RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Glow Engines (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/glow-engines-114/)
-   -   Welcome to Club SAITO ! (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/glow-engines-114/3306814-welcome-club-saito.html)

barnowljenx 02-27-2012 03:44 PM

RE: Welcome to Club SAITO !

I've just had the 180 back from an investigation for loss of power and they replaced both bearings and the con rod. When Iasked what had caused this damage they said it was due to me extracting maximum power from the 180! Does anyone know if this is a true statement or a load of BS?

w8ye 02-27-2012 06:00 PM

They had to replace something to get their money for looking inside the engine.

mike early 02-27-2012 06:25 PM

i.e. Load of BS. I agree.

They should return the used parts, did they?

spaceworm 02-27-2012 07:00 PM

Likely too late or OBE, but have you tracked the prop blades used in these vibration diagnosis tests?

Eva8120 02-28-2012 12:38 AM

i love my 1.20’:D

barnowljenx 02-28-2012 03:11 AM

Mike, no they did not return the used items - perhaps Ishould have asked them to do so but it's probably too late now.

Spaceworm, I've used a range of props, APCand Graupner GSonic and all produce very similar amounts of vibrations. Same props on the 150 and there was significiantly less vibration so Ithink it is the engine that is the cause of the problem.

Well, next time - if there is a next time - I'll make sure Iask for the return of any worn parts - just out of interest, you know!

Rudolph Hart 02-28-2012 05:15 AM

I think it's the way you tune it as in the tune it is in.My 220 runs very smoothly and lots of other people report the same.

mike early 02-28-2012 07:45 AM

That's a good point. A well-tuned engine is definitely smoother than a poorly tuned one.

Garthwood 02-28-2012 12:46 PM

ORIGINAL: mike early

That's a good point. A well-tuned engine is definitely smoother than a poorly tuned one.

I agree with you. But "what if" the other elements like the propellor, spinner, stale fuel etc, etc., are the culprits ???

hsukaria 02-28-2012 02:40 PM

ORIGINAL: Garthwood

ORIGINAL: mike early

I agree with you. But ''what if'' the other elements like the propellor, spinner, stale fuel etc, etc., are the culprits ???
Troubleshooting principles dictate starting with the easiest and most likely culprits. So, start with prop balance, then spinner balance, etc...

mike early 02-29-2012 03:12 PM

I need a right-angled crankcase vent fitting. Is there such an animal?

NM2K 02-29-2012 08:36 PM

I have seen brass right angle devices that were being sold at aquarium supply houses that could be made to work, if there was enough material to thread.

Ed Cregger

mike early 03-01-2012 05:46 AM

http://pics.towerhobbies.com/image/d/dtxc8341.jpg

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXTT83

I will see how this thing works out....

SrTelemaster150 03-05-2012 06:33 AM

Low Cost Fuel Alternative

Looking for something less expensive than $17-$22 a gallon glow fuel?

Although this is going to be primarily used in Sato engines W/electronic ignition, there are some YT videos showing it being used in glow engines W/O any modifications to the engine.

You can adjust the oil content to suit your needs. I have opted to run a mix that will be compatible W/the lower temperatures encountered W/spark ignition.

Google had revealed a station that had E-85 on the route to Pittsburgh so I loaded an old fashioned 5 gallon gas can that has positive sealing spout & vent caps in the trunk before I left.

At a well stocked “Hobby Express” near my Aunt’s house I picked up some fresh 15% Cool Power as a control for my testing as my 2 (unopened) gallons of the same have been sitting for some time. Although I’m confident that they have not absorbed any moisture, I still had doubts about the nitro stability over many years. Anyway, in addition to the fresh glow fuel I picked up 32oz of SIG Klotz synthetic oil that is compatible W/alcohol fuel.

I paid a slightly inflated price of $16.49 @ the Hobby Express. If this works out well, I can get the oil direct from SIG for $13.99 & shipping will be free if I combine the purchase of several quarts W/other building materials I need to total $150 or more.

I settled on 15:1 mix ratio as Saito recommends 20:1 for their gas engines. (The FG 57 gas twin has the same part # for the connecting rod as the 300T glow engine) I opted for a bit more oil content as I have been lead to believe that gasoline has a bit more lubricity than alcohol. The oil content = 7 ½% @ 15:1.

I stopped on the way home & purchased some E-85. 15 quarts of E-85 = 3.75 gallons @ $3.599 a gallon = $13.50.

$13.50 + $16.49 = $29.99 for 4 gallons of fuel/oil mix = $7.50 per gallon. The lower price of the Klotz from SIG will lower the cost per gallon to $6.75.

We are having a cold snap W/the temperatures dipping to 0*F tonight, but we are supposed to be in the 50s by Wednesday so I will delay testing until the warmer weather.

I plan to run a gallon of my old fuel through the NIB Saito FA 150 to break it in & then I will do some full throttle RPM & fuel consumption tests on both the old & fresh glow fuel. I’ll give the E-85 mix a shot on glow ignition too. It would be great if I could totally eliminate the glow fuel in my non-spark ignition Saito engines too. Confirming the glow ignition compatability of E-85 would be great news for FS 400R5 users too.

