RCU Forums

RCU Forums (http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Glow Engines (http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/glow-engines-114/)
-   -   PSPMFG: Kudos to this Company!! (http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/glow-engines-114/4806308-pspmfg-kudos-company.html)

retnavycdr 09-29-2006 12:44 AM

PSPMFG: Kudos to this Company!!

You see plenty of gripes and complaints on these forums about manufacturers, but rarely kudos. I would like to publically state how great it was to deal with PSPMFG of Ossian, Indiana, especially John. Several years ago I purchased one of their metal engine test stands, and it turned out to be the safest, sturdiest, best test stand I ever owned in 50 years in this hobby. I also bought the optional solid back mount for my larger gasoline engines. Anyway, after years of use, and hundreds and hundreds of hours of heavy use, some of the bolts and parts wore out. I ordered a new stand last week and to my surprise John also sent some parts to use on the old stand, NO CHARGE, without my even asking for them. This is outstanding customer support, and I will obviously continue to be a VERY happy customer. I also wanted everyone on RCU to know that their products are the best in the business, as well as their support. Way to go, PSPMFG!!!!

Hobbsy 09-29-2006 06:11 AM

RE: PSPMFG: Kudos to this Company!!

I concur, I have the test stand and a couple of their fuel jug caps, high quality all. My next purchase from them will be the universal mounting plate and a couple more Fuel Jug caps.

jlkonn 09-29-2006 06:27 AM

I'll second that as well.
They are great to deal with and everything I have ever bought from them has been 1st Class!
JLK

Deadeye 09-29-2006 09:53 AM

My PSPMFG test stand is one solid piece of equipment. Worth every penny!

doubledee 09-29-2006 10:00 AM

Maybe someone ought to post a phone number and website address so the rest of us can get in on all the great products and service.

Regards,
doubledee

Deadeye 09-29-2006 10:12 AM

[link=http://www.pspmfg.com/EngineTestStand.html]Here ya go[/link]

Kmot 09-29-2006 12:38 PM

I concur 110%

I purchased a PSP engine stand a couple years ago. When I purchased an RCV .91CD engine I attempted to mount it and it would not work due to the peculiar arrangement of the RCV. I went to PSP's website to get contact info to ask them about my problem. I then saw that they had upgraded the engine mount to accomodate RCV engines. I placed an order for the parts and gave my CC number. They replied that since I was a registered customer they would send me the parts for free. And they did!

retnavycdr 09-29-2006 12:46 PM

KMOT: Isn't this the way you wish ALL RC companies, especially the BIG ones did business? BTW, I notice you live in Northridge, Ca. I was at CSUN in the early 1970's, and lived in Simi Valley while stationed at Point Mugu NAS. Not much RC activity then, mostly slope soaring.

VictoryRoll 01-02-2013 11:35 AM

What do you folks mount your PSPmfg. Engine Test Stand to?<div>
</div><div>I just ordered one and am looking forward to breaking in my new Saito FA-100 GK, as well as a Syssa 30cc on it.   I am wondering, however what would be a good (non-permanent) mounting object to mount the ETS onto, and be safe.</div><div>
</div><div>I know they have a post available online but @ $99.00, it is a bit steep, esp. when considering the investment of the ETS itself.</div><div>
</div><div>Thank you in advance,</div><div>
</div><div>Don</div>

Deadeye 01-02-2013 11:45 AM

I mounted mine to a cheap table saw stand with a 3/4 inch piece of particle board screwed to the table. I used two 50 pound bags of sand to weigh it down so it doesn't vibrate all over the place.

Hobbsy 01-02-2013 12:15 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is mine mounted to three .5x6x30 inch oak boards laminated together with 45 minute epoxy. The PSP is mounted to the center board using a B&B Vibra Loc syste I bolt the board to a stand I built that has two 50 lb cement block in it.

landeck 01-02-2013 01:32 PM

Mine is mounted to an old two inch thick maple butcher block which is then mounted to an old steel Back & Decker Workmate. For engines of .91 displacement and above I add weights as necessary. Works great.

