RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Glow Engines (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/glow-engines-114/)
-   -   Testing the new NV (Norvel) .40 size (6.5cc) gasoline glow engine (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/glow-engines-114/11287797-testing-new-nv-norvel-40-size-6-5cc-gasoline-glow-engine.html)

hsukaria 03-21-2013 12:56 PM

RE: Testing the new NV (Norvel) .40 size (6.5cc) gasoline glow engine

ORIGINAL: AJsToyz

I can show you anything you want as long as I don't need to take it apart! :D
Really!! Don't take it apart while under warranty. Just run it and let us know how it works out.

AJsToyz 03-21-2013 01:11 PM

Ok! ;)

hllywdb 03-21-2013 01:57 PM

I pulled mine off. Looks the same as all of them from 061 on up. They are all a head button. Didn't mike it, but is probably a bit higher compression with the Turbo plug. But can't say for sure.

erieqc 03-22-2013 01:29 PM

I've been watching this whole thread and can you tell me if this engine has an ignition I haven't seen one. If so who's is it. Thanks

qazimoto 03-22-2013 01:34 PM

ORIGINAL: erieqc

I've been watching this whole thread and can you tell me if this engine has an ignition I haven't seen one. If so who's is it. Thanks
You haven't been "watching" very well then have you?

:)

hllywdb 03-22-2013 02:55 PM

Hi erieqc ,
This engine uses a glow plug for ingnition. Heavy CDI spark ignitions were used in 1st generation gas engine, much like the early model engines of the 40's, however technology has once again moved on;)

AJsToyz 03-22-2013 03:40 PM

Bill, do you know if NV cares which castor you use as far as racing? I found Klotz green or red, Blendzall, and Maxima. Oh the choices! Probably use the Benol but it comes in red or green.

erieqc 03-22-2013 04:14 PM

So you just hook a glow igniter as you would a glow engine start it and go. Soory I was born way after the 40s. No issues with engine inverted. I like to put on a h9 b25. The evolution 10s I think are to much and weight savings with engine would be ideal. Let alone the price.

ustas 03-22-2013 04:33 PM

I have received my GX40 yesterday. Interesting to note is that manual recommends Klotz Benol racing castrol oil and 93 octane gasoline. "After mixing, the fuel should be shaken or stirred to fully mix, then allowed to settle for a few days. Why does it have to "settle" for a few days? On the first page manual says to use 14% Technical castor oil and allow fuel to settle for a week. What would happen if the mix will not settle for a few days?

triumphman49 03-22-2013 04:33 PM

Hey ERIEQC

A real liteweight, compact package that only needs a small tank. Appears to be bigger than it is. Real torque'ee with a good midrange . . . 13000 on a 11x6 says factory . . . . been reporting here even using a 12.25x3.75 @ 12000, . . . . even had idle down under 2000.

been watching the mailbox for mine the last two days, but still isn't here yet . . . mabey tomorow. Wouldn't you know it's suppsed to rain all weekend here.

Happy days
T-man49 in Al

hllywdb 03-22-2013 06:02 PM

Hi Andy,
The Klotz Benol Green is what I have found to work the best like the factory said. A side benefit is it's ability to mix well with gasoline. When using straight technical castor, you need to let it sit for a week to make sure it is a more homogenized mix. 3 or 4 days seems to work fine with the benol, just mix it good first.

ZAGNUT 03-22-2013 06:44 PM

there is only one type of klotz benol, it is red in color and comes with a green label on the container. it is modified to be mixable with gasoline. straight unmodified castor doesn't usually mix with gasoline.

benol in gas is ready to use once mixed...letting it sit for a week isn't going to change anything.

this is going to be interesting, have fun.

hllywdb 03-22-2013 06:58 PM

If you add Klotz Benol (red in color, green lable) to a container of gas, it drops right to the bottom. Try it in a clear container and see for yourself. It does not mix like chain saw oil. I mix it thoughly, let it sit over night, then mix it agin after what has not emusified has dropped to the bottom. It is easier to just mix it and let it set a few day and mix it just once more. This is why I believe they suggest to let it sit for a week, especially with straight castor.

hllywdb 03-22-2013 07:40 PM

While we are on the subject of mixing fuel, I'll pass on a few tips I have learned about this. Our glow fuel comes to use in nice hermeticaly sealed, clean, air tight containers. Gasoline sits in big steel storage tanks, is then pumped into a steel (maybe rusty, dirty) tractor trailer truck tanker and run across the road. It is then dropped into an underground steel tank that has been sitting there rusting for quite some time. At this point we pump it into our tank. This often causes problems in our cars which have much larger engines with larger fuel passages and a couple of filters.

Because of this, using the inline fuel filter is pretty much a must on a small engine like this. As a side benifit it also stops most of the bubbles from the tank. Here is how I mix my fuel. I start with a red plastic tank from the hardware store like most of us do. It's a good idea to rinse it out with gas if it is new or had gas of dubious origin in it. I measure my castor out in a 4oz graduated glass from Wal-mart. I pour my fresh gas into a graduated clear paint mixing tub from Home Depot. Once mixed up a bit, I use an automotive paint stainer (those paper cone type ones) stuffed into the funnel to strain the mix into the red plastic gallon jug I take to the field. I also have a small filter on the pickup end of my fuel pump line when I pump it into the plane. This has worked out pretty well for me for the last year and I haven't had any dirty carburator issues.

As to mixing the castor, yes you do have to mix it well. But the good news is that once thoughly mixed, it does not settle out again, so you don't have to worry about stirring it each time you use it. At least this has been my experience with the Klotz Benol.

