RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Glow Engines (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/glow-engines-114/)
-   -   Club Enya (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/glow-engines-114/3352158-club-enya.html)

tiffitech 10-09-2011 01:54 PM

RE: Club Enya

It seems, that this day was an engine test run day :-)
Read this moment that Jeffie was testing his new MDS and a TT,.
I've got an Enya 19-VI BB a week before, and an MDS38 this week.
with an big hole in the piston. It seems someone mounted a long reach plug and used a stater..
Have rebuild this one with a piston of an pretty much worn 19-V but the piston was an almost perfect fit
to the liner from the 19-VI.. :-) I'm slowly run it in, it is still not entirely free...
Before I've tested the MDS38 I've got on Ebay from UK, advertised as near new but it wasn't much like this.
It had rusty bearings and only a small rest of the pinch. Otherwise it iis ok. Got it for only 6,75 GPB.
I've cleaned it internally and mounted new bearings, it runs ok so far...

BTW: does anyone know who has still some MDS Parts?

Regards,

Holm

Recycled Flyer 10-09-2011 05:23 PM

Hi guys,
what can I expect the fins will look like from an ENYA 46 II 6002 with water cooled jacket when the jacket is removed?

Will it convert over to a normal finned aircooled engine?

Thanks.

earlwb 10-09-2011 06:24 PM

ORIGINAL: Recycled Flyer

Hi guys,
what can I expect the fins will look like from an ENYA 46 II 6002 with water cooled jacket when the jacket is removed?

Thanks.

They machine off the cylinder fins to make room for the water jacket. So you wind up with a finless cylinder section on the crankcase.
You could chuck up a chunk of aluminum in a lathe and machine up a finned jacket to replace the water cooled jacket on the engine.
Sometimes the marine cooling jacket is glued on or press fitted to the engine.

downunder 10-09-2011 06:25 PM

Hi guys,

Thanks.

Apart from stuffing up what I expect would be a pretty rare version of that engine I can only pass on a big mistake I made with a water cooled Enya 35BB. I cut off the water jacket to find that Enya shorten the cylinder fins inside the jacket and then epoxy the jacket into place.

Recycled Flyer 10-09-2011 07:02 PM

ORIGINAL: earlwb

They machine off the cylinder fins to make room for the water jacket. So you wind up with a finless cylinder section on the crankcase.
You could chuck up a chunk of aluminum in a lathe and machine up a finned jacket to replace the water cooled jacket on the engine.
Sometimes the marine cooling jacket is glued on or press fitted to the engine.

Hey Earl,
yeah, I suspected as much. So no fins it is then, and I agree - its about an hour on the lathe and your done for a slip on jacket but hardly worth the effort though.

Thanks mate (exchanges sneaky and smelly diesel handshake.)

Recycled Flyer 10-09-2011 07:03 PM

ORIGINAL: downunder

Hi guys,

Thanks.

Apart from stuffing up what I expect would be a pretty rare version of that engine I can only pass on a big mistake I made with a water cooled Enya 35BB. I cut off the water jacket to find that Enya shorten the cylinder fins inside the jacket and then epoxy the jacket into place.
Brian,
would it be possible to leave the water jacket in place and simply add a radiator under the wing Mustang style?

opol 10-09-2011 08:45 PM

where can i get a muff for my enya 120r 4st. the big block. opol

downunder 10-10-2011 06:49 AM

1 Attachment(s)

.....would it be possible to leave the water jacket in place and simply add a radiator under the wing Mustang style?
That might work if you only flew inverted so it could thermo-syphon :D. Joking aside, maybe using a fuel pump but pumping water around instead although I can see problems even with that.

Just so you know what's likely to be under that jacket, here's my mistake with the 35BB. It's not possible to machine up a sleeve because the remaining top section has the threads for the head bolts.

smithcreek 10-10-2011 08:47 AM

ORIGINAL: opol

take out the spaces and email shtterman @ aol.com . He may have them in stock.

Mr Cox 10-10-2011 08:52 AM

Have you tried running the engine as it is? I don't think missing a few fins around the cylinder is such a big deal, I believe it is the head that is the most important. I have done the same thing to an enya .19IV but haven't flown it enough to really test the influence of the missing fins.

earlwb 10-10-2011 10:25 AM

I think in this case with the .35 engine, it ought to work out just fine with only those fins in the middle missing like that. I was thinking it was missing all of them before.
You might give it a test run. I have seen other brands of engines that had very little in the way of cooling fins on them and they ran fine for their intended application.

