RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Glow Engines (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/glow-engines-114/)
-   -   Old Enya 60 muffler bolts? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/glow-engines-114/11381511-old-enya-60-muffler-bolts.html)

buzzard bait 01-23-2013 12:09 PM

Old Enya 60 muffler bolts?

Can anyone tell me the thread size for the muffler bolts for the strap-on mufflers for the Enya 60s, that is, the II and III?

I know I saw something on this once, but couldn't find it with a search.

Thanks,

Jim

downunder 01-23-2013 09:43 PM

RE: Old Enya 60 muffler bolts?

Although I don't have any of the earlier 60's, the muffler bolts for the smaller strap on types is 3x.5mm and this is still the same size as used on the latest (re-release) of the 60-IIIB which now uses a bolt on muffler. Socket head screws of the right length should be available at your LHS.

buzzard bait 01-24-2013 12:41 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Thanks Downunder, but I just answered my own question, or at least I have the screws. I have a little drawer of metric screws ranging from M2.5 to M4, and I found two M4x40mm screws that fit perfectly! I don't know the pitch. The funny thing is I had searched this drawer once before and concluded that I had the right body but the wrong pitch. But when I went back to it I couldn't understand what I had gotten wrong, because they screwed into my old muffler perfectly, and not just a short way either, but deep into the holes, and the length was perfect too! This is why my workshop is such a mess...once in awhile saving stuff pays off. I have no idea where those screws came from, but not from any Enya that I know of.

Someone showed up at the field a couple years ago giving away old engines. I got a box full of Enya 60 II parts and cobbled together an engine, but I couldn't find muffler bolts. There were two mufflers and the worst of them I drilled and re-tapped for 6-32 bolts. But when I ran it up on the test stand the exhaust port broke where the holes were for the baffle. In fact, the box had three other crankcases broken the same way, so I guess I was warned. The muffler got destroyed in the process.

That left one muffler and no crankcase. Then a 60 II crankcase turned up on ebay without any baffle holes, it was cheap, and no one else was bidding. So now I needed muffler screws, not wanting to drill and tap again.

After all this, I know it really isn't a very powerful engine, but I like it because of all the effort I put into it. It's in the single digits outdoors right now so a test will have to wait, but I'm eager to see. I took the Perry carb apart and gave it good cleaning. It should be good.

Thanks for the reply. Makes sense that they would use 3mm on the new ones since almost all mufflers seem to use those now.

Jim

buzzard bait 01-24-2013 12:44 PM

By the way, note the small muffler. It fits the 60 and does not fit the old 45, so it's the right one. All the ones I've seen on 60 IIIs are longer in back. I'd rather have the long one, but what the heck, I'm not going to get a lot of power out of this thing anyway. Jim

downunder 01-24-2013 05:59 PM

Glad you've got it all sorted out now. The 60-II dates from '65 until late '69 and the exhaust with no baffle holes indicates it was a CL crankcase. You can find a test on the 60-II TV [link=http://sceptreflight.net/Model%20Engine%20Tests/Index.html]here[/link].

buzzard bait 01-24-2013 07:05 PM

Thank you, your engine review site is a wonderful resource.

Jim

Four Stroker 01-25-2013 09:01 AM

Not that it really matters but those look like M3 bolts as downunder said.

buzzard bait 01-25-2013 09:42 AM

Definitely not M3. M3 bolts slide right into the holes. Hold the correct bolts up next to M3s and the difference is obvious.

buzzard bait 03-11-2013 01:08 PM

I just ran it up on a Rev-Up 12x5 and got 11,300 rpm. I'm pleased! I put this together from a box of parts from several engines and was not expecting much. Remember this weighs barely over 17 ozs with muffler, so it's no heavier than a modern .46.

The stock muffler is pretty loud and also looks quite restrictive. I picked up a Bisson strap-on muffler second hand that is supposed to be for a .29 to .40, but it has at least double the volume of the stock Enya muffler, maybe triple, and the outlet is much larger. The strap is not long enough to fit the engine so I have to get a big hose camp to fit, otherwise it's a good fit. I hope it will at least be quieter, and maybe pick up a few more rpms.

Jim