RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Glow Engines (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/glow-engines-114/)
-   -   bad engines (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/glow-engines-114/11376156-bad-engines.html)

Mr Cox 01-22-2013 10:21 PM

RE: bad engines

The only real problem with the Queen Bee is the regular glow plug, it takes away too much power on any small engine to have a regular plug.
The TD 09 head is a straight drop in though and the QB then beats most .049 engines on a 6x3 props (max rpm around 18000); [link=http://rcuvideos.com/video/Cox-Queen-Bee]rcuvideo[/link]

Sport_Pilot 01-22-2013 10:28 PM

ORIGINAL: 50+AirYears

I've never had problems with Fox Customer Service. In fact, a few years ago, I had a cranck snap on an old Baffle .25 RC. Gave them a call, and had a new crank in about 5 days. Then, about 6 weeks later, had the same thing happen with my other .25 baffle engine. Gave them a call, explained what happened. Again, about 5 days later, had a new crank. But this time, no charge showed up on my credit card.
90% of my 1/2A flying is done with Cox. 90% of everything else is done with Fox.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/js/f.../thumbs_up.gifFox service is the best! Nobody else will ship a part before the check comes in! I don't think they have any bad engines in their lineup now. Just need to use low nitro fuel in their larger engines.

Mr Cox 01-23-2013 04:08 AM

ORIGINAL: Sport_Pilot

They made a .049 Queen Bee as well.

Really, that's certainly news to me. Do you have any picture?

Sport_Pilot 01-23-2013 05:50 AM

Sorry, got it mixed up with the Golden Bee.

MJD 01-23-2013 06:08 AM

:) No worries.. for a minute, I found myself wondering of the name had been used on more than engine over the years, but the only Queen Bee I knew about was the .074. I think the power output could be rationally explained as it being a more "mildly" set up engine than a Tee Dee, i.e. peak hp at lower rpm and aiming for tractability, general sport use, turning 7" props well etc. Sounds good when you put it that way anyhow. The comment about it having no more power than a TD .049 has been heard since it appeared on the market, but this does not surprise me as I don't think it was intended to have 1.5 times the peak hp of the TD, but rather to be a small displacement general purpose RC engine.

Mr Cox 01-23-2013 07:25 AM

A .049 TD spinning a 5x3 prop at 20000rpm is about 60W of power.
A Queen Bee spinning a 6x3 prop at 18000rpm (as in shown in the movie above) is developing about 90W.

That is directly proportional to the cylinder volume difference, so in that sens the Queen Bee is every bit as good as a TD in terms of engine design.

GallopingGhostler 01-23-2013 08:05 AM

Where I would see the value of the .074 Queen Bee is in the ability to turn a larger low pitched prop for say, an old timer or Texaco. Those have such short noses that a heavier engine helps with the CG, a 7x3 prop would provide better thrust IMO for RC flight than say a Cox Texaco .049 engine.

aspeed 01-23-2013 08:08 AM

You have to remember the rpm figures to go apples to apples.  A TD may be measured without a muffler and compared to a Queen Bee with one because the majority of both of them came that way.  Also the Queen Bee was meant to update the .049 with a throttle and muffler which was in demand then as people were going away from control line and flea fright.  It is pretty good as reedies go, especially without a muffler.  I think a TD .09 was available with a throttle and muffler for a short time too.  It may have been pretty good too.  I have a .051 with the throttle and muffler as well, it is one of the later offerings, asd I suspect it is pretty good too.  I haven't tried it yet.  Too many things on the go.  The Norvel .074 is pretty good.  It is the only motor I have that isn't fussy on the high speed needle and idles nice.  It just screams good and is a pleasure to run.  Still my favourite Cox is the Conquest .15.  beats my Rossi of the time.

earlwb 01-23-2013 08:41 AM

The .074 Queen Bee is a good engine. They upped the displacement size to compensate for using a regular glow plug, including a muffer and adding the RC carb to it. Thus it is equivalent to using a .049 in power without any of that stuff on the engine.  They do make pretty good RC engines though. Unfortunately the public didn't seem all that interested at the time, so it wasn't very popular.

