RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Glow Engines (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/glow-engines-114/)
-   -   Enya 120 (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/glow-engines-114/3996914-enya-120-a.html)

Mike Baldwin 03-05-2006 11:20 PM

Enya 120

I picked up an Enya 120 four storke with a couple planes and motors. I was thinking of putting it in a Top Flight P51 kit that I am planning on building next winter. Has anyone have one of these motors. Does it have any problems I should know about. I don't see much about Enya any more. Did they go out of buiseness or something. The motor seems pretty new, very clean. I think it has been ran before, but I am not sure. What size tank should I use with a 120 size motor. I would guess that it gets pretty thursty.

loughbd 03-06-2006 01:25 AM

RE: Enya 120

Enya made a couple of 120's. the 120R was more powerful. Both were brute power engines. They were notorious for having a high compression ratios and would throw the prop if you over leaned them. Enya was the company that started the 4 cycle horsepower war back in the 80's. Their 120, 80, and 46 set the standard. Enya makes excellent engines both two and four cycle. prothe second most popular engine in Japan. Originally imported by MRC and now by Altech engineering. poor marketing hurts their sale but they are available. Actually great engines. Enya made a really fine 240 V twin for awhile . Fit in applications where the standard Flat twin wouldn't. Like an SE5a.

bdtsr 03-06-2006 08:27 PM

Does your have the 4C 120 raised or stamped on the side? Raised = "R" model, stamped = "standard" model. The standard model has the same size crankshaft thread as the .90 and the R model has a larger crankshaft thread. My 90 and both 1.20 engines are very good engines, but then again all my Enya's are good engines!

.15 - 30 years old!
.45X
.45CX
.60 4 cycle
.90 4 cycle
1.20R 4 cycle (2)

Wouldn't trade any of them.

Mike Baldwin 03-07-2006 09:18 PM

It's a ringed model. I did some searching on the web today and I couldn't even find a web site for Enya. Why don't I see them around any more. It looks like a high quality engine. I'm not sure what its value would be. I'm going to put it on a test stand this summer. I hope I have good luck with it.

bdtsr 03-07-2006 09:49 PM

Model Rectifier Corp. (MRC) is the distributor for Enya engines. Did you look to see about the raised or stamped lettering?

Mike Baldwin 03-07-2006 10:17 PM

It has raised letering

TimC 03-07-2006 10:48 PM

It's kind of strange that Enya is so rarely seen in the hobby shops anymore. I believe it's the only brand that I've never read anything bad about here at RCU. I'd buy one tomorrow if I didn't have to order it. I like to hold an engine in my hands and look it over before I decide.

NM2K 03-08-2006 10:36 AM

ORIGINAL: TimC

It's kind of strange that Enya is so rarely seen in the hobby shops anymore. I believe it's the only brand that I've never seen anyone say one bad thing about here at RCU. I'd buy one tomorrow if I didn't have to order it. I like to hold an engine in my hands and look it over before I decide.

------------------------------------------

Those days are nearly gone, Tim. I gave up on hobbyshops and ordered online only for many years. My latest experience at a hobbyshop pushed me right back to ordering online. I don't care about their minimum orders, etc. I want what I want when I want it. I can always return an item if I made a mistake in ordering something, as long as it is in like new condition. No hobbyshop is going to give you a refund for something you ran or partially assembled, so where is the advantage?

While there are a few good hobbyshops here and there, there hasn't been a good one local to me since the early eighties. Just about everything that I buy turns out to be an item that must be ordered anyway, so why bother?

I do my shopping at various fields by finding what I'm interested in in another modeler's model and asking him questions about it. That turns out to be much more reliable than just holding something in my hand at the local hobbyshop. Of course, the internet plays a major part in my shopping decisions.

Fuelman 03-08-2006 11:37 AM

Yes, I think it would be a great engine for your P-51. Very good running, user friendly engine. They seem to prefer no more than 10% nitro fuel, more than that they seem to get a little bit easier to toss a prop. Lots of power.

