RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Glow Engines (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/glow-engines-114/)
-   -   Welcome to Club SAITO ! (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/glow-engines-114/3306814-welcome-club-saito.html)

clytle374 12-25-2011 08:42 AM

RE: Welcome to Club SAITO !

ORIGINAL: Hobbsy

Thanks Jim and the same to you and yours, I am currently finishing and old ACE 4-40 and have mounted and old Saito FA .40 with a TutboHeader on it. I'll post a couple of pics. later today.
Yeah, please post a picture of it. Been thinking since I saw your post about a guy at the field who had one, back in the 80s when I was learning. Miss that guy, taught me a lot. Merry Christmas everybody.

Cory

Hobbsy 12-26-2011 03:49 PM

Thanks Cory and Jim, I haven't taken the pictures yet because I decided to add the cowl cheeks which you have to make your self. I made a special one for the right cheek to make clearance for an extension on the TH inside the the cowl cheek. I glued the right cheek with 3 hour epoxy so it is weighted down till morning.

dasquirrelisme 12-27-2011 12:59 PM

What kind of mount do you guys use for a Saito 180? Would like to spend less than 40 bucks.

w8ye 12-27-2011 01:50 PM

I've used two

The biggest Great Planes adjustable

And the big Hanger Nine aluminum that originally came on the 120 size Ultra Stick.

Hobbsy 12-28-2011 10:43 AM

1 Attachment(s)
The FA .40 is in there with the Turbo header and extension, its a very tight fit but the TH and the extensions clear by 1/8th" all around. Note vent attached to exhaust. Don't holler at me about the Sullivan Dyna Mount it works perfectly with the FA .40. Still in the rough.

mrwad 12-29-2011 12:27 PM

Hi all, Happy New Year !

Once again I turn to my fellow Club Saito members for some info. Does anyone know how much HP the Saito 100 flat twin makes ??

I have one in an ARF I am about to maiden and my fellow fliers are saying it makes only 1.0 hp. and it's kind of a "dog". I hope they are wrong on this.......Does anyone know the numbers on this engine ? :eek:

Thanks in advance, Don Club Saito Member #731 :D:D

w8ye 12-29-2011 01:44 PM

It doesn't make as much all out power as the Saito 100 single because of internal friction.

It does a nice job with a 14 X 6 prop though.

Rudolph Hart 12-29-2011 02:50 PM

What type and size arf do you have it in?

earlwb 12-29-2011 06:43 PM

ORIGINAL: mrwad
Hi all, Happy New Year !
Once again I turn to my fellow Club Saito members for some info. Does anyone know how much HP the Saito 100 flat twin makes ??
I have one in an ARF I am about to maiden and my fellow fliers are saying it makes only 1.0 hp. and it's kind of a "dog". I hope they are wrong on this.......Does anyone know the numbers on this engine ? :eek:
Thanks in advance, Don Club Saito Member #731 :D:D
As mentioned already above, the twin cylinder engines do not make as much power as a single cylinder engine of the same displacement. Some twins go for more displacement to compensate for the power difference making them equal or greater than a single. The engines are not "dogs", they are just different. it is difficult to impossible to get both cylinder tuned to be equal, so it is always a compromise based on the weaker cylinder. Plus the internal drag or resistances are greater too. But a twin is much smoother running than a single with less vibration as the two cylinder tend to balance each other out. The main reason to use a multi-cylinder engine is for more scale realism and maybe the sound too. So your twin 1.00 would be about equal to a single .90 or .91 engine.

w8ye 12-29-2011 07:28 PM

The twins have a surprising amount of low end torque

Homer712 12-30-2011 10:46 PM

Boy do I feel like a "Johnny come lately." 849 pages here and I just finally get my FIRST (been flying r/c since the mid 1970's) Saito. Just picked up an FA-62 which I plan on installing in a Sig 1/5 Cub which will be a winter build (the things you find time for once retired). To date everything I've flown has been 2-stroke. Mostly old Italian Super Tigre and Evolution, one OS and a few Thunder Tigers, which I'm really fond of. I've got the Saito mounted to a home made test/break-in stand I've used for years and if the weather holds out tomorrow I hope to put a couple of tank fulls through the engine. Then they suggest that I adjust the lifter gap (that's what it's called, right?). Problem is that the little packet in box that had the little tools in it contained everything but the feeler gauge. Any suggestions? I've still got feeler gauges from back when we use to adjust our own spark plug and distributor gaps (if you're under 40 you wouldn't understand). Would those work just as well?