MJD 01-23-2013 10:51 AM

ORIGINAL: aspeed
Still my favourite Cox is the Conquest .15. beats my Rossi of the time.
Here's my RC version with Perry carb, first bench run (after SPI had it) using a Bartels GF 7x3.5 Cox clone, one of the common FAI FF props of the '70's.

[link=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z3ImgsQJpq0]Conquest .15 bench run[/link]

I had not touched the low speed mixture yet on this run, and this is with a Nelson plug. 15% nitro, 23% total oil (Omega plus 5% castor). I haven't run the FF version yet, but I would expect another 1k or so out of it with the big venturi and no muffler and same prop.

blw 01-23-2013 11:01 AM

Sport Pilot- OS is now contracting out manufacturing in China

GallopingGhostler 01-23-2013 11:10 AM

ORIGINAL: blw Sport Pilot - OS is now contracting out manufacturing in China
I've watched the OS prices steady climb. A reduction in price as long as quality is maintained is welcomed. Just curious, could this possibly be relate to why that most AP and ASP engines, particularly the smaller engines are now out of stock with the large Internet sellers?

Tony Iannucelli 01-23-2013 01:22 PM

I think the reason all Japanese products are expensive and getting worse is the exchange value of the yen. The yen is very strong vs. the dollar, and it therefore takes more dollars to buy Japanese products. Oversimplified perhaps, but a big reason. The other brands you mention are from China.

Super Tigre engines have never been easy for me to use, but I have seen many than run fine. A lot of guys put OS carbs on them. We used to use Perrys. Once you use OS and YS it's hard to go to the other brands. I started using a Magnum 91 four stroke a short time ago, and have been impressed so far. The first dead stick might change my mind. Ford / Chevy, here we go.

Sport_Pilot 01-23-2013 01:43 PM

We used to use Perrys.
Perry carbs are fine but you have to adjust the idle mixture from hot to cool days more often than most. IMO most ST carbs are superior to Perry carbs and most on par with OS carbs.

The Magnums are fine, but have more lemons from poor metal than most. But not bad enough to list them as a bad engine here.

GallopingGhostler 01-23-2013 02:03 PM

You bring up a vaild point, Tony Iannucelli. It didn't dawn on me the exchange rate, the Yen being stronger than US currency. I've only got one Magnum to compare with, a .15GP. It seems to run about the same as an OS .15FP. Also an interesting point, Sport_Pilot, which explains why some non-OS engines being sold on E-Bay using OS carbs. Speak of OS carbs, my OS Max .10 RC baffle piston engine has no idle air bleed adjust screw, yet it idles fine as though it doesn't need it.

controlliner 01-23-2013 02:05 PM

The only thing good about the OS engines are the carbs....they are the best fuel metering units in the business. Mabe if OS gets manufacturing in mainland China, the engines labeled ABC will all be genuinely chrome plated sleeves. China does a lot of chrome plating for many industries in the World for the cheapest price. I think it has something to do with their shawdy HAZMAT disposal laws keeping the price low. This is a real disturbing fact on a global level. The pollution will eventually make it to our shores. :(

GallopingGhostler 01-23-2013 02:08 PM

Perhaps it already has, and I think there are more countries involved than just the one. Food chain experts are telling us to eat fish only two meals a week, to avoid excessive mercury poisoning.

HellcatAce 01-23-2013 02:24 PM

Had a Magnum xls .52 2 stroke once. It more air leaks than good seals and would not run consistently. Swapped it for another one at the shop and it ran worse.

Swapped that one for an O.S. The OS .46ax that replaced it has 15 gallons easy through it.

