RCU Forums

RCU Forums (http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Glow Engines (http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/glow-engines-114/)
-   -   Infinity .18 engine non start (http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/glow-engines-114/11326120-infinity-18-engine-non-start.html)

Nomis15 12-10-2012 04:42 AM

Infinity .18 engine non start

Hi, I have a nitro infinity engine which has not been started for about 9 months, im looking to sell the car and bits and bobs and wanted to sell as a working model, however the engine will not power up, checked and changed the glow plug (brand new one) primed the engine ( a lot) however afew things I've noticed, the pull start is easier to pull out than i remember (when the glow plug is in) so possibly compression issues, however when i spin the fly wheel it does go very stiff at the top, before going loose to do another rotation, also when i do prime the engine the fuel do not seem to move in the fuel line (or moves very little) in anyones knowelege and limited info given here,what is my problem and is it worth fixing to sell or sell as it is or break up and sell, Its an acme condor (i know they are rubbish but has given me an insight into the sport and like it (taken a 9 month break due to new arrival of a baby boy, who will love all things RC in years to come) I have lots of spares and new glow igniter, fuel bottle etc so would make a great starter kit for someone else just starting out, just would love for it to work. Any help greatly apreciated. look forward to your replies or any offers to buy, I live in Bradford, UK.</p>

init4fun 12-10-2012 07:32 AM

RE: Infinity .18 engine non start

Quote:

ORIGINAL: Nomis15......... the pull start is easier to pull out than i remember (when the glow plug is in) so possibly compression issues, however when i spin the fly wheel it does go very stiff at the top, before going loose to do another rotation...

A couple of thoughts here ;

First , it's either got compression or it hasn't . If you take the glow plug out and pull the starter with your finger over the glow plug hole , do you feel it alternating between sucking and blowing ? If it's got compression , on to the next ideas . You say you put a new glow plug in , did you verify that the plug is actually lit ? ... You say you see no fuel moving in the tubing when you prime it . How , exactly are you priming it ? If you put it away 9+ months ago with fuel still in it it's highly likely that the fuel has congealed into a snot like ball of wax in your fuel passages , so everything from the fuel tank pickup to the carb's spray bar will need to be cleaned out of the old crud .

Once you have compression , glowing plug , and proper fuel delivery , it'll run ....

LAST THOUGHT !!!!

If this is the 9+ month old fuel your trying to run it with , and this already opened jug of fuel wasn't stored in just about laboratory type conditions , , It's HIGHLY likely that your fuel itself could be part of any starting problems you may have , after you get all of the other items mentioned above verified .

Good Luck [8D]

Nomis15 12-10-2012 08:33 AM

Hi,

New glow plug def works, prime by putting finger over exhaust pipe while pulling starter (used to see the fuel going through fuel pipe) however will test for compression and never realised fuel had a best before date, will get some new if engine has compression and after a good clean, will try again, thankyou for your help.

nomis

aspeed 12-10-2012 09:53 AM

Likely give it some throttle too, to start.  Don't let the kids make you sell it.  In a year or three you will want to play with it again and it won't be there. Unless you just want to upgrade or something.  I have sold so many things over the years, and wish I still had them, like a TD .010 and a .21 hydro, and stuff.  I have stuff 30 to 40 years old that is still good. (except the batteries of course)  The extra few lbs. or $ won't matter overall.  You will survive without it, likely.