RCU Forums

RCU Forums (http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Glow Engines (http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/glow-engines-114/)
-   -   Are Magnum, ASP and SC engines exactly equivalent? (http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/glow-engines-114/3735243-magnum-asp-sc-engines-exactly-equivalent.html)

caesar148 01-05-2006 01:05 PM

Are Magnum, ASP and SC engines exactly equivalent?

They are made by the same company but I seem to get the impression that they are not perfectly interchangeable.

w8ye 01-05-2006 01:33 PM

RE: Are Magnum, ASP and SC engines exactly equivalent?

From my experience most of them are.

What you get into is that a certain Magnum may be ABC and the equivalent ASP will be ringed

Another is that on the Magnum XLS 52 there is a round blue head. The ASP (S) 52 has a square silver head

One more thing is that you may come across a ASP or SC that are rather old. The Magnums are relatively new. Age difference will cause some incompatibility. For example, I have a ASP 40 with a removable front bearing housing.

Enjoy,

Jim

Flyboy Dave 01-05-2006 02:08 PM

There are some differences in the carbs as well. Most of the ASP's are European
engines designed to run on 5% nitro, while the Magnums are more for the USA
using 15% nitro as standard. ;)

FBD. :D

Hobbsy 01-05-2006 04:51 PM

If I thought some of the ASPs were made in Europe I'd have one of the ones that is.

britbrat 01-05-2006 05:17 PM

Quote:

ORIGINAL: hobbsy

If I thought some of the ASPs were made in Europe I'd have one of the ones that is.

Not any more (I think). I believe that they are now made in PRC (China).

w8ye 01-05-2006 05:32 PM

In adition to SC, ASP, and Magnum, Sanye, the manufacturer near Hong Kong in China, makes the glow type Evolution engines for Horizon. They also make many of the parts for the RCV line of engines.

As for ASP engines being made in Europe, they were always made in the Orient. ASP engines were first sold by Jim Goad at Indy R/C in Indianapolis, Indiana and then by Horizon in Champaign, IL. The boxes originally said ASP international on them. The last ones I bought about 3 yrs ago from Just Engines, still said this on the box. The best I can put it together, ASP stands for Alvin So Products. Alvin So was still in the model business about 4 years ago. I met him at Toledo and he was pushing Aviastar engines with Dave Gierke. He seems very nice and speaks perfect English.

SC stood for Super Custom and were originally marketed by Perkins and are usually found in England and the former English colony countries.

Enjoy,

Jim

Flyboy Dave 01-05-2006 05:46 PM

Jim....we need to get Hobbsy a Chinese engine. :)

Dave. :D

w8ye 01-05-2006 06:34 PM

He has a old ASP up on the top shelf. He just doesn't use it or talk about it.

Enjoy,

Jim

Hobbsy 01-05-2006 10:32 PM

Yes I do, I have a 1.08 that runs real well, I keep thinking about making a Diesel out of it. Jim and I did some bartering and that's how I got it.

Yes I do, I have a 1.08 that runs real well, I keep thinking about making a Diesel out of it. Jim and I did some bartering and that's how I got it.

Hobbsy 01-05-2006 10:33 PM

Hobbsy 01-05-2006 10:33 PM

Motorboy 01-06-2006 12:12 AM

Quote:

ORIGINAL: w8ye
The best I can put it together, ASP stands for Alvin So Products.
Jim
I saw ASP first time in the catalog in 1990 and ASP stood for Acceleration, Speed, Power.. :D I has ASP 12, and it is difficult to see difference between ASP 12 and SC 12 without the enginemark at crankcase.

The smaller SC, ASP (less than 25 size) need 10-15 % nitro to give best power.

Kmot 01-06-2006 12:54 AM

Quote:

I saw ASP first time in the catalog in 1990 and ASP stood for Acceleration, Speed, Power..
Wow, that sure does ring a bell! :)

gesumeja 03-19-2006 10:06 PM

Hello All,
Was trying to get some info about my old, fairly unreliable ASP and came across this thread. Hope my info helps.