Anyway, thanks to all for all the great Saito information. Now I need to get back to reading. Still have 654 more pages to go!

charlie1960 12-31-2011 05:08 AM

yes they will work fine.
if their not so big that they get in your way....[8D]

blw 12-31-2011 10:07 AM

By all means use your feeler gauges. That is better than the little tool. Welcome to the world of Saitos. I'll get you a club number when I get back home.

g_mkoch 12-31-2011 10:42 AM

Hello

I need some help with a saito 72.  When running it on idle I put it at 2400 rpm but then the rpms start to pick up to 2900 and back down, the engine keeps going up and down at indle. runs perfect at full throttle but can't keep a steady idle. fuel is powermaster ys/saito 20/20 and there are NO air bubbles in the fuel line.

Happy Landings

w8ye 12-31-2011 12:09 PM

There is an air leak between the intake manifold and the cylinder head.

You need a new crankcase back plate and a new O-ring on the intake manifold at the cylinder head

FNQFLYER 12-31-2011 03:50 PM

Re twins being down on power over singles, I agree (in principal).  If you want to extract more power out of your twin consider the blue printing route.  Used all the time in performance engines of all sorts.  Basically it is ensuring each cylinder is the mate of the rest (that is identical in capacity, valve spring tension etc), flow the carbys (or ensure equal flow from single carby to each cylinder) and so on.
I used to do this all the time with my race cars but only attempted it a couple of times with my multile cylinder model a/c engines.  Got lots more important things to do and if you want more power it is really down to how many "cubic" dollars do you have to buy the HP you require.  I am off to enjoy new cut off saw, arbour press and lathe which I hope will some how magically produce the replacement bits foe my K&B 3.5 cc racing engine as well as some con rods and crankshafts for my Amco 3.5cc diesel.  All needed for next years 30 year do at the SAM 1788 Easter comp at Canowindra.  Consider models resurected from over 30 years ago with lots of open rocker Saitos (as fitted then) being flown in open competition amongst a group of ever diminishing "old Farts"
Enough ramblings way back to "the wet" and my new toys

tenspeed59 01-06-2012 01:24 PM

OK gang.......got a question for anyone that can help us out......Im workin on a fellow club members SAITO 120 S nitro.....finally got both high and low needles set perfectly......valves adjusted perfect now......and now it idles at 1850 consistently and runs up at 8200 rpm all day long......while you have the plane setting on the stand horizontal....now pick it up and run it up to full throttle and put the plane in nose up attitude......and the engine leans out a bit slightly and stumbles.....now put it nose down about 20 degs down and further.....and it loads up IMMENSELY and runs pig rich and reallllllly tries to stumble and die........half throttle setting and hold it up nose up.....and it reallllllyyyyy tries leaning out....and then nose down.....and it will just get extremely rich and all but die .......we did not try the nose up or down attitude at idle.......just half and full throttle settings........HELLLPPPPP!!!!

new lines....new stopper......new tank.......new clunk.......the whole enchhilada.......3 line fuel system just for FYI......so whats the next step???

