RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Glow Engines (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/glow-engines-114/)
-   -   Welcome to Club SAITO ! (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/glow-engines-114/3306814-welcome-club-saito.html)

charlie1960 09-03-2011 06:43 AM

RE: Welcome to Club SAITO !

The fitting on the back of the engine is for crankcase venting.
Attach a short peice of fuel line to it (approx 4 inch) and leave it open.
Excess oil burps out that line. It doesnt connect to anything. Just make sure it goes somewhere
outside the aircraft;)

Disaster averted:D

flyingt5150 09-03-2011 07:49 AM

Thanks for the info. That makes sense Iwill give it a try.

thanks!

pmfennellnh 09-03-2011 03:41 PM

Hello All

This is my first post to this forum. I am wondering if anybody can direct me to a location where I might find an owners manual for a Saito FA-65. Ijust bought it used at an auction and it is barely broken in. But, I am really excited about mounting it to a GP Sporster that I have and want to dial it in. Thanks for your help.
Pete

N1EDM 09-03-2011 04:42 PM

Here's an online copy of the manual that you want. I hope that this helps,

Bob

http://www.horizonhobby.com/ProdInfo..._manual-lo.pdf

flyingagin 09-03-2011 04:51 PM

I bought my .65 almost 20 years ago. WOW what a sweet engine. It now needs a rebuild. I think just the two main bearings and a new ring should do it. I have never had it apart. I now wish I had bought at least 3 of them. Would be fantastic in a twin. Super reliable.

jafo150 09-03-2011 05:34 PM

going to break in my new saito .91 for my midwest super stearman and have a question
I have a jam nut and an adaptor as seen in both pics of this link that fits my saito.
how/which do i use and and in what order. no instructions were included.
thanks
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...SEARCH=jam+nut

blw 09-03-2011 06:05 PM

Jafo150, that's the prop nut and second locking nut. You will see where the locking nut fits. Since 4 strokes can backfire and throw props, the locking nut is often used.

jafo150 09-04-2011 09:05 AM

Thanks but, without a better description I cant really tell. I might guess but i might guess wrong as all my exp is with 2 strokes. What about the little coned shaped nut with threads. what about the big washer,? does that take the place of the thrust washer? you can see my confusion i hope.
thanks again</p>

kevinkenny 09-04-2011 11:12 AM

1 Attachment(s)
<div style="margin-top: 0px; margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: 0px; margin-left: 0px; padding-top: 0px; padding-right: 0px; padding-bottom: 0px; padding-left: 0px; background-image: initial; background-attachment: initial; background-origin: initial; background-clip: initial; background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255); font-family: Arial; font-size: 12px; ">I had an interesting problem with my Saito-180. The engine was purchased on E bay about two years ago with a bent crank shaft which was replaced along with a carburetor upgrade kit. Since then she ran beautifully would start with no problem, my best behaved engine. Last week she just would not start. Changed the plug, checked the push rods, checked the fuel and nothing would get it to start. I decided to take apart the carburetor and clean it in case there was some dirt clogging up something. And to my surprise as I took it apart i found the ventury on the high speed jet had a crack in it. I also noticed that the jet it self had becomes pitted. I have ordered replacement parts but wonder if anyone knows how this could happen.</div><span class="Apple-style-span" style="font-family: Arial; ">Kevin</span>

The Raven 09-04-2011 12:44 PM

Are referring to the 'split' on the brass section, that is the spray bar. It is meant to be there.

Hobbsy 09-04-2011 01:13 PM

1 Attachment(s)
That slot is where the fuel enters the airstream. Here is a shot of the one in a 2.20, a sleeve slides in and out over the slot metering the fuel from idle to about 85% throttle. A flat ended rod inside the spraybar serves the same purpose in a SuperTigre carb. The slot is generally referred to as a "cats eye"

kevinkenny 09-04-2011 01:47 PM

You learn somethjing new every day. Is the split meant to face looking out or looking in towards the cylinder? Or does it matter?
Kevin

earlwb 09-04-2011 01:48 PM

Yes it is common for the spray bar to have a slot cut in it like that. Most of the time it looks like a elongated diamond shape and not rounded like that one on yours. The pit on the end of the needle was there since day one. But the sensitive part is more towards the shoulder so it probably worked fine for you. Normally the split faces straight down from the top, so it points down. But with the Saito engines, the bottom of the carb is up, so you want to facing straight down towards the bottom of the carb, which would have it point straight into the intake manifold tube.

I would check the O-ring seals on the intake manifold and make sure the valve gaps are set OK. If the compression feels Ok, it may simply be a bad glow plug. I had a glow plug fail on my Saito 80 once. It would light up and glow nicely but the engine would not fire at all. i put in a new glow plug and it fired right up and ran fine. Sometimes the glow plug element gets too contaminated and it doesn't initiate the catalyst reaction that lets the engine run.

blw 09-04-2011 01:52 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Jafo150

Here is a diagram from the manual. This is how it fits on the crankshaft. One side of the nut labeled #28 has a machined groove for the 'cone' section of #110. This is easy to reverse if you aren't paying attention.

SigMan 09-04-2011 04:21 PM

i just found a new Sig Rascal with a new Saito 82 on it. it has never been flown or even started for 300 bucks ! i see horizon has discontinued this engine. anyone know why ? i hear the 82 has a bad crank case. is this true ?

JohnB96041 09-04-2011 04:28 PM

Looking at HH web site, I still see the Saito .82 in stock.

JohnB96041 09-04-2011 04:30 PM

I have been flying a Saito .82 on my Sig Somthin Extra for about 3 years now with great success. Love this little engine.

blw 09-04-2011 04:32 PM

Sigman, here: http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...rodID=SAIE082B

SigMan 09-04-2011 05:04 PM

that link is for the 82 with the new case .i think it was the 82e they discontinued.. i was just curious. thanks guys.

clytle374 09-04-2011 06:27 PM

ORIGINAL: SigMan

i just found a new Sig Rascal with a new Saito 82 on it. it has never been flown or even started for 300 bucks ! i see horizon has discontinued this engine. anyone know why ? i hear the 82 has a bad crank case. is this true ?
Had me worried that I just had my Dad buy a bad motor. I found 2 82s on horizons site, one discontinued and the other not.

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...rodID=SAIE082A

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...rodID=SAIE082B

I have no idea about the crankcase, but you can tell the difference by the pictures.
Cory

w8ye 09-04-2011 07:19 PM

There's nothing wrong with either crankcase.

It is just the old "A" version and the new "B" version

They redesigned the engine for the FG-14 and then they went back and changed the Saito 72 and 82 to be like the gas engine.

The cylinder and all the moving parts are the same in both versions

jafo150 09-04-2011 07:51 PM

thanks guys!

pilomeza 09-04-2011 09:09 PM

I have two of these engines, one GK and the other the regular color, both are great. The GK more than 3 years, and the other almost two, they run flawless.

Hapy Landings

NM2K 09-05-2011 12:51 AM

ORIGINAL: SigMan

I am not a Saito expert, but I never heard of the Saito .82 having a crankcase problem in its original form. I suspect that the introduction of the B model has more to do with the introduction of the 14 cc gas/spark version. Why make two different crankcases when one will work for both versions? Just my $.02 worth.

Ed Cregger

NM2K 09-05-2011 12:56 AM

Oops, another misfire!

Ed Cregger