Bruce

MJD 01-02-2013 01:50 PM

Mine is bolted to a 1-1/4" thick epoxy finished plywood base plate, about 16" x 20" or so (I forget) that I clamp to whereever - typically the aluminum bleachers in the community center field behind us. I've even mounted a Wren44 turbine to it .. you can flip the standoffs around 180 degrees to get more spacing, I clamped two 1/8" ply tabs under the engine bearer clamps and the engine to that.

Great test stand, I fiddled around with one-off mounts for years before plunking down the cash for the PSP test stand, and have been glad I did ever since. A good engine stand should be part of any model airplane geek's toolkit! :)

Next step, unbeknownst to my wife, is to sink a pedestal in the back yard for the test stand.

VictoryRoll 01-02-2013 04:45 PM

Thanks guys!   I really appreciate your suggestions/installation solutions.<div>
</div><div>I have a B&amp;D Workmate as well, that I used with my lesser quality wooden ETS, but I have grown out of it as it does not really give me the confidence to strap a 30cc (18 hp) Syssa to it.   The PSP mfg product is really the cream of the top.   I just don't want to do something that I will regret (re: prop stuck in my belly of going through my thick skull, lol !</div><div>
</div><div>I was also thinking a saw stand, or saw horse, but adding the additional weight in the back-end my require some more additions to provide a rock-solid unit.</div><div>
</div><div>Any and all suggestions are truly appreciated.!!!</div><div>
</div><div>Thanks again!</div><div>
</div><div>Don</div>

Iflyglow 01-07-2013 08:10 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is my arrangement to test new power set ups.:D I machined some brackets to actually bolt to to the 2 existing tapped holes in the psp stand.:D

VictoryRoll 01-08-2013 07:44 AM

@Iflyglow:  That is a beautiful stand!    You should mfr. and sell on RCU, my friend.  I would imagine a few us us would be interested at the right price!<div>
</div><div>Very nice work... just like PSPMfg, quality workmanship throughout.</div><div>
</div><div>Thanks for the pics, great job!</div><div>
</div><div>Don</div><div>(formerly fishingships)</div>

Iflyglow 01-08-2013 08:00 AM

My canister mount attaches to the psp mount using the two 1/4-20 tapped holes towards the rear of the mount that are not used for anything. I have enough adjustability to run many different engines and not tick off my neighbors.

Iflyglow 01-08-2013 08:02 AM

Double post

Iflyglow 01-08-2013 08:30 AM

delete

VictoryRoll 01-10-2013 10:21 AM

Hi Bruce,

I am going to go same route with the stell Workmate that I own (we probably bought them about the same time, as I hear they do not make the Workmate in the heavy gage steel anymore.... so much for progress)

Anyway, Can you take a few minutes and explain your mounting of the ETS and maple wood to the Workmate, to give me a better idea of your method. As I mentioned, I have done this for my smaller engines with a smaller (wood) ETS, but now that I am moving up to larger bore engines and gassers,. Previously, the wood ETS was screwed down onto an 2X8 pice of lumber, and that was held to the Workmate via both it's built in vise, as well as (4) large, heavy-duty c-clamps.
I just want to be as methodical and mindful as possible in the construction/assembly of the stand.

Thank in advance,

Don

landeck 01-10-2013 11:04 AM

Quote:

ORIGINAL: VictoryRoll

Hi Bruce,

I am going to go same route with the stell Workmate that I own (we probably bought them about the same time, as I hear they do not make the Workmate in the heavy gage steel anymore.... so much for progress)

Anyway, Can you take a few minutes and explain your mounting of the ETS and maple wood to the Workmate, to give me a better idea of your method. As I mentioned, I have done this for my smaller engines with a smaller (wood) ETS, but now that I am moving up to larger bore engines and gassers,. Previously, the wood ETS was screwed down onto an 2X8 pice of lumber, and that was held to the Workmate via both it's built in vise, as well as (4) large, heavy-duty c-clamps.
I just want to be as methodical and mindful as possible in the construction/assembly of the stand.

Thank in advance,

Don

Don, the butcher block has a 1x2 screwed on to the bottom which the B&D Workmate clamps on to. Then I have two wood dowls which are in holes in the top of the Workmate and they prevent the block from moving forward. As added clamping I havve two large C-clamps holding the butcher block to the workmate. It works great.

Bruce