RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Glow Engines (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/glow-engines-114/)
-   -   Does anyone else love Enya engines? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/glow-engines-114/3630553-does-anyone-else-love-enya-engines.html)

NM2K 12-08-2005 03:40 AM

Does anyone else love Enya engines?

I bought my first Enya engine in 1966. I was stationed at Luke AFB, in Arizona and was a firefighter in my regular duty. I worked in the base hobbyshop every other day as a part time employee. We firemen worked 24 hours and then had 24 hours off. This left a fair amount of spare time to fill. Paying for hobbies wasn't possible on our USAF salaries, so I augmented my pay by working part time.

One day, there in the base hobbyshop's display case was a beautifully machined engine, the likes of which I had never seen before. The engine resided in its own beautiful plastic case. It came with an R/C (what's that?) carb and a high compression head, in addition to the stock, low compression head that was mounted on the engine.

Being a hotrodder before joining the USAF, I was familiar with high compression mods and parts for cars. Naturally, after buying the engine, I unbolted the stock, low compression head and then bolted on the high compression head. I had a lot to learn. I mounted this seriously heavy engine on my Top Flite Nobler control line stunt model. At the field, I filled the fuel tank with Fox Missile Mist fuel (25% nitro!). That is when the learning curve got really steep!

Anyway, I have been in love with Enya engines ever since. That poor .29 R/C engine tolerated my mistake of running high nitro fuel with a high compression head in the hot Arizona sun. I wish I still had it today.

Anyone else love Enya engines?

Ed Cregger

dennis 12-08-2005 07:06 AM

RE: Does anyone else love Enya engines?

I have a lot of them about 30. Have used them since the early 50's. Still have most of them that I used in the 50's on to the present.
That Enya 35 that you owned would have taken about a month to get to the point that you liked it and about a year to the point that you loved it. Then you might put the high compression head, a #3 venturi if you had the square venturi's, and pressurize it and use 15% nitro and go fly combat with it.
Even so I've seen these motors horribly abused and like a timex they just keep on ticking,
You can get another one at a real reasonable price on the bay. Usually $25 or so will get you a really good one.
Shame that the US importer is just so uninterested in selling them.
Dennis

Hobbsy 12-08-2005 07:13 AM

My very first RC engine in 1991 was an Enya .46 MKII, I only had one problem with it and it was totally my fault, I split a rocker arm by tightening the locknut down too tight. Ham fisted farmboy syndrome rose its ugly head. I need to disassemble it and boil it in anti freeze, it's kinda uglied up with castor. Runs the same as when newly broken in. I now have a .25 Diesel, .53 TN, a .50 CXTN, a .45 SS, 1.55, and a new .60XF AAC. They are a perfect example of "beauty is in the function". As Popeye would say "me thinks dats all I gots".

downunder 12-08-2005 08:19 AM

The first Enya I bought was a model 6001 .45 to replace the Merco 35's I'd been using in CL stunt. I couldn't have made a better joice. It ran like a train, year after year, and I was often asked how come it ran as well as all the ST .46's. Beats me, I just ran it on 25% all castor :) and every couple of years I'd pull it to pieces, clean out the carbon and just keep going. When you're flying competitively you do a lot of flying!

My next one was a model 6002 .45 but they'd changed the timing to suit RC so it went into a drawer. Back to the 6001 :D until about '96 when I got an ST G51.

I've since collected a 29BB and a couple of 35's but haven't used them yet. For RC I've got a 60X III modded for very high compression and bought a second hand 80X to give to my son to help him out when he started flying. I taught him to hand start with that engine.

Enyas have always been sold here in Oz and still are so we're quite familiar with them. And love them :)

CCRC1 12-08-2005 10:13 AM

absolutely, I just wish a decent U.S. distributor would pick up the product line. Enya makes some of the best engines around but MRC-Altec only imports a fraction of whats available.

ramcharger 12-08-2005 11:52 AM

:eek:I had a Enya 50 CX I got from Bruckner Hobbies. I put in a Northeast Aviation BelAir 40. Engine was fine the plane was
so-so. It had the Enya small muffler. The engine idled great, and transitioned well and started easy. I later sold the plane and
engine. I wish I had the engine back. It didn't turn a 11x6 prop quite as fast as my Webra 50 or MVVS 49 but it was close. I flew
it perhaps 30 or 40 times so it may have not been broke in. I believe the engine was ABC.

Fuelman 12-08-2005 11:55 AM

I have always thought Enya's were "top shelf" engines.

Harry Lagman 12-08-2005 03:09 PM

Nice post Ed Cregger - and yes, I love them too.

My introduction to aero modeling was when my dad brought home a free flight kit and a 1cc Enya diesel with reed valve induction, spring start and a cool looking mesh airfilter. It only needed 6" of fuel in a fuel tube (no tank required) to get sufficient altitude in this model.