No more Magnum for me. Never tried the Magnum 4 strokes that many are fond of, but I'll pass on their 2 strokes.

aspeed 01-23-2013 03:35 PM

I think the newer Magnums and ASP's are getting better in the last few years.  There is a learning curve in building motors.  The Japanese went through the same thing in the 1970's.  The Japanese motors aren't really that expensive considering the time it takes to machine. even with CNC's.  It is just the Chinese people working long hours for so little money.  If their money exchange rate was what it should be, then they would be at least double the price.  Just the government controls the exchange rate artificially to keep them working. Their HazMat disposal laws are too lax, but ours are way too stringent, making it better to send things there.  It costs way more money to dispose of plating materials here than it does to buy them.  We had to stop plating where I worked because of that.  It is a nasty job anyway, so everyone just farms it out to the lowest bidder.

jeffie8696 01-23-2013 06:00 PM

The black aluminum Irvine carbs are/were awesome.

1QwkSport2.5r 01-23-2013 06:35 PM

ORIGINAL: Sport_Pilot

ORIGINAL: black dog

the new os they will run but when you copy off thundertiger like the 46 and rename the plston.now they are made in china that should say it all junk.an i have fox engines that are 25 years old that have more power than os ,and i have os thats why i know..

Not sure which you are refering to, but neither TT nor OS are made in China. TT 46 is not a knock off. It is designed by the former OS designer and is basically the next generation of the OS SF. The FX was in a different direction and was made to have good power with a restrictive muffler.
The AX II 46 & 55 from OS is believed to be made in China.

CellTech 01-23-2013 07:00 PM

My Iron Piston/Steel Sleeve Fox 45 has yet to show signs of the piston/sleeve peeling issues my last OS 46FX paper weight engine did. The Fox just keeps getting better with age. The Fox outlasted the OS by ten plus years. Also the Fox has considerably more power. Actually the OS has no power, it is now a paper weight since Customer no service refused to replace the piston/sleeve as they claimed it was run too lean. Yep the Power Master GMA 10/22 fuel, half castor,half synthetic just does not contain enough oil to keep the OS together

aspeed 01-23-2013 07:29 PM

You may want to check some of the threads here.  I believe a piston/cyl from a Magnum interchanges with the OS motor, and is much cheaper than OS and is ABC.  I don't know firsthand, but think I saw it here somewhere.

50+AirYears 01-23-2013 07:48 PM

I remember when I got a large case Fox .40, then a couple .45s with the early TN Pre Mk X carb. People were giving them away after trying them. I was having some luck, better than most. Then PGF Chinn had a test series on the different carbs. He ran a two part article, one on everybody else's, and one on the Fox. A reason to read the instructions. With those Fox carbs, you left the carb on the rich side on the high end, adjusted the idle mixture for best low end, THEN you set the high end. I lost the .40 in the woods because of wing spar failure, but the .45s were set up for 1,950 rpm idles and around 14,200 to 14-500 top on 10-6 props, and only needed a couple tweeks either way throughout the season changes, summer to winter. Once during a fun fly, I had my plane idling on the ready line for over 10 minutes without anybody having to hold it down, then had immediate high speed when I got the go-ahead. No loading that whole time at idle. You could sometimes see individual blades going around.
I've done a lot of flying with engines other people consider garbage, and I've seen people get great results with engines I couldn't even get to run. I once picked up a Fox Baffle .15 RC that the owner thought was junk. He'd gotten it second hand, offered it for $2. He'd never gotten it to run. I took a look, spotted the trouble, and gave him his price. Got it home, took out the piston, put it back together so the baffle was on the bypass side of the case, put the head back on to match, and had a very good .15.

Mr Cox 01-23-2013 10:24 PM

ORIGINAL: GallopingGhostler
Speak of OS carbs, my OS Max .10 RC baffle piston engine has no idle air bleed adjust screw, yet it idles fine as though it doesn't need it.
It has an airbleed, or a similar low end compensation, it is just that it is not adjustable. Other engines like that are the Norvels and MP Jet (plain bearing one).