressed.

Enjoy your Enya. My collection has grown over the last year. I now have 25SSBB, 40SSBB, 45SSBB, 45CX, 36 4c, 41 4c Diesel, 46 4c and 53 4c. The 25 is yet to run and the diesel is in it box too but the rest are flying.

Cheers

Mike in Oz

1QwkSport2.5r 10-02-2012 04:17 PM

Are the 53's of about the same vintage as the 60 and 80? My 60 didnt come with an Enya muffler, but the straight header pipe only. According to Peter Chinn's review, these engines lose a few hundred rpm with the muffler. IIRC, its about 400. I run my tank vented with a 6" length of line to it so it doesnt spit with the tank full. The engine runs as good as it should I think. I use the choke on mine once in awhile, but using an electric starter without the choke gets it running in just a few turns of the crank. If I am hand flipping it, I use the choke. It makes hand starting much easier although the kickback hurts the knuckles...

Is the two-needle carb that much better than the airbleed carb? I have entertained the idea of getting the TN carb for my .60 if it works better.

JPMacG 10-02-2012 06:35 PM

I'd guess that mine is from about 1995-96 based on the makings on the box. The box has a label from Altech marketing and a coupon for free Xacto blades. The coupon expired in March 1997.

Enya still makes the 53FS, but I think the modern version has a twin needle carb.

This is my first Enya 4-stroke. I also have a 50SS BB and 50CX BB. I had a 45SS BB(ringed) and 40SS but I traded one and lost the other in a tree.

1QwkSport2.5r 10-02-2012 06:51 PM

Quote:

ORIGINAL: JPMacG

I'd guess that mine is from about 1995-96 based on the makings on the box. The box has a label from Altech marketing and a coupon for free Xacto blades. The coupon expired in March 1997.

Enya still makes the 53FS, but I think the modern version has a twin needle carb.

This is my first Enya 4-stroke. I also have a 50SS BB and 50CX BB. I had a 45SS BB(ringed) and 40SS but I traded one and lost the other in a tree.
I didnt get anything with my 60 except the engine itself, which was unrun and old. I am guessing mine is from the latter part of the 80's as it wasn't gummed up solid, but the ring was stuck and the valves moved slowly.

Sport_Pilot 10-02-2012 07:51 PM

Connect fuel tubing to the vent and run itout the bottom of thecowling. Then the fuel will not pour out the tank when inverted. This is usually long enough that any air drop from air flowing past will not have enough pressure to pull fuel out of the tank, but to be sure point the line toward the front of the plane.

mike109 10-02-2012 10:50 PM

G'day

I remember a friend using a 60 back in 1989 and it was already several years old at that time.

Enya's Current four stroke range is 155, 53, 41, 36. And a 36 diesel which is Al/Chrome. The 36 glow is also Al/Chrome. The 41 Diesel is no longer listed.

The interesting thing is the top rev for the Enyas is quite a bit higher than for Saito and OS. The 36 in glow form is listed to go to 13,000 rpm in glow form but only to 9,000 in diesel. Even the 155 is listed to go to 12,500 rpm. The 53 and the 41 are listed as 12 and 13k respectively.

I have the little 36 glow and it is very sweet little engine. Easy to start, and powerful for its size. Mine is in a kit built Sig LT-25 trainer.

To find Enya's web site, do a search for "Enya Engine."

Cheers

Mike in Oz

1QwkSport2.5r 10-03-2012 02:49 AM

The 60 was one of the first 4-strokes to come out IIRC, around 1982. I thing the 80 came out a year later. These old ones really like a burbly rich low end to run right. I think the "critical RPM" is 12,000 or 12,500 for the 60. Very neat sounding engine.

Hobbsy 10-03-2012 05:03 AM

Quick, the Enya airbleed is a metered carb with an airbleed trim, there would be no advantage to swapping the carb. Just set the airbleed screw halfway across the hole and that's it.

Hobbsy 10-03-2012 05:04 AM

Quick, the Enya airbleed is a metered carb with an airbleed trim, there would be no advantage to swapping the carb. Just set the airbleed screw halfway across the hole and that's it.

Hobbsy 10-03-2012 05:05 AM

Hobbsy 10-03-2012 05:06 AM

Hobbsy 10-03-2012 05:08 AM

Quick, the Enya airbleed is a metered carb with an airbleed trim, there would be no advantage to swapping the carb. Just set the airbleed screw halfway across the hole and that's it. The barrel has two overlapping slots that engage more and less as the barrel is rotated metering the fuel flow.