I have in front of me as I type an Enya .35 model 5224 plain bearing RC engine that will probably last forever.

A buddy has an Enya .40 model 6002 that he bought new in the mid seventies that could spin a Taipan 10x6 prop faster than an OS FSR .40 could (static - the FSR would unload much more once in the air). This engine has a Dykes ring - very impressive! He still uses this engine today.

So yes, I do have a real soft spot for Enyas...

west6008 12-08-2005 07:32 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I have an Enya 09 on a semi scale Pietenpol that spans 8 ft,
another on a Goldberg Anniversary Cub (that I removed 70% of the wood)
Both must have over 50 hrs now
They shows no signs of wear.
I bent the crankshaft once doing landings on ice,
and straightened it with 2 pairs of vice grips without
dismantling the engine.
The only problems have been with homemade mufflers leaking

downunder 12-08-2005 08:36 PM

ORIGINAL: Harry Lagman
Enya .40 model 6002
This was the only Enya to use a Dykes ring. The 45 version used a normal single ring (instead of the twin rings of the earlier model) and seeing both came out at about the same time no one can figure why they used different types of rings. I forgot I had one of the 40's.

jessiej 12-08-2005 08:47 PM

I only have two. Both older engines, both totally problem free. I have great confidence that ( if I can find the things) they would start immediately and provide great service tomorrow.

jess

donkey doctor 12-08-2005 11:32 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hello; Here's some of mine; I don't know if I could say that I love them though. I had one of them wear out the cam bushings that made it impossible to tune. I had a 120 that I sold to a local fellow, that was a good engine too. All the 90's I see seem to shake their muffler to bits. The 53 4C I had wasn.t too good either, though the new owner is quite happy with it.

I do like the 46's and the open rocker 40.

rustleruss 12-15-2005 09:47 AM

Well i was wondering about the Enya SS50 Engine didnt read anything but older engines and not much on a newer type engines i know they have the best The Boldest warranty includes 1-Year Crash Damage Protection witch no other engine gives you. During years 2 and 3 they well repair or replace any defective Enya engine with no charge for parts or labor. During years 4 and 5 they well repair or replace any defective Enya engine part with no charge for labor. This is an unparalleled five years of coverage.What more could you want in a engine yeaaaaaaaa iam sold

JPMacG 12-15-2005 12:52 PM

I have a new 50SS. Very happy with it. Powerful, easy starting, reliable, and lighter than the OS 50SX by about 2 ounces.

Only negative I can think of is that it is on the loud side. No problem for me but some clubs are more fussy than mine.

gcb 12-16-2005 08:30 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I like Enyas, although mine are older ones: Pics of .09's, .15, .19's, .29, .35, .40

George

moodier 12-16-2005 06:10 PM

Hi There;I notices on other post mention of I believe it is Steve Webb in UK that handles parts for the enya.Anybody know if he has a web site etc?Dohn't know if he is a dealer or just someone who fools with Enyas.

NM2K 12-17-2005 04:48 AM

ORIGINAL: west6008

I have an Enya 09 on a semi scale Pietenpol that spans 8 ft,
another on a Goldberg Anniversary Cub (that I removed 70% of the wood)
Both must have over 50 hrs now
They shows no signs of wear.
I bent the crankshaft once doing landings on ice,
and straightened it with 2 pairs of vice grips without
dismantling the engine.
The only problems have been with homemade mufflers leaking

----------------

Per chance, do you have any photos of the 70% lightened Goldberg Cub before it was covered? Or, if it was covered with transparent covering, photos after it was covered?

Many of us would sure love to see that airframe.

buzzard bait 12-17-2005 11:04 AM

West6008, we communicated awhile ago--you sent me a photo of your 8 ft. Pietenpol with the Enya .09--still can't believe it.

But I'm even more amazed you were able to lighten a Goldberg Cub enough to fly it with the .09! Got any pics you could post?

I'm running an Enya .09 III on my Petite Parasol but it's half the size of your planes--42 inch span, weighs 27 oz., climbs very briskly on an 8 x 4 prop. No muffler--has the butterfly restrictor on the exhaust with a link to the throttle.

Only problem is the engine is very slow to spool up when I open the throttle. I haven't quite got the knack of hot restarts with that engine either. I imagine I'd be happier with a later model--mine dates from the 1960s.

I've got a .15 IV on a Wicked Wanda, and I like it alot--it has an especially nice sound on low throttle--I think it is missing every other stroke. A heavy engine, but very powerful.

I've always thought Enyas were among the nicest looking engines. I've got OSs too, and they are good runners--the Enyas just have more charisma somehow.