NM2K 03-08-2006 12:32 PM

The Enya R120 is a fine engine, Mike. They do not have any problems to speak of.

The only thing that I didn't care for with mine was the fixed location of the exhaust pipe manifold. It is fastened with two machine screws, so you only have two possible positions for the muffler and one of them is unusable.

Other than that, it is a beautiful engine that will last nearly forever.

Mike Baldwin 03-08-2006 10:52 PM

I glad to hear good things about it. Now a few of you have mentions it tossing the prop off. On my Magnum XL 70 it has a locknut system that hold the prop on. Would this be a good thing for the Enya. I was druling over it today cleaning some gunk out of the carb and noticed it has a chock sytem built in. Thats something I haven't seen before. Has any body used this function on this motor. I think I will pick up a gallon of 5% and try it out, when the weather gets about 50 or so.

Fuelman 03-09-2006 06:45 AM

I was refering to it wuold backfire and easily toss a prop if you got it way too lean with 15% or more nitro. I found the 10% fuel to be extremely versitale and forgiving with a nice wide needle setting and seemed to produce the most power.

PlaneKrazee 03-09-2006 08:00 AM

The choke works well. Set the throttle to idle, pull the choke, flip it with the glow off a couple times until you hear it's sniffly wet. Push in the choke rod, set the throttle to about 1/4 to 1/3 open attach the glow driver and give it a back flip. If the engine has some time on it it will start right up.

These engines like to be a little rich on the low end to give proper transition. Don't try to get the lowest idle by opening the air bleed too much. The engine will quit when you throttle up if the air bleed is too far open and the high needle is when it belongs. My 155's have the same carb and idle very well inverted with the low end a bit richer than what you may think would be good. They have excellent throttle response. The only thing I had to do was add a Cline regulator to stop siphoning (tank higher than center of carb) and install a make shift velocity stack over the intake to redirect the fuel back into the carb. (there's a good deal of valve overlap and the fuel charge wants to get blown back out of the intake manifold, at least on the 155)

The carb on the Enya four strokes is special. Fuel goes thru the main needle valve into a chamber at the end of the carb barrel. There is a machined area in the aluminum carb body that lines up with a tapered milled slot on the o.d. of the barrel along with a hole in the barrel that leads to the fuel jet. When you open the air bleed it reduces the fuel draw. I think that's how it works.

Mike Baldwin 03-09-2006 10:09 PM

It looks like a real simple carb untill you take out the barrel. I sat there looking at thinking how the heck does the fuel get to the spray bar. What you said makes sence. I think because I don't know if the engine has run much I will run it through a breakin procedure. Whould prop would you recoment for this. I purchased a Magnum 70 XL last year and was considering using the breakin procedure that they recomended. When you recomended 10 % fuel did you mean just regular 2 stroke fuel or four stroke.

Fuelman 03-10-2006 07:54 AM

Yes, regular 10% nitro two storke fuel, a castor / synthetic blend will be fine for all the Enya 4 strokes.

Ted Boz 03-13-2006 02:42 PM

The Enya 120 four stroke is a nice engine BUT can anyone out there lead me to a Pitts style muffler to fit it? Tried Slimline, jTec and Bisson with no results. Even a different header pipe with a few more degree bend might solve my installation problem. Tried Performance Specialties for those with no luck.

PlaneKrazee 03-13-2006 03:53 PM

Ted,

Which 120 are you referring to, the 120 or the R-120?

The thread of the 120 exhaust is the same as the old FS 90, M11X.75. So any custom muffler or angle adapter made for the OS 90, 91, or FT-160 engine will fit.

For the R 120, you can get a Jtec box muffler, or call Macs, they have a bolt on adapter. Enya/MRC or Sheldon's can provide a muffler on a flex connector. They are big and not cheap. I have made concealed mufflers for the R series engines that are quiet and weigh less than the Enya version with no power loss.

