RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Glow Engines (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/glow-engines-114/)
-   -   glow engines are fading away (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/glow-engines-114/11641671-glow-engines-fading-away.html)

F4 Phantom blue angles 09-14-2017 11:57 AM

glow engines are fading away

I don't know,but it seems like glow engines are fading into oblivion. Back in the early 1980's, here is what was readily available;; Fox,Enya,Webra,Rossi,Magnum,YS,Thunder Tiger,Supertiger ASP,Etc. Now it seems like OS,and Evolution are about it. Its' all going to electric now.

Hobbsy 09-14-2017 12:43 PM

I recently bought a new Saito 1.00, a new Saito 1.25, an FG 11, a Saito FA .40a, An OS .56 Alpha and OS .62v and a Laser 1.00. Glow is alive and well at my house.

ira d 09-14-2017 02:13 PM

Originally Posted by F4 Phantom blue angles (Post 12367824)
I don't know,but it seems like glow engines are fading into oblivion. Back in the early 1980's, here is what was readily available;; Fox,Enya,Webra,Rossi,Magnum,YS,Thunder Tiger,Supertiger ASP,Etc. Now it seems like OS,and Evolution are about it. Its' all going to electric now.

Glow is old technology and has been on the decline in the USA for a few years now, Magnum is supposed to be making a come back but yes OS Evolution and Saito are about it and if you notice these companies are starting to move more toward gas too.

thailazer 09-14-2017 04:20 PM

ASP is still selling a lot of engines, as is OS. There will always be a niche for these gems.

aspeed 09-14-2017 05:48 PM

Novarossi and Norvel (NV) Fora, Profi. MB.

the Wasp 09-14-2017 06:54 PM

don't forget !! some of OS engines are made in China !!

Jim

aspeed 09-14-2017 07:01 PM

Originally Posted by the Wasp (Post 12367912)
don't forget !! some of OS engines are made in China !!

Jim

Great, someone likes to make them.

the Wasp 09-14-2017 08:06 PM

great, someone likes to make them.
lol

the Wasp 09-14-2017 08:19 PM

lets not forget... OPS, CMB, Picco, K&B, RJL, YS, HB, HP, Top, AA Engines, FW, TecnoPower engines,

Jim

iAlex 09-14-2017 08:29 PM

And my personal favorite, JETT.

1QwkSport2.5r 09-14-2017 11:02 PM

Originally Posted by iAlex (Post 12367926)
And my personal favorite, JETT.

I wonder how Dub fared after the hurricane down there. Nothing noted on his website or in the support forum either.

+1 for Dub Jett engines. Novarossi is a close second for high performance engines.

oliveDrab 09-15-2017 03:05 AM

... and don't forget Rimfire 65cc, EFlite Power 160, AXI 4120/18.

Hobbsy 09-15-2017 03:12 AM

4 Attachment(s)
OS China built .95-v, a work of art and runs like a Swiss watch.

1QwkSport2.5r 09-15-2017 06:54 AM

2 Attachment(s)
One of Dub Jett's finest. BSE .35 turning an 8x6 APC; not peaked. Made in the good ol' USA.

acdii 09-15-2017 07:41 AM

Who is selling Magnum now that Hobby people is gone? There are still a lot of us diehard popper flyers around. Nothing better than the smell and sound of a glow powered Saito running on 15% Wildcat 2&4. Larger planes are going gas mainly due to the cost of Glow fuel. I can't wait to hear what a pair of NGH38CC sound like running in sync. Four Stroke Gas with straight pipes.

buzzard bait 09-15-2017 08:22 AM

There's also the RCV sleeve valve four strokes.

aspeed 09-15-2017 01:18 PM

The new Magnum guy. https://www.mikegoesflying.com/produ...plane-engines/ I want to get another .15 and maybe a .25 soon. The Jetts are pretty nice.

flyboy2610 09-15-2017 04:59 PM

I wish I had a nickel for every prognosticator who has pronounced the demise of the glow engine. I could retire now.
And if I had a nickel for every prognosticator who has pronounced the demise of balsa airplane kits, I could buy my own island to retire to! :D

Jennifer Curtis 09-15-2017 05:28 PM

Glow engines are suffering the same fate a cars.
There used to be tons of car manufacturers.
Studebaker, Willys, Packard, Desoto, Duesenberg,
Stanley Steamer, La Salle, Saturn, Nash, Scion, Kaiser,
Mercury and hundreds more are now all history. Pretty soon
it will be impossible to find any cars or glow engines at all.

