RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Glow Engines (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/glow-engines-114/)
-   -   Zesus .61 (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/glow-engines-114/11303491-zesus-61-a.html)

SBOT 11-19-2012 11:21 PM

Zesus .61

I have a Zesus .61. I was told by the person I bought it from that it is a Russian engine. While trying to tighten down the prop nut I broke off the crank stud. It's a stud so I just have to dig the broken part out and replace it with one made from US Steel. So that problem should be easy to fix, but after taking off the back plate and inspecting the rod, crank pin fit; I am worried the fit is to loose. The engine has never been run, but the rod hole appears to be slightly oblong in the direction an engine with a soft or heat softened rod would be after a lean run. I wonder if it is worth it to have the lower end of the rod drilled and bushed. Looks like there is enough metal to take a bushing. I do not have the machining tools to do it myself; so I would have to pay a machinist to do it for me. Can anyone recomend someone or should I just use it as a paper weight.

Thanks,
O

coriolan 11-20-2012 05:27 PM

RE: Zesus .61

1 Attachment(s)
Could it be a Zeus .61, like this one:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1759893

SBOT 11-20-2012 07:37 PM

That's the one. I bought it on the RCU Classifieds.

downunder 11-21-2012 01:47 PM

If you're at all like me then I like to know some of the history of unusual engines if I have one and by sheer chance I found out about the Zeus. My detective work began when I got curious about a couple of Stas's 42's I've got. To cut a long story short, back in the 80's the Russians were making the Marz 2.5 diesels but ceased production in about 1990. In 1991 a guy called Ilya Leydman went to Russia and teamed up with a few Russian businessmen to buy up all the machinery that was used to make the Marz engines. The fist trial engines they made were basically to try out various finishes like as cast, machined cooling fins, etched surfaces and so on. In all, they made 200 side exhaust and 50 rear exhaust engines and named them after the Russian manager's son, Stas :). Once they'd made a decision on finish they started making the engine that was originally planned which of course was the Zeus. Most of them were the 61 but also a 42 and a few were RE 42's.

I got all this information directly from Ilya Leydman who is an Aussie and used to have a business in Sydney called Macheast selling mainly Russian engines.

dennis 11-21-2012 07:36 PM

ORIGINAL: downunder

If you're at all like me then I like to know some of the history of unusual engines if I have one and by sheer chance I found out about the Zeus. My detective work began when I got curious about a couple of Stas's 42's I've got. To cut a long story short, back in the 80's the Russians were making the Marz 2.5 diesels but ceased production in about 1990. In 1991 a guy called Ilya Leydman went to Russia and teamed up with a few Russian businessmen to buy up all the machinery that was used to make the Marz engines. The fist trial engines they made were basically to try out various finishes like as cast, machined cooling fins, etched surfaces and so on. In all, they made 200 side exhaust and 50 rear exhaust engines and named them after the Russian manager's son, Stas :). Once they'd made a decision on finish they started making the engine that was originally planned which of course was the Zeus. Most of them were the 61 but also a 42 and a few were RE 42's.

I got all this information directly from Ilya Leydman who is an Aussie and used to have a business in Sydney called Macheast selling mainly Russian engines.
They also made a Zeus 049 diesel. It was of the same quality as the rest. To the best of my knowledge no one in the USA got one to run. Mine is still NIB.
dennis

SBOT 11-21-2012 09:45 PM

Dennis,
Thank you for the information. I never would have found that on my own. wrong continent and I don’t know the right people. So I guess you are saying it’s a paper weight.
Why would someone go to the expense and trouble to build something that didn’t work. Their prototypes must have at least run or what would be the sense of continuing on to production.
Do you have a Zesus .61?

Thanks,
O

downunder 11-22-2012 05:46 AM

ORIGINAL: dennis
They also made a Zeus 049 diesel.
I don't know about a diesel but according to [link=http://www.gregorie.org/freeflight/f1j/ame/ame.html]this[/link] web site the Zeus 049 was another name given to the original AME 049 and had nothing to do with the larger Zeus engines.

From all accounts, the actual Zeus (42 and 61) were very good engines.

maxtenet 11-24-2012 12:32 PM

The Zeus .049 diesel is an unusual little engine and is not the one made by AME. It has a huge intake and a pressure fitting on the bottom of the front crankcase. On the side is a lightning bolt and it has one of the prettiest thrust washers ever seen on an engine (weird huh?) I never knew of anyone else who had one much less attempted to start it. It was not beam mounted and the rear crank cover was held in just by pressure from being bolted to a flat surface. I'd love to see one run!

Max

Hobbsy 11-25-2012 07:43 AM

O, the Zeus .61 is a very good running engine, if you pull the backplate you'll see very nice machine work. It has a smallish carb and muffler so doesn't produce big power runs very well. No nitro and 20% lube are the ticket for it.

fiery 05-01-2018 04:36 PM

Zeus .61 with diesel head. Very nice.