SU-31 flyer 01-06-2012 03:17 PM

What is the tank position in relation to the carb? If it's low it could show those signs.

tenspeed59 01-06-2012 05:06 PM

ORIGINAL: SU-31 flyer

What is the tank position in relation to the carb? If it's low it could show those signs.
OK Ishould have stated in the first posting that the tank is located approximately 3-4 inches BELOW the carb throat level......that was the verrrrrrrry first thing i noticed about the setup and stated to the owner that was not a prime location for the tank at all.......but......now get this.......it works MUCH and I cannot tell you how MUCCCCCCHHHHH much much better it works there that low......and yes I know it is not good......but................that is the frustration of this problem I'm fighting.....now hold the tank at mid level approx an 1.5" below the carb throat and it gets worse.......either level or nose up or down.......and move the tank higher to the "quote......normal.....unquote" slightly below or level at the throat of the carb and........YUP you guessed.......much worse throughout the entire operational spectrum.......GRRRR!!!!!

Not alot on this problem makes a lick of sense at all......but Iwill figure it out.......come heck high water or flood.....as the saying goes.

hsukaria 01-06-2012 07:17 PM

If the tank is really low compared to the carb needle, you end up opening the needles (richen) to get enough fuel when the plane is level. Raising the nose up causes the tank level to get even lower, but dropping the nose down or inverting the plane causes rapid flooding. I had a plane like that with a 2-stroke. I ended up changing the engine orientation to inverted to lower the throttle relative to the carb. That helped.

Rudolph Hart 01-07-2012 03:32 AM

What huk is saying makes good sense to me.Tenspeed jump on your pushbike and cycle 5 miles flatout,they say lots of exercise is good for stress,then shout yourself a nice meal in a good eat out house..couple a vino's later and the world's all good mate,cheers:)

kwblake 01-07-2012 11:59 AM

Hey Folks.  Sign me up.  A couple of days ago, I bought my first 4 stroke, an FA 100.  Going into my Four Star, if I ever get it finished.  Haven't decided if I'm going horizontal or inverted.  I love the look of a four stroke, with the exposed pushrod tubes and rocker covers. I guess this is partly due to my old motorcycle days. ( Harley )  So I'm sort of leaning toward the horizontal, so you can still see some of what I think is beautiful.  Any thoughts?   Just took it out of the box AGAIN !!!  Dern that thing looks great!!!!!

flycatch 01-07-2012 12:48 PM

I have a problem and need advice. I purchased a Saito 220 NIB and proceeded to bench test it. When I advance past 1/2 throttle setting the engine backfires violently throwing the complete spinner assembly. Is this engine defective?

SU-31 flyer 01-07-2012 01:10 PM

ORIGINAL: tenspeed59

OK gang.......got a question for anyone that can help us out......Im workin on a fellow club members SAITO 120 S nitro.....finally got both high and low needles set perfectly......valves adjusted perfect now......and now it idles at 1850 consistently and runs up at 8200 rpm all day long......while you have the plane setting on the stand horizontal....now pick it up and run it up to full throttle and put the plane in nose up attitude......and the engine leans out a bit slightly and stumbles.....now put it nose down about 20 degs down and further.....and it loads up IMMENSELY and runs pig rich and reallllllly tries to stumble and die........half throttle setting and hold it up nose up.....and it reallllllyyyyy tries leaning out....and then nose down.....and it will just get extremely rich and all but die .......we did not try the nose up or down attitude at idle.......just half and full throttle settings........HELLLPPPPP!!!!

new lines....new stopper......new tank.......new clunk.......the whole enchhilada.......3 line fuel system just for FYI......so whats the next step???

Is this an older saito? The old Saito's carb would not let enought 2 cycle fuel to the engine had to open needle alot. Put 4 cycle fuel in them would make them run like a top. The carb were changed don't remember quite when so people could use same fuel in both their 2 & 4 cycle engines.

I worked for hours on a friends Old Saito before I thought to ask what fuel he had in it. Put some of my Sig 4 cycle in it and had it running in minutes.:D

SU-31 flyer 01-07-2012 01:15 PM

ORIGINAL: flycatch

I have a problem and need advice. I purchased a Saito 220 NIB and proceeded to bench test it. When I advance past 1/2 throttle setting the engine backfires violently throwing the complete spinner assembly. Is this engine defective?

Most likley just needs carb set correctly. Increase thd slow an see if smokes alot then it's rich lean alittle. If no smoke it may be lean richen a little till you can get to full thd and set it.