Jim

west6008 12-22-2005 05:15 PM

In reply to the 70% lightened Goldberg Cub and Pietenpol

Cub

Mods before crash (powered by a .40)
-omitted struts
-redesigned landing gear to 1/8" wire, swingback, internally sprung
-omitted ailerons, substituted balsa for spruce in wing,
-made stab to scale size from basket-making reed, bamboo shichkabob sticks
-went out in the backyard with dremel and wire cutters, clawed out all the wood
I thought I could get away with, especially the bulkheads
-sanded down the rudder to 1/8" thick
Mods after crash (installed Enya 09)
-bashed out all aft bulkheads, substituted with bamboo sticks
-removed every other wing rib
-clawed out ply doublers at front of fuselage
-removed fake cylinders, painted them on
-replaced wheels with foam-filled Trexlers

While mounting the stab, I took out the positive incidence the plans called for,
I never run out out of elevator on flare-out like I did with other Goldberg models
that had positive incidence on the stab.

These mods turned the model from a cruise-missile into a Cub

The Pietenpol as you see is semi scale, very realistic slow flight
thermals well, and very durable
The Pietenpol weighs 4 lbs. and has similar "starved horse" construction.
The fuselage and tail groups are stick construction using 3/16" spruce.
The wing is open frame construction with 1/16" sheet ribs only 4" apart
all balsa except for a single spruce shear-web spar.
Its easily hand launched by holding the front left cabane strut and biffing it.
Wheels are made from childs toy.
The pilot figure is a 1/16 sheet profile to save weight and drag,
his scarf gets tattered,needs replacing every two years

da50ex 12-23-2005 02:21 AM

It sounds like you guys are just the ones I need. I'm just getting back in to flying after 21 years off and have a "brand new" Enya 60-IIIB T.V. I would sure like to use it, but I'm not quite sure about some things, maybe you can help:
Back when I flew we didn't need to use mufflers. This engine has a butterfly valve on the exaust port linked to the carb. Is there a unversal strap on muffler for this engine? should I remove the valve?Thanks,
da50ex

downunder 12-23-2005 08:03 AM

ORIGINAL: da50ex
have a "brand new" Enya 60-IIIB T.V
Errrrrrrrrrrrr....see also the Ornery Enya thread :)

west6008 12-23-2005 08:27 AM

Hi Jim,

My Enya 09's dont like hot restarts either. I found if you unscrew the
glow plug and drip in 3 drops of automatic transmission fluid, and
crank it over a half dozen times with the plug out, it seems to increase
the compression enough to make hot starts better.
I always leave a few drops of automatic transmission fluid in the engine
after a flying session, must be good for it, runs as good as ever after 5 yrs.

My Enya 09's had trouble with throttle response and reliable idle, until I
unscrewed the whole needle valve assembly, and found that I couldnt
see daylight through. After a fair bit of prodding with a fine wire, I removed
a ball of lint. Much better now, maybe I should have a fuel filter.

buzzard bait 12-23-2005 10:34 AM

West, thanks for all the info. Auto transmission fluid--interesting, and easy enough to try. I bet you're a hand flipper like me.

The idle is alright, it's just slow to respond. When I hit the throttlle the engine kind of chews it over awhile before it decides to humor me and rev up. Makes for a nice challenge on the touch and goes, because you have to give it throttle before you actually want it.

I like to build light and my planes always come out below the weight on the box or the construction article; club mates always think I'm using too small an engine in my planes, but you've set a whole new standard!

Da50ex--you'll need to take off that butterfly valve and find a strap-on. Try j-tec for a muffler--I think Tower and others have them. I also think Macs makes a strap on but it probably costs more.

Jim

AMB 12-23-2005 01:23 PM

1 Attachment(s)
This year was my first for Enya Have the CX11D and 25D (diesels) a lot of post on then on the diesel site. Also have an open rocker 40 glow 4 strk I got new from sheldons hobby. very best quality, run well no problems. I understand they are going to make a 4 strk diesel
Enya is most surely in the niche market for high quality products. the fact they are the ONLY engine maker to come out with new diesels in years is impressive, very in tune with both their glow and diesel selections I am not knocking OS have a couple of their 4 strks but as far as catering to the very few with diesels they did it OS did not. Its too bad their 06 is not around any more martin

dennis 12-23-2005 01:36 PM

ORIGINAL: dieseldan

This year was my first for Enya Have the CX11D and 25D (diesels) a lot of post on then on the diesel site. Also have an open rocker 40 glow 4 strk I got new from sheldons hobby. very best quality, run well no problems. I understand they are going to make a 4 strk diesel
Enya is most surely in the niche market for high quality products. the fact they are the ONLY engine maker to come out with new diesels in years is impressive, very in tune with both their glow and diesel selections I am not knocking OS have a couple of their 4 strks but as far as catering to the very few with diesels they did it OS did not. Its too bad their 06 is not around any more martin

Dan, the 06 is still around, these boys still carry it and can get you a diesel 06. By the way I have 3 of them.
Dennis