RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Glow Engines (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/glow-engines-114/)
-   -   Club Enya (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/glow-engines-114/3352158-club-enya.html)

Ram Jet 04-22-2012 06:09 AM

RE: Club Enya

So you like airboats. Here's one for you. I have a new Enya 1.55 4C. How large a hull would I build to accomodate this baby? I'm serious. I bought the engine because I couldn't pass it up for the price and it's a beautiful engine and , of course, I love Enyas.

Cheers,
Bill

earlwb 04-22-2012 06:11 AM

ORIGINAL: NM2K

ORIGINAL: DaveR
I was checking out an Enya 50 CX, but I don't know Enyas all that well. Is it a screamer or torquer type of engine? What use is it best suited for?
The Enya 50 CX is a screamer that will swing larger lumber if the need be, but you will be wasting its power doing so. Unfortunately, Enya dropped the AAC piston/liner of previous (smaller) CX engines and reverted to the older ABC type of piston/liner setup. Still, it is a great engine and a winner in my eyes.
Ed Cregger
AAC is pretty good, but if you have a AAC engine overheat from a lean run too much, the aluminum cylinder sleeve won't shrink back and you lose the pinch at TDC. ABC on the other hand, the brass sleeve will still try to shrink back and you get the pinch back at TDC (at least most of the time). Aluminum has that characteristic of expansion when heated, but heated beyond a certain temperature, it tends to stay expanded more after cooling off. You sometimes see the effect when someone overheated a crankcase to replace the bearings and the discover the new bearings are a bit loose now.

Anyway that is probably why the discontinued the AAC piston and liners. Also ABC cylinder/pistons seem to produce a bit more power than the AAC ones do in some engine designs. Interesting paradox.

1QwkSport2.5r 04-22-2012 06:25 AM

ORIGINAL: Ram Jet

So you like airboats. Here's one for you. I have a new Enya 1.55 4C. How large a hull would I build to accomodate this baby? I'm serious. I bought the engine because I couldn't pass it up for the price and it's a beautiful engine and , of course, I love Enyas.

Cheers,
Bill
The hull will need to be good size to accommodate the huge props that engine will turn. My big boat has an ST .90 on it using 12-13" props; the hull size is 38"x18"x3.5". I'm guessing the 1.55 will be running maybe a 16" prop? I'd plan on 40-44" length, 22-24" width, and depth/draft will depend on the weight of the engine and all of the components you will need to put on the hull to run it. My above mentioned boat is about 7.5lbs RTR, you'll want to expect 10-14lbs or so for a faster hull and 20lbs for a slow stable hull.

These are guidelines. If you want other information, I can point you to an Airboat resource that has a lot of Gasser folks building big hulls for converted weedie and chainsaw engines. Just PM me.

Tim

p.s. Here are two of my 4 airboats. All scratchbuilt by me using balsa, liteply, birch ply, and lots of epoxy. These two are both SuperTigre powered, small one is 14"x26"x2.5" and has a S.29 on it turning 9x4-9x6APC props. The big one with the S.90K is running either 12x5, 13x4W, or 13x5-6 props.
http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s...R/IMG_0097.jpg

1QwkSport2.5r 04-22-2012 06:30 AM

ORIGINAL: earlwb

I was checking out an Enya 50 CX, but I don't know Enyas all that well. Is it a screamer or torquer type of engine? What use is it best suited for?
The Enya 50 CX is a screamer that will swing larger lumber if the need be, but you will be wasting its power doing so. Unfortunately, Enya dropped the AAC piston/liner of previous (smaller) CX engines and reverted to the older ABC type of piston/liner setup. Still, it is a great engine and a winner in my eyes.
Ed Cregger
AAC is pretty good, but if you have a AAC engine overheat from a lean run too much, the aluminum cylinder sleeve won't shrink back and you lose the pinch at TDC. ABC on the other hand, the brass sleeve will still try to shrink back and you get the pinch back at TDC (at least most of the time). Aluminum has that characteristic of expansion when heated, but heated beyond a certain temperature, it tends to stay expanded more after cooling off. You sometimes see the effect when someone overheated a crankcase to replace the bearings and the discover the new bearings are a bit loose now.

Anyway that is probably why the discontinued the AAC piston and liners. Also ABC cylinder/pistons seem to produce a bit more power than the AAC ones do in some engine designs. Interesting paradox.