Bill

qazimoto 03-22-2013 08:19 PM

ORIGINAL: hllywdb

While we are on the subject of mixing fuel, I'll pass on a few tips I have learned about this. Our glow fuel comes to use in nice hermeticaly sealed, clean, air tight containers. Gasoline sits in big steel storage tanks, is then pumped into a steel (maybe rusty, dirty) tractor trailer truck tanker and run across the road. It is then dropped into an underground steel tank that has been sitting there rusting for quite some time. At this point we pump it into our tank. This often causes problems in our cars which have much larger engines with larger fuel passages and a couple of filters.

Because of this, using the inline fuel filter is pretty much a must on a small engine like this. As a side benifit it also stops most of the bubbles from the tank. Here is how I mix my fuel. I start with a red plastic tank from the hardware store like most of us do. It's a good idea to rinse it out with gas if it is new or had gas of dubious origin in it. I measure my castor out in a 4oz graduated glass from Wal-mart. I pour my fresh gas into a graduated clear paint mixing tub from Home Depot. Once mixed up a bit, I use an automotive paint stainer (those paper cone type ones) stuffed into the funnel to strain the mix into the red plastic gallon jug I take to the field. I also have a small filter on the pickup end of my fuel pump line when I pump it into the plane. This has worked out pretty well for me for the last year and I haven't had any dirty carburator issues.

As to mixing the castor, yes you do have to mix it well. But the good news is that once thoughly mixed, it does not settle out again, so you don't have to worry about stirring it each time you use it. At least this has been my experience with the Klotz Benol.

Bill
The data sheet for the Klotz Benol suggests that it will readily mix with Methanol up to a ratio of 1 in 5, and Gasoline in 1 in 15.

Clearly the shake and stand technique is to ensure that it really does mix because the Benol is being used in a borderline application.

It will stratify below 35 degrees F according to the same data sheet.

While I applaud what NV have achieved here I predict a degree of consumer difficulty mixing the fuel given the widespread ignorance of the difference between

Castor oil and Benol and the other modified castor based lubricants.

:D

fred985 03-23-2013 11:49 AM

i think this is nothing but a bunch of malarky. someone just trying to pull our leg. number one, there is no thing such as a glow plug that will light with gasoline. nv has nothing about any gas engine. just glow engines. if such a thing was possible, nv would sure as crap be making them and telling the whole world about them.

AJsToyz 03-23-2013 11:56 AM

Well I have mine, was sold,to me as a gas engine, and plan on running gasoline as stated in the manual. Should be pretty fun!

ZAGNUT 03-23-2013 12:52 PM

ORIGINAL: fred985

i think this is nothing but a bunch of malarky. someone just trying to pull our leg. number one, there is no thing such as a glow plug that will light with gasoline. nv has nothing about any gas engine. just glow engines. if such a thing was possible, nv would sure as crap be making them and telling the whole world about them.
dude, just sit back and watch the show...like i said before, this is going to be interesting;)

hllywdb 03-23-2013 02:04 PM

I have heard all the same myths about the castor and glow plugs and they are just that, myths. Klotz Benol mixes great with gas as long as you mix it well. But it isn't available in all countries. In that case regular technical castor will work just fine, just be careful to mix it well. I don't want to get into an armchair discussion of emulsification theories as I don't think it will be of the best help to people here. Fact is, any backyard shadetree mechanic knows gas mixes fine with oil from using it to clean oil, grease, and dirt off of parts. What happens if you let the part soak for a bit in the gas? Yep, end of theory, it soaks in and makes it easier to clean. Longer you lt it sit, the more it soaks into the oil. Solves the problem quite nicely for the technical castor.

I have been mixing this and running it for over a year so I just have to take the "Won't work" theories in stride and smile. I would imagine we should be hearing from people shortly and end the debate for most people.

Bill

Uncas 03-23-2013 05:36 PM

Okay, I think I get what is going on. I may be totally wrong - just a guess.
The glow plug ignites the castor oil, which ignites the gasoline. The gasoline is a substitute for nitro methane.

How much castor do you mix?
It looks like it costs about the same as gasoline?
Does your plane end up a slimy mess?

hllywdb 03-23-2013 06:32 PM

Hi Uncas,
Having just run my OS 55 on Wednessday, I would say the NV Gas leaves about 25% to 30% of the residue. (Don't hold me to a ballpark I'm not a ghostbuster so I don't have a handy slime meter). The residue is also about 3 times easier to wipe off. It doesn't have the "stick" factor that glow fuel has. Being that we are just starting love bug season here in FL, I notice. Add a bit of glow fuel to your leading edge and you collect 4 times as many of them as you do with the grill of your car:D

blw 03-23-2013 07:21 PM

I went through many love bug seasons living in the Ft. Rucker area. A good quality wax with carnuba will make life easy when wiping down. Not much sticks to the wax, and your covering looks new again.

hllywdb 03-23-2013 07:36 PM

Florida is bad with bugs, but the worst I've seen was when I was working in Louisianna back in the 70's. They used to smear kosmoline on the front of the hoods on the work trucks just to keep from re-painting them every year. Being a motorcyclist I tend to be more aware of these things.

1QwkSport2.5r 03-23-2013 08:58 PM

I've read this thread on and off for awhile and I am still a bit perplexed as to gasoline working with a glow plug using a catalytic type of reaction like glow fuel. I would only assume there is some sort of metal alloy wire that will create the same effect with gasoline as platinum alloys do with methanol. Old wisdom would say it doesn't work but in this day and age nothing is impossible, really.

I look forward to seeing further experiments with this engine.

triumphman49 03-24-2013 01:57 AM

1QwkSport2.5r

Have seen reports here that the OS Turbo P3 plugs will work fine as a replacement for the
NV plug furnished.