In the case of your .35 you would have to make a clamp on two piece finned unit that bolts together around the missing fin area. But I don't think you'll need it for a airplane.

speed-panzer 10-10-2011 11:53 AM

You may have seen this water cooled airplane engine already, although its not an Enya:
http://www.mvvs.cz/docMVVS/MVVS58LCradiatorEN.pdf
http://www.mvvs.cz/mvvs%2058LC_e.html

I have not read any feedback, would be interesting.

Regards
Dominik (...loving my Enya VT240 in a 85" Gee Bee Y)

Recycled Flyer 10-10-2011 02:13 PM

ORIGINAL: downunder
That might work if you only flew inverted so it could thermo-syphon :D. Joking aside, maybe using a fuel pump but pumping water around instead although I can see problems even with that.

Just so you know what's likely to be under that jacket, here's my mistake with the 35BB. It's not possible to machine up a sleeve because the remaining top section has the threads for the head bolts.
Hi Brian,
rest asured I was joking about the water cooled aircraft thing.
Thanks for the info about your ...... mistake, I appreciate it.
P.S.
If Iwas ever likely to machine up a set of cooling fins to replace the missing ones I would make them in a similar pattern to a piston ring, one slit in the circumference, expand it slightly over the top of the barrel and then drop it into place using the natural spring of the material to hold it in place. May need a slight amount of epoxy to hold, but maybe not.

dgerhard 10-15-2011 05:23 PM

Just got an Enya 120 never run with no manual. i sent an e-mail to enya but havent got anything back. anyone know where i can get a manual for this engine?

earlwb 10-15-2011 08:46 PM

ORIGINAL: opol
You can order direct fromEnya in Japan, but I usually buy all my parts fromShtterman who sells Enya stuff on Ebay all the time.
He speciaizes in Control Line but he'll order in the engine parts and engines upon request.he is always ordering stuff from Enya and can get you a little better price as he can pool a number of orders together to save on shipping, etc.
For example: http://www.ebay.com/itm/ENYA-904C-12...item336b902f25

earlwb 10-15-2011 08:48 PM

ORIGINAL: nxconvict
Just got an Enya 120 never run with no manual. i sent an e-mail to enya but havent got anything back. anyone know where i can get a manual for this engine?
What do you need to know? We could probably answer your questions. My R155 has the 120 instruction sheet in the box as it works for the 155 too.
I think the problem is the owners manual or instruction sheet is a oddball size and doesn't scan in well at all.

Taurus Flyer 10-15-2011 11:54 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Gents.
I recently bought an Enya 120, see picture, now I am looking for an instruction manual too. Who can help me?
Because it will take some time to send the engine I am very interested in weight and dimensions for engineering activities.

Thanks in advance

Cees

rrengineer 10-16-2011 01:04 AM

Cees,
I am at work right now, but as soon as I get home in a couple of hours I will send you a PDF of the instructions for your engine. It looks like you have the pump model.
Mike MacLean

rrengineer 10-16-2011 03:40 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here you go. Included a review by Clarence Lee.

dgerhard 10-16-2011 09:25 AM

Thank you for posting the manual.

I was looking for the factory needle settings for this engine. i havent started it yet and just want to be in the area of where it needs to be.

Taurus Flyer 10-16-2011 03:20 PM

1 Attachment(s)

ORIGINAL: rrengineer

Here you go. Included a review by Clarence Lee.

Thanks very much, rrengineer.
A picture, Hanna and the Orion with the Enya 60 4 C engine.
We both love our four strokes.
Thanks again

Cees

Kostas1 10-16-2011 11:27 PM

Cees,

what propeller do you run on it and what rpm do you get;

dgerhard 10-17-2011 07:19 AM

Was looking over the enya 120 an noticed that there is an OS type F plug installed. Is this plug ok for this engine?

Thanks

tiffitech 10-17-2011 08:18 AM

Yes.

Regards,

Holm

Taurus Flyer 10-17-2011 03:04 PM

1 Attachment(s)

ORIGINAL: Kostas1

Cees,

what propeller do you run on it and what rpm do you get;
Kostas1,
I cannot help you on this moment. I didn't note the propaller values and also never did measure the RPM's.
The plane is in the workshop to finish painting after repair, modifications and covering.
I did make a note in the logbook and as soon the plane is ready I have to do research, also for the propeller, because the wings are clipped.
I will respond your post and show my observations.
A picture I did make some time ago with the engine better visible.

Cees