You know, its odd.. I've talked to a number of folks that say AAC and ABC are pretty equal in power production, whereas the ringed, bushed, and lapped engines tend to turn a few less rpm which drops power somewhat. It would make sense since a ringless engine will get a better piston seal at TDC/combustion than a typical ringed engine will. Lapped engines are kind-of on their own in that respect since they aren't a tapered bore, and aren't ringed.

I suppose it comes down to port timing, fuel, plug choice, and prop choice as the main variables influencing power production for a given engine.

Ram Jet 04-22-2012 07:10 AM

ORIGINAL: 1QwkSport2.5r

Cheers,
Bill
The hull will need to be good size to accommodate the huge props that engine will turn. My big boat has an ST .90 on it using 12-13'' props; the hull size is 38''x18''x3.5''. I'm guessing the 1.55 will be running maybe a 16'' prop? I'd plan on 40-44'' length, 22-24'' width, and depth/draft will depend on the weight of the engine and all of the components you will need to put on the hull to run it. My above mentioned boat is about 7.5lbs RTR, you'll want to expect 10-14lbs or so for a faster hull and 20lbs for a slow stable hull.

These are guidelines. If you want other information, I can point you to an Airboat resource that has a lot of Gasser folks building big hulls for converted weedie and chainsaw engines. Just PM me.

Tim

p.s. Here are two of my 4 airboats. All scratchbuilt by me using balsa, liteply, birch ply, and lots of epoxy. These two are both SuperTigre powered, small one is 14''x26''x2.5'' and has a S.29 on it turning 9x4-9x6APC props. The big one with the S.90K is running either 12x5, 13x4W, or 13x5-6 props.
http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s...R/IMG_0097.jpg
Beautiful hulls. I like the fact that you used epoxy. I've hear of guys usung CA glue on their hulls which I think is too brittle to withstand the beating a powerboat hull can take on choppy water. Since you offered I will PM you. I would like to learn more about airboats, some call them "Swamp Gliders". I was going to scale down plans from Glen-L whos sells boat plans for full scale hulls. They have a really nice airboat plan in their line. Well, better get off this boat stuff the Sky Pilots will get ticked off. PM coming.

Thank you,
Bill

1QwkSport2.5r 04-22-2012 07:44 AM

Beautiful hulls. I like the fact that you used epoxy. I've hear of guys usung CA glue on their hulls which I think is too brittle to withstand the beating a powerboat hull can take on choppy water. Since you offered I will PM you. I would like to learn more about airboats, some call them ''Swamp Gliders''. I was going to scale down plans from Glen-L whos sells boat plans for full scale hulls. They have a really nice airboat plan in their line. Well, better get off this boat stuff the Sky Pilots will get ticked off. PM coming.

Thank you,
Bill
Some call them "swamp buggies", "fan boats", "blow boats", etc. Airboats aren't speed demons, but they are fun. I've seen a custom built Hydrofoil airboat go 80mph with a Jett .90LX FIRE. 7lbs, 48" long x 24" total width. Pretty crazy.

AFAIC, this is an engine forum.. I don't see where anyone should have a "problem" with going off the airplane subject. 90% of my posts in the Glow Engines forum is related to airboating and not airplanes. I'm just now finally getting off my duff to get an airplane and get out flying.

Would the Enya 60-4C fly the Goldberg Mig-27 worth a snot? I think they run 7-9lbs RTF. I know the Sportster .65 they came with turn a 13x6 around 10,600rpm. I assume the Enya will be turning a little slower.. probably closer to 8500rpm or so? This is just a thought out-loud. I doubt the Enya 60 would have enough oomph.

ryanbrown1 04-22-2012 10:11 AM

<![if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <w:DontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument></xml><![endif]><![if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles></xml><![endif]><![if gte mso 10]><style> Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;}</style><![endif]><p class="MsoNormal">Hello All,</p><p class="MsoNormal"> I am relatively new to the hobby and have come into an old HiroboShuttle helicopter which has an Enya SS 30 engine. The engine was totally lockedup but I have managed to free it up and disassemble most of it. Are there anygood sites that sell parts for this older engine or gives repair info? I knowthat I will have to have to at least have new bearings and rings for thepiston. Is there any way to find out the specs of the two sets of bearings sothat I can explore aftermarket options? <span> </span>Anyinfo would be most appreciated.</p>