I have had recent discussions with (hopefully knowledgeable) sellers of Magnum Engines here in Australia, and it was explained to me that; Yes, ASP Engines are manufactured in the PRC and that the ASP manufacturing plant purchases the old Magnum dies, tools etc for production of their engines.

This is the reason that they tend to have similar looks, similar spares, and most of all, why the ASP seems to be too good to throw out but not good enough to rely on!

w8ye 03-19-2006 10:43 PM

ASP and SC engines were made long before the current type of Magnums (Not the PRO or GP series) were made.

The Magnum like the ASP and SC engines didn't come along until the XL (Looks like a OS SF Engine) came out.

The older Magnums like the GP and PRO series were made by Thunder Tiger

loughbd 03-20-2006 01:49 PM

Quote:

ORIGINAL: w8ye

From my experience most of them are.

What you get into is that a certain Magnum may be ABC and the equivalent ASP will be ringed

Another is that on the Magnum XLS 52 there is a round blue head. The ASP (S) 52 has a square silver head

One more thing is that you may come across a ASP or SC that are rather old. The Magnums are relatively new. Age difference will cause some incompatibility. For example, I have a ASP 40 with a removable front bearing housing.

Enjoy,

Jim
Magnums relatively new??? Hobby Shack sold their first Magnum in 1986, long before any of the other were even thought about. They were made buy the Thunder Tiger boys in Taiwan. The original Magnum Pros were copies of the OS 40 and 45 FSR's with the bolt on front end. After Paul Bender had a falling out with the owner of TT he went to the Chinese and ASP to make Magnum engines. That was in 1990. All the quality control problems started again. I worked for HShack then as an engine repair tech at the SD store.

Kostas1 03-20-2006 02:43 PM

Where SC engines are manufactures?

Iflyglow 03-20-2006 02:49 PM

In the same factory as ASP, and Magnum in China.

golden-river 03-07-2009 01:40 AM

The correct official answer:

As you know, we Shenzhen Golden-River Industrial Co., Ltd. are the point agent of ASP engine in China now, which means just we can export all of ASP engines to the worldwide now, it is a good advantage to you too, you can order ASP engine from us directly. so, we explain as following:

1.Magnum, ASP and SC engines are exactly equivalent.
Actually, they are the same. they all made by the same Chinese factory, SANYE, which is in Shenzhen, China, it is very near Hong Kong, so, if you come tp Hong kong, you can come to our company to get the engine and its parts you want.

2. the MAGNUM is a OEM brand, the SANYE factory produced engines as the request by America company in the name of MAGNUM.

3. SANYE use the rest engines, they produce more, in their own name, that is ASP.
so, ASP and MAGNUM are the same, just different in the brand and of course, the outbox is also differ. and that is why, all of the engines you get from China are all ASP, not MAGNUMA, because, MAGNUM is the sole item.

4. Pls note, all of the ASP engines you get from us are all in Chinese manual, not English manual according to our agent contract, so, you have to downland the english manual yourself.

by the way, we Shenzhen Golden-River Industrial Co., Ltd as the agent, we can suuply you all of the ASP and its parts, not MAGNUM, hehe.
Welcome to order ASP from us we Shenzhen Golden-River Industrial Co., Ltd, for details, you can check at our web site

EDIT: Link removed due to receiving following notice: "This web site has been reported as an attack site and has been blocked based on your security preferences."

Motorboy 03-07-2009 02:16 AM

Golden-river,.. i has a Kyosho 52 4 stroke engine, the engine are precise same as other 4 stroke engine to example Magnum 52 FS from Sanye. Also they are making the model engines for Kyosho company?

jeffie8696 03-07-2009 02:16 AM

Don't do it, it's a trap .

Motorboy 03-07-2009 02:21 AM

Quote:

ORIGINAL: jeffie8696

Don't do it, it's a trap .
We'll see what happens...[sm=50_50.gif]