Ted Boz 03-15-2006 05:27 PM

Thanks! It's an R120 and the Mac folks are the only ones I didn't call. Did think about the JTec box muffler. Appreciate the info. Ted

j_keiter 05-15-2009 02:14 PM

Enya R-120 inverted in cmp hellcat with onboard glow. Large 18 oz fuel tank. Yes I had muffler pressure. Tried to run recommended props but could not get reliable idle or smooth top end. Finally ended up with a big heavy Dynathrust 15x8 propellor and perry fuel pump. Ran fairly well but I was very concerned with it overheating due to large prop. Never seemed to. Flew perhaps 3 hours on it before one day it just died on take off and destroyed the plane. I should not of flown as I noticed I lost sensitivity in the main needle. I checked pressure line and perry pump. They appeared fine. I did use medium size fuel line. Yes I checked valves and notch alignment on pushrod gears. Checked all O-Rings for leaks. Any thought would be appreciated.

Ram Jet 05-15-2009 10:25 PM

1 Attachment(s)

ORIGINAL: j_keiter

Enya R-120 inverted in cmp hellcat with onboard glow. Large 18 oz fuel tank. Yes I had muffler pressure. Tried to run recommended props but could not get reliable idle or smooth top end. Finally ended up with a big heavy Dynathrust 15x8 propellor and perry fuel pump. Ran fairly well but I was very concerned with it overheating due to large prop. Never seemed to. Flew perhaps 3 hours on it before one day it just died on take off and destroyed the plane. I should not of flown as I noticed I lost sensitivity in the main needle. I checked pressure line and perry pump. They appeared fine. I did use medium size fuel line. Yes I checked valves and notch alignment on pushrod gears. Checked all O-Rings for leaks. Any thought would be appreciated.
I know Hobbsy and w8ye can help you as I think you had a carb adjustment problem. Top Flight recommends a 14 x 6 to 16 x 6 prop for the 1.20.I would start with the low end and work up. Here's an attachment for inspiration on your rebuild.

Chin up and keep em' flyin',
Bill

LaCerne 05-16-2009 07:03 AM

Loss of needle sensitivity, probably indicates debris in the carb, maybe the spray-bar area, or fuel nipple. 

PlaneKrazee 05-16-2009 04:55 PM

ORIGINAL: LaCerne

Loss of needlesensitivity, probably indicates debris in the carb, maybe thespray-bararea, or fuel nipple.
I agree.

BUCKSHOTRC 06-12-2009 06:49 PM

SO WHAT SIZE CRANK THREAD DOES A 120 R HAVE ? I NEED A P-47 TYPE PROP NUT
AND OH YEAH -"I LOVE THE ENYA ON A WARBIRD"TORQUE OUT THE WAZOO AND SOUNDS LIKE A WARBIRD

LaCerne 06-12-2009 09:23 PM

<span style="font-family: Verdana, Arial; font-size: 13px; -webkit-border-horizontal-spacing: 1px; -webkit-border-vertical-spacing: 1px; ">SO WHAT SIZE CRANK THREAD DOES A 120 R HAVE ? I NEED A P-47 TYPE PROP NUT
AND OH YEAH -"I LOVE THE ENYA ON A WARBIRD"TORQUE OUT THE WAZOO AND SOUNDS LIKE A WARBIRD
<span style="font: normal normal normal 12px/normal Arial; color: rgb(36, 36, 36); " class="info"></span>
</span><div><font size="3" face="Verdana, Arial"><span style="font-size: 13px; -webkit-border-horizontal-spacing: 1px; -webkit-border-vertical-spacing: 1px;">
</span></font></div><div><font size="3" face="Verdana, Arial"><span style="font-size: 13px; -webkit-border-horizontal-spacing: 1px; -webkit-border-vertical-spacing: 1px;">
</span></font></div><div><font size="3" face="Verdana, Arial"><span style="font-size: 13px; -webkit-border-horizontal-spacing: 1px; -webkit-border-vertical-spacing: 1px;">8mm X 1.0</span></font></div>

BUCKSHOTRC 06-13-2009 06:51 AM

I SEE STUFF IN 7MM &amp; 8MM X 1.25..........?