Ram Jet 04-22-2012 10:24 AM

ORIGINAL: ryanbrown1

<![if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <w:DontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument></xml><![endif]><![if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState=''false'' LatentStyleCount=''156''> </w:LatentStyles></xml><![endif]><![if gte mso 10]><style> Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:''Table Normal''; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:''''; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:''Times New Roman''; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;}</style><![endif]><p class=''MsoNormal''>Hello All,</p><p class=''MsoNormal''> I am relatively new to the hobby and have come into an old HiroboShuttle helicopter which has an Enya SS 30 engine. The engine was totally lockedup but I have managed to free it up and disassemble most of it. Are there anygood sites that sell parts for this older engine or gives repair info? I knowthat I will have to have to at least have new bearings and rings for thepiston. Is there any way to find out the specs of the two sets of bearings sothat I can explore aftermarket options? <span> </span>Anyinfo would be most appreciated.</p>

www.rcbearings.com the guys are great to work with and the prices are very reasonable. Frank Bowman for rings at [email protected]. There are no better rings anywhere in the world. You can buy them gapped by Frank or oversize and gap them yourself.

Cheers,
Bill

rrengineer 04-22-2012 10:26 AM

RCBearings.com, Bocabearings.com, Ebay or even Enyaengine.com. Email Ken Enya at [email protected], Mr Enya will be able to supply every part of that engine including an instruction sheet in PDF form. He send out the instructions via email for free. You can even get a better ring (enya rings are pretty hard and take a long time to break in) from Frank Bowman. See below:

Frank Bowman
1211 N. Allen Ave.
Farmington, N.M. 87401-3568

Email: <mailto:[email protected]>[email protected] m

Just email him with your request. I had him send me a ring for a O.S. 45FSR and it was perfect.

Good Luck.

buzzard bait 04-22-2012 01:58 PM

An Enya 30SS with rings? Well, the heli version must be different. Those SS models have had a lot of variants.

Are you sure the bearings are actually rusted and not just gunked up with old castor? If they really are, then yes, go with rcbearings.com for sure.

Jim

ryanbrown1 04-22-2012 03:16 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Im thinking they are rusted...what do you think?

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/Rv...OGcrLfcnkcKghE

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/OY...gyuoKecvIS2Z6Y

Ram Jet 04-22-2012 03:53 PM

Im thinking they are rusted...what do you think?

[img][/img]

[img][/img]

Yep, they look like paper weights to me. I enlarged your pictures and my guess is rust. You could be sure it's not old castor gunk by washing them in lacquer thinner. Replace them. RC Bearings won't hurt you a-bit ($) and it's peace of mind. You have here a good example of why it's important to use an after-run lube in your engine if you're going to store them for a-while.

Cheers,
Bill

NM2K 04-22-2012 04:52 PM

ORIGINAL: earlwb

Ed Cregger

You can't realize all the power of an Enya CX with AAC if you don't tune it for max power, unlike any other style of piston/liner engine. Learning that "just right" setting is tough, but doable. The AAC versions produce much more power than the ABC types. Ask Dubb Jett.

Ed Cregger

2walla 04-22-2012 06:11 PM

I loved my cx40 and cx50 They would scream.. I used to run the 50 an a morris profile with a 12x4 apc and it would scream..Shame they both were ruined by a batch of bad glo fuel.. I still have a 45, a couple of 35's and a 25x laying around.. They are the best you can get for longevity and good running.. Shame altech marketing screwed up their marketing back in the day..

1QwkSport2.5r 04-22-2012 06:32 PM

ORIGINAL: buzzard bait

An Enya 30SS with rings? Well, the heli version must be different. Those SS models have had a lot of variants.

Are you sure the bearings are actually rusted and not just gunked up with old castor? If they really are, then yes, go with rcbearings.com for sure.

Jim
The SS30 is a lapped iron/steel engine. The only ringed SS engine is the SS50 Heli. The 35 Heli is lapped iron/steel too I think, or AAC.

The bearing in the front housing looks like castor crud, but I cant tell about the rear bearing. The whole picture looks orange..

ryanbrown1 04-22-2012 08:38 PM

i am not sure what a lapped iron/steel or AAC engine is but my Enya SS30 BB has (well had, it broke into peices as soon as the piston was removed) a little ring around the piston just under the top of it, where rings on regular sized engines would normaly go. There was just one ring.

I have already ordered new bearings.

Ram Jet 04-22-2012 08:55 PM

i am not sure what a lapped iron/steel or AAC engine is but my Enya SS30 BB has (well had, it broke into peices as soon as the piston was removed) a little ring around the piston just under the top of it, where rings on regular sized engines would normaly go. There was just one ring.