Hobbsy 10-03-2012 05:09 AM

Quick, the Enya airbleed is a metered carb with an airbleed trim, there would be no advantage to swapping the carb. Just set the airbleed screw halfway across the hole and that's it. The barrel has two overlapping slots that engage more and less as the barrel is rotated metering the fuel flow.

Gypsy56 10-03-2012 05:57 AM

My .53 is the old style "airbleed" type. I run it with muffler pressure and it runs great.
Hobbsy is correct, it is VERY easy to overchoke this engine, just one flip at the most, and then turn it through
by hand to make sure it is not hydraulic locked before you hit it with the E-starter. You will love this engine, it's one of the best kept
secrets of 4 stroke glow. A real hotrod on 11x8 or 11x9 APC, a stump puller on 12x6. I've had mine since the early 90s and flown
it on three different airframes. It still starts, idles and pulls like when it was new!

Ed

1QwkSport2.5r 10-03-2012 06:20 AM

Quote:

ORIGINAL: Hobbsy

Eh, my 60 cuts out on transition if the airbleed isn't nearly closed. I don't doubt the carb is good, but maybe my engine is just picky. It will cut out and quit with the airbleed only half closed. It's slow and stumbly on transition being that rich, but it won't quit that way. I have an Enya 3 plug in it and I run 5%nitro 20%castor in it and several other engines.

I say it has "personality". LoL.

jaka 10-03-2012 07:16 AM

Hi!
Pressure or not doesn't matter!
What's important though, is if you run the engine without pressure that you mount the ventline forward,into the wind (or pointing forward anyway) so that you do not get the siphoning efect you get with it hanging straight down.

103/17 10-03-2012 05:04 PM

You DO NOT pressurize a tank on an Enya .53 four stroke. Let the vent line hang, dont connect it to anything. Choke is for hand flipping only and it is very effective. For the record unless you fly at temps below 40 degrees F you wont need to choke it. Only issue with enya .53 is the lack of oil to the cam chamber due to the sleeve covering half of the oil hole that goes from the case to the rear chamber. I always relieve the sleeve and this fixes the issue. I also lube the area through the pushrod tubes by removing the valve cover and adding oil at the begining and the end of the season. Also remember that this engine installed on a twin can be set up to run backwards so you can have counter rotating engines. You can do this because unlike almost every other 4 stroker out there these have individual intake and exhaust cams. So......you can reposition them and one will run backward, what a great set up on a twin, I have one set up this way.......I have run and owned at least a half dozen .53s and a few older .46s, and they are all awesome engines. Good luck, youll love your .53 !

1QwkSport2.5r 10-03-2012 05:43 PM

Quote:

ORIGINAL: 103/17

You DO NOT pressurize a tank on an Enya .53 four stroke. Let the vent line hang, dont connect it to anything. Choke is for hand flipping only and it is very effective. For the record unless you fly at temps below 40 degrees F you wont need to choke it. Only issue with enya .53 is the lack of oil to the cam chamber due to the sleeve covering half of the oil hole that goes from the case to the rear chamber. I always relieve the sleeve and this fixes the issue. I also lube the area through the pushrod tubes by removing the valve cover and adding oil at the begining and the end of the season. Also remember that this engine installed on a twin can be set up to run backwards so you can have counter rotating engines. You can do this because unlike almost every other 4 stroker out there these have individual intake and exhaust cams. So......you can reposition them and one will run backward, what a great set up on a twin, I have one set up this way.......I have run and owned at least a half dozen .53s and a few older .46s, and they are all awesome engines. Good luck, youll love your .53 !
Do any of the other Enya 4-strokes suffer from the cam chamber lubrication problem?

Hobbsy 10-04-2012 04:04 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Most of the oil to the cam area flows through the center cam drive bearing, it is not sealed or shielded. My .53 never suffered for lack of cam box oil. They suffer from rust in the cam box more than any other malady, and I cure that by injecting Corrosion X into the cam box through the carb mounting bracket screw.

103/17 10-04-2012 06:00 AM

I have not noticed this issue on any of the other Enya engines but the 46 / 53 series for sure benefit from relieving the cylinder sleeve at the bottom to allow easier oil flow. FYI this was discussed with Ken Enya himself back in the early 90s and he agreed it was a good move to open access to the hole. Rust is the biggest issue in the cam chamber, I usually flood the area with Klotz synthetic oil at the begining and the end of the season. There are a lot of dead .53s out there due to this issue with oil flow and rusted bearings. The .53 is an excellent engine and runs like a gem, second to none in power for its size. However I know a lot of guys who do not like them and say they run poorly. This is always because they had been damaged from rust and cam timing variations from bad bearings.......maybe a prior owner who just didnt take care of them. I have run Enya engines for 30 + years, Enya makes great stuff and they are always reliable.......good luck with your .53.