I’ll then covert to spark ignition & do similar tests.

I am thinking that cylinder head temperature readings would be helpful for the best evaluations.

Does anyone have any recommendation for an INEXPENSIVE temperature meter?

Garthwood 03-05-2012 08:28 AM

ORIGINAL: SrTelemaster150

Low Cost Fuel Alternative

Looking for something less expensive than $17-$22 a gallon glow fuel?

Although this is going to be primarily used in Sato engines W/electronic ignition, there are some YT videos showing it being used in glow engines W/O any modifications to the engine.

You can adjust the oil content to suit your needs. I have opted to run a mix that will be compatible W/the lower temperatures encountered W/spark ignition.

Google had revealed a station that had E-85 on the route to Pittsburgh so I loaded an old fashioned 5 gallon gas can that has positive sealing spout & vent caps in the trunk before I left.

At a well stocked “Hobby Express” near my Aunt’s house I picked up some fresh 15% Cool Power as a control for my testing as my 2 (unopened) gallons of the same have been sitting for some time. Although I’m confident that they have not absorbed any moisture, I still had doubts about the nitro stability over many years. Anyway, in addition to the fresh glow fuel I picked up 32oz of SIG Klotz synthetic oil that is compatible W/alcohol fuel.

I paid a slightly inflated price of $16.49 @m the Hobby Express. If this works out well, I can get the oil direct from SIG for $13.99 & shipping will be free if I combine the purchase of several quarts W/other building materials I need to total $150 or more.

I settled on 15:1 mix ratio as Saito recommends 20:1 for their gas engines. (The FG 57 gas twin has the same part # for the connecting rod as the 300T glow engine) I opted for a bit more oil content as I have been lead to believe that gasoline has a bit more lubricity than alcohol. The oil content = 7 ½% @ 15:1.

I stopped on the way home & purchased some E-85. 15 quarts of E-85 = 3.75 gallons @ $3.599 a gallon = $13.50.

$13.50 + $16.49 = $29.99 for 4 gallons of fuel/oil mix = $7.50 per gallon. The lower price of the Klotz from SIG will lower the cost per gallon to $6.75.

We are having a cold snap W/the temperatures dipping to 0*F tonight, but we are supposed to be in the 50s by Wednesday so I will delay testing until the warmer weather.

I plan to run a gallon of my old fuel through the NIB Saito FA 150 to break it in & then I will do some full throttle RPM & fuel consumption tests on both the old & fresh glow fuel. I’ll give the E-85 mix a shot on glow ignition too. It would be great if I could totally eliminate the glow fuel in my non-spark ignition Saito engines too. Confirming the glow ignition compatability of E-85 would be great news for FS 400R5 users too.

I’ll then covert to spark ignition & do similar tests.

I am thinking that cylinder head temperature readings would be helpful for the best evaluations.

Does anyone have any recommendation for an INEXPENSIVE temperature meter?

SRT..................up here north of the border, we don't have stations that carry E-85, so the only option is to use the regular gasoline. I have NIB a SAITO FG20CC engine and I intend to test bench this engine in the spring or summer. I have no big rush, I've heard quite a bit of negative comments about this engine, one being that it runs good on ground but fails in flight. I would like some one on this thread who has this engine to explain the best way to successfully have this engine tuned in properly. When you hear about these negative comments one is fairly disappointed and discouraged to the point where it becomes doubtful that this engine is anything but a show engine. I purchased this engine at the TOLEDO show 2011. Has there been any changes in the carb prior 2011 ? Those who were successful and happy with this engine, did they follow the instructions in the manual diligently ? I would like to get some feed back from the experienced guys. Thanks.

SrTelemaster150 03-05-2012 09:08 AM

SRT..................up here north of the border, we don't have stations that carry E-85, so the only option is to use the regular gasoline. I have NIB a SAITO FG20CC engine and I intend to test bench this engine in the spring or summer. I have no big rush, I've heard quite a bit of negative comments about this engine, one being that it runs good on ground but fails in flight. I would like some one on this thread who has this engine to explain the best way to successfully have this engine tuned in properly. When you hear about these negative comments one is fairly disappointed and discouraged to the point where it becomes doubtful that this engine is anything but a show engine. I purchased this engine at the TOLEDO show 2011. Has there been any changes in the carb prior 2011 ? Those who were successful and happy with this engine, did they follow the instructions in the manual diligently ? I would like to get some feed back from the experienced guys. Thanks.

I would say that the problem would most likely be in the carburater as there is no other difference between your FG20 & the FA 125 aside from the ignition system.

I looked in the Saito manuals & there is no mention on setting up the spark timing. This is ludicrous IMO. However, spark timing should not make for differing performance in the air when the engine runs fine on the ground.

For some reason Saito seems to think that gasoline needs a pump for delivery when there is no such requirement for most glow engines aside from the 300TTDP. even glow engines tend to lean out when "in the air" so perhaps that is the problem W/the gas engines. Setting it up a bit "rich' might be all that is needed.

BTW: there is E-85 available a lot closer to you than me.