I have already ordered new bearings.

Two cycle engines commonly only have one ring. Two cycles don't have to worry about oil control so they usually don't, if ever, have a second or third oil scraper ring. Some two cycle motorcycles use one very thin steel ring.

Cheers,
Bill

ryanbrown1 04-22-2012 09:23 PM

Thanks

buzzard bait 04-23-2012 04:10 AM

For some reason Enya really played around with the SS series, though a ringed version is a new one on me.

The old 0.45 6001 had two rings, but all the others I know of only had one.

Jim

steve111 04-23-2012 05:17 AM

SS35, SS45 and SS50 are all ringed.

buzzard bait 04-23-2012 05:26 AM

Yes, I was thinking of the .25 and .30.

1QwkSport2.5r 04-27-2012 09:22 AM

I got my Enya 60-4C in the mail yesterday.... She's quite the brute! It appears to be un-run, but its dirty and the bearings are "gritty". Someone put an Idlebar Fox glow plug in it which I will switch out for a normal glow plug. Compression is very good. I'll clean it up and open it up to see if there is any rust inside or not. The bearings have me leary, so if after looking it over I find the bearings to be sketchy, I'll order some new ones. The "muffler" doesnt look to be much of a muffler. It looks homemade from what I can tell. I doubt it will be more offensive noise-wise than any 2-stroke I have so I'll try it out as-is. If its too noisy, I'll find a muffler for it.

I'm not sure what I'll put it on just yet, I just wanted one for my collection. Its a very handsome engine. It'll keep my SS30BB company for now.

http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s...IMG_0100-3.jpg
http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s...IMG_0101-1.jpg

JPMacG 04-27-2012 09:32 AM

My 45SS and 50SS are ringed, yet I have heard others speak of a lapped 45SS. Maybe Enya produced both a ringed 45SS and a lapped 45SS?

The 50CX and 50SS are both great on a 46-sized 3D profile, like a Burrito or Mojo. I have found these engines do best if I don't back them off from the HS needle peak as much as I would back off other engines. The throttle reponse gets really good, and so far they are hodling up just fine.

Ram Jet 04-27-2012 09:38 AM

I don't have a use for my Enya 1.55 4C either and I too bought it just becaue it's beautiful. I have a stock Enya muffler on my 1.55 and .46 and they really are just "show" pipes as they are simply straight-thru cans. You won't want to muffle your 60 anyway as it makes music. Go find a video on You Tube of one running. I would suggest you use an Enya #3 plug. I've read nothing but good things about them. The muffler does look home made and it appears to be somewhat restrictive. I guess you'll know when you fire it up. RC Bearings.com will fix you right up. While you are pokeing around inside the engine you might want to consider re-reinging her with a nice set of Frank Bowman rings. Nice engine - have fun.

Cheers,
Bill

ORIGINAL: 1QwkSport2.5r

I got my Enya 60-4C in the mail yesterday.... She's quite the brute! It appears to be un-run, but its dirty and the bearings are ''gritty''. Someone put an Idlebar Fox glow plug in it which I will switch out for a normal glow plug. Compression is very good. I'll clean it up and open it up to see if there is any rust inside or not. The bearings have me leary, so if after looking it over I find the bearings to be sketchy, I'll order some new ones. The ''muffler'' doesnt look to be much of a muffler. It looks homemade from what I can tell. I doubt it will be more offensive noise-wise than any 2-stroke I have so I'll try it out as-is. If its too noisy, I'll find a muffler for it.

I'm not sure what I'll put it on just yet, I just wanted one for my collection. Its a very handsome engine. It'll keep my SS30BB company for now.

http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s...IMG_0100-3.jpg
http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s...IMG_0101-1.jpg

earlwb 04-27-2012 10:19 AM

Yeah the Enya 1.55 is a brute of a engine for sure. Here is my example still NIB:

http://i248.photobucket.com/albums/g..._engine_03.jpg

http://i248.photobucket.com/albums/g..._engine_03.jpg

http://i248.photobucket.com/albums/g..._engine_04.jpg

http://i248.photobucket.com/albums/g..._engine_01.jpg

and here is my old Enya 46 too:

http://i248.photobucket.com/albums/g..._engine_02.jpg

My old classic Enya 80:

http://i248.photobucket.com/albums/g..._engine_02.jpg

http://i248.photobucket.com/albums/g..._engine_04.jpg

and one of my Enya R1.20 engines too