Jenny

GREG DOE 09-15-2017 07:41 PM

Dub did just fine. No flooding in either his home or his shop.

1QwkSport2.5r 09-16-2017 03:50 AM

Originally Posted by GREG DOE (Post 12368146)
Dub did just fine. No flooding in either his home or his shop.

Fantastic news. Thanks for posting that.

ira d 09-16-2017 11:16 PM

Originally Posted by Jennifer Curtis (Post 12368128)
Glow engines are suffering the same fate a cars.
There used to be tons of car manufacturers.
Studebaker, Willys, Packard, Desoto, Duesenberg,
Stanley Steamer, La Salle, Saturn, Nash, Scion, Kaiser,
Mercury and hundreds more are now all history. Pretty soon
it will be impossible to find any cars or glow engines at all.

Jenny

Many of the automobile names you listed are just brand names used by different car manufactures at times so even though the brand names were dropped the cars that carried those name were still around with different names at least
for a while. Take Sicion for example it was a Toyota brand and some of the cars are still available under the Toyota brand name, I dont think cars are going anywhere but glow engines are a old technology so they are not in demand like
they were twenty years ago. Because the demand is not there many companies stopped making them and other companies stooped importing them .

There will always be people that want glow and there will always be a way to get them but as time goes by I think we will see less and less of a selection to choose from.

jaka 09-18-2017 02:54 AM

Hi!
The "problem"(if it is a problem...) with glow engines being outdated in favor of electric motors , seems to be world wide fenomen, at least in the western world. More new comers today are beginning their R/C career by buying instead of building , their first plane , and that being a plastic plane powered by an electric motor. Glow engines is something they dont see working and why use anything that cumbersome when it's so easy to just go electric, turn on a switch and everything is working. You don't have the hazzle with understanding how the engine works and you don't have to clean the plane fter every flying session.
More people today are not interested in being members in a club as before, at least it is so here in Sweden and I think it's the same over in the US too. AMA is on the decline and so are many more national R/C plane orginisations.
I myself am biased, I prefere glow engines! I like the sound and the smell of glow and diesel engines running on castor oil and I like R/C planes being powered by every type of combustion engine as they show that the person that handles them "know something"! Electric motors are more like "toys"! You don't have to have any knowledge to handle them.

acdii 09-18-2017 04:55 AM

I tend to agree, Electrics are toys, takes very little knowledge to make them work. To properly size electrics for a build, there are calculators out there. Companies are also now sizing electrics in such a way that they will be easier to compare to a glow now. There is an art to fine tuning a glow or gas engine, and the sound they make just adds to the experience, especially when it rips the prop on a fly by.

The other reason for the decline are communities banning old school RC flying because of the noise. Many of the flying fields that were around where I live are long gone, replaced either with housing, or soccer/baseball/football fields. To find a decent field you have to travel long distances away from cities. The closest to me where I fly is on a private airstrip where we lease a small section to fly off of. It is a really nice quiet area, but the strip we have is short since we don't fly off the main runway. We do fly gas, and I'm probably the only one who flies small planes, and the only one flying glow. The others just fly gas and have given me their leftover glow fuel, so I wont need to buy any for quite some time. One of the guys gave me 3 glow engines, and has a box of parts for me too. They fly DA and DLE instead.

I love the smell of Wildcat too, and that all adds to the experience.

sarpet 09-18-2017 08:46 AM

Originally Posted by 1QwkSport2.5r (Post 12368016)
One of Dub Jett's finest. BSE .35 turning an 8x6 APC; not peaked. Made in the good ol' USA.

.25 novarossi apc 8x4 standard muffler 19200rpm.
and ihave 1 fora.21 combat engine ,very light and powerfull.