Check here.

http://e85refueling.com/locations.ph...76db0f499434eb

There appears to be an E-85 station in Guelph.

You will should get between 15% to 20% more HP from alchohol fuel.

EDIT: Here is a link to the correct address/map http://maps.google.ca/maps?f=q&sourc...o+N0B+1C0&z=16

Here are some FG 20s running on E-85

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gcW_ToFJqlw[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T-AqZyrmdDY&feature=related[/youtube]

SrTelemaster150 03-05-2012 09:17 AM

Here's an FG 20 that had some cowl modification done to improve idle W/the cowl in place.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tzyXchmPBdQ&feature=related[/youtube]

Garthwood 03-05-2012 10:14 AM

SRT150......................thanks you. I did'nt know that we had E-85 fuel close by. Is it still 20:1 synthetic oil formula ? I'M amazed by the smooth running of the FG20 in the video. I also seems to run much cleaner, non of that black carbon stuff coming out. I'm surprised that Horizon Hobby never recommended the E-85 Ethanol sysnthetic fuel.
Can I use fuel stabilizers in the E-85 ? What is the formula of the E-85 really ?

Thank for your input, will keep this in mind.

Mein Duff 03-05-2012 12:15 PM

SrT... I picked up a hand held temperature reader at "Harbor Freight" recently for about $16.-...they had larger version with pistol hand grip at about $40.-

My smaller version seems to fluctuate quite radicaly between temps....but jumps back to the higher reading as a constant.

Get what you pay for I guess...I'm sure there are better quality items out there.

SrTelemaster150 03-05-2012 12:30 PM

SRT150......................thanks you. I did'nt know that we had E-85 fuel close by. Is it still 20:1 synthetic oil formula ? I'M amazed by the smooth running of the FG20 in the video. I also seems to run much cleaner, non of that black carbon stuff coming out. I'm surprised that Horizon Hobby never recommended the E-85 Ethanol sysnthetic fuel.
Can I use fuel stabilizers in the E-85 ? What is the formula of the E-85 really ?

Read my post more closely. I upped the oil content to 15:1 due to the lesser lubricating qualities of alcohol compared to gasoline. 1 quart to 3.375 gallons (15 quarts) You could achieveneraly the same ratio using 14 liters (3.68 gallons) of E-85 to 1 quart of oil or of course if you could get liters of oil, 15:1 E85:oil.

I don't think you need stabilizers in alcohol but you MUST make sure your container is air tight or the alchohol will absorb water.

Horizon doesn't recomment the E-85 as it is not widely accepted YET.

You will get more HP out of E-85 compared to gasoline but you will also have to richen up your carburater settins so you will use a littlle more.

SrTelemaster150 03-05-2012 12:51 PM

ORIGINAL: Mein Duff

SrT... I picked up a hand held temperature reader at ''Harbor Freight'' recently for about $16.-...they had larger version with pistol hand grip at about $40.-

My smaller version seems to fluctuate quite radicaly between temps....but jumps back to the higher reading as a constant.

Get what you pay for I guess...I'm sure there are better quality items out there.
I am picking up one of these for $24.99

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j3...hermometer.jpg

It will do for what I am using it for, relative temperatures for the various scenerios. I will use the 15% Glow Fuel on glow ignition for a base line.

Garthwood 03-05-2012 01:10 PM

ORIGINAL: SrTelemaster150

Read my post more closely. I upped the oil content to 15:1 due to the lesser lubricating qualities of alcohol compared to gasoline. 1 quart to 3.375 gallons (15 quarts) You could achieveneraly the same ratio using 14 liters (3.68 gallons) of E-85 to 1 quart of oil or of course if you could get liters of oil, 15:1 E85:oil.

I don't think you need stabilizers in alcohol but you MUST make sure your container is air tight or the alchohol will absorb water.

Horizon doesn't recomment the E-85 as it is not widely accepted YET.

You will get more HP out of E-85 compared to gasoline but you will also have to richen up your carburater settins so you will use a littlle more.
SRT150......from what i see in the video, the E-85 RUNS cleaner, is that right ? Other videos that i've watched i noticed black carbon.

Garthwood 03-05-2012 01:13 PM

srt150................this is probably the one the car racers use to monitor their engine. What's the normal read out for the Saitos ?

SrTelemaster150 03-05-2012 01:58 PM

SRT150......from what i see in the video, the E-85 RUNS cleaner, is that right ? Other videos that i've watched i noticed black carbon.
Yes it should burn as clean as glow fuel W/7 1/2% synthetic oil.

srt150................this is probably the one the car racers use to monitor their engine. What's the normal read out for the Saitos ?

I have never felt the need to monitor cylinder head temperatures in the past. I have no idea what the results will be.

I am going to base my findings on what the 15% Cool Power reads when using glow plug ignition & use that as a "baseline" to monitor the relative operating tempertures as well as maximum RPM & fuel consumption rate of.

1. 15% Cool Power on glow ignition
2. E85/Klotz mix on glow ignition
3. 15% Cool Power on spark ignition
4. E85/Klotz mix on spark ignition
5. E85/Klotz mix on spark ignition W/various spark advance settings.

show871 03-05-2012 07:19 PM