RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Glow Engines (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/glow-engines-114/)
-   -   ASP/MAGNUM FS400AR Rebuild/Overhaul (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/glow-engines-114/6767296-asp-magnum-fs400ar-rebuild-overhaul.html)

retransit 10-11-2012 06:39 AM

RE: ASP/MAGNUM FS400AR Rebuild/Overhaul

ORIGINAL: Kmot

Yes Bob I did. [8D]

I had thought about how I should do it, but decided to poll the forums and fortunately it was pointed out to me that I was wrong in my assumptions. [&:]

Once I was straight on what to do it was easy. For my run, I mixed 16 oz of Powermaster 15% nitro, 18% oil fuel with 25 oz of pure methanol. This gave me a blend of about 6% nitro and 7% oil.

Video is finished. Just need to get it uploaded, and figure out the best way to get the article I wrote in PDF format, converted for forum use.
Tom, isn't there a concern about adequate oil? We are, in effect, running five .80 four strokes on a common crankshaft. I know larger displacement engines require less oil content, but this engine should be considered a moderate in size as compared to a single 1.80. Is my thinking flawed?

By the way, I have a fuel mix chart in Excel for mixing ingredients. If anyone needs it, PM me.

Bob

Carosel43 10-11-2012 06:39 AM

I have the same issue with the esm sea fury (if it ever arrives) as i need to loose 30mm somewhere. As for the D9 you will have to get a video of it! assuming the planets align i may finally get to test fly my P39 this weekend :O

Carosel43 10-11-2012 06:42 AM

the oil requirement for the rings is tiny, and as most of the engine is ball raced i dont think running low oil is a problem. laser engines have been run as low as 5% oil by some customers but there were some seizures on the big end. The big ends on the radial are doing less work as they are not rotating sop should be ok. Also with 5 cylinders feeding one crankcase im sure it wil be ok, especially if the breather nipple is blocked off

Reverend 10-11-2012 06:58 AM

ORIGINAL: Carosel43

I have the same issue with the esm sea fury (if it ever arrives) as i need to loose 30mm somewhere. As for the D9 you will have to get a video of it! assuming the planets align i may finally get to test fly my P39 this weekend :O
I actually have a video of it. just need to edit it :)

holding my thumbs for your P-39

FWIW I just found another plane perfect vor the FS400AR...

http://letadla.grapo.cz/

Me likey. Me write email... :D

SrTelemaster150 10-11-2012 07:09 AM

ORIGINAL: Reverend

ORIGINAL: Carosel43

I actually have a video of it. just need to edit it :)

holding my thumbs for your P-39

FWIW I just found another plane perfect vor the FS400AR...

http://letadla.grapo.cz/

Me likey. Me write email... :D

I saw a full scale one of those fly @ Old Rhinebeck Aerodrome back around 1998.

It was built from original drawings W/an original rotary engine complete W/the ignition sequencing engine power control.

This isn't that particular Aeroplane, but it sounds just like the one we saw fly that day.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L0-LXM8acEQ[/youtube]

retransit 10-11-2012 08:32 AM

Not to get off topic, but this should warm your hearts:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_AchBjjVSM&feature=player_embedded#!

Bob

Kmot 10-11-2012 09:12 AM

Check out my review of the Rogeau Intake Manifold for the FS400 engines! :)

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_11259030/tm.htm

retransit 10-11-2012 10:04 AM

Tom, do you have any idea as to the cost of the manifold?

Bob

Kmot 10-11-2012 11:07 AM

I am not certain what the current pricing is, best to contact Olivier for the price and shipping details.

SrTelemaster150 10-11-2012 11:17 AM

I am not certain what the current pricing is, best to contact Olivier for the price and shipping details.

Did you see any power loss/gains from the manifold?

Reverend 10-11-2012 12:06 PM

tom,
great review. just a little dissapointed that you dont have any numbers (rpm, fuel consumption, etc...) in it. You did change a LOT after all. new intake, new fuel, ...

Rev

Carosel43 10-11-2012 02:29 PM

Im loving the WW1 stuff, especially the hilarious noises!:P as for the P39 i was working on it just now and shes ready for engine tests tomorrow. I had to track down a fault in the radio (a cheap inline servo reverser) and had the big job of tidying up all the wires and pipes! if all goes well with the ground runsi hope to fly saturday morning.

Kmot 10-11-2012 03:03 PM

Did you see any power loss/gains from the manifold?
Well, I did not compare apples to apples. Last time I ran the engine I used an 18x8 prop. This time I used a 20x10 prop.

a little dissapointed that you dont have any numbers (rpm, fuel consumption, etc...) in it. You did change a LOT after all. new intake, new fuel, ...
Yeah, I suppose I did change a lot. One part, lol. :)

And actually running less nitro, about 6% versus 15%.

My purpose was to see if the engine would grenade on 7% oil fuel. And it did not. It ran happy. This further proves the concept, and what Olivier Rogeau already has said it will do. Run well using less oil. Keeps your airplane cleaner, which I can now vouch for, and by studying the way it works I can certainly see how it lubricates the rotating mass far, far better than the stock design manifold.

I will do further testing in the future, for my own curiosity. In the mean time, I imagine Mr. Rogeau has all the answers to questions like yours since he did tons of development and testing with it, and has installed several on customers engines. I strongly recommend you contact him for more information. He is a very nice man, very friendly and easy to talk too. :)

[email protected]

Carosel43 10-12-2012 01:27 AM

Hey guys, I know this is a radial thread, and i dont know if this link will work, but... its Merlin time!

http://www.facebook.com/#!/photo.php?v=478031088885517

Reverend 10-12-2012 02:33 AM

Yeah, I suppose I did change a lot. One part, lol. :)

Ok, I meant to say you chaged a lot on the intake. completely different way the air/fuel mixture has to take, more turbulence in the crankcase instead of the direct canal to the cylinder, more fuel loss due to the stuff that stays in the crank case, different fuel, ...

If you concider how much 1/8th on the low speed needle can change the running characteristics of an engine I am sure these changes will effect it too.

Rev

Carosel43 10-12-2012 11:34 AM

Ok guys, i got the cobra going. As stated in the video description i have a few issues but nothing to major. You dont have to watch the whole video as i spend most of the time playing with the low end (still not right, i think the tank position is the issue).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mS-F9...ature=youtu.be

Kmot 10-12-2012 12:45 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Hey guys, I know this is a radial thread, and i dont know if this link will work, but... its Merlin time!
Oh, that sounded lovely!! :D

Ok, I meant to say you chaged a lot on the intake. completely different way the air/fuel mixture has to take, more turbulence in the crankcase instead of the direct canal to the cylinder, more fuel loss due to the stuff that stays in the crank case, different fuel, ...
I dunno Phillip. Olivier claims better fuel economy. I noticed my engine ran just as long on the 20 ounce tank as it did before. After the run, I removed the plug from the breather/drain nipple and recovered all the fluid left inside the engine. It amounted to 1cc of oil. I am not an authority on this new intake manifold, I only tested it to see if it works. And it does. :)

Like I said earlier, contact Olivier for more in-depth details.

SrTelemaster150 10-12-2012 01:32 PM

I dunno Phillip. Olivier claims better fuel economy. I noticed my engine ran just as long on the 20 ounce tank as it did before. After the run, I removed the plug from the breather/drain nipple and recovered all the fluid left inside the engine. It amounted to 1cc of oil. I am not an authority on this new intake manifold, I only tested it to see if it works. And it does. :)

Like I said earlier, contact Olivier for more in-depth details.

I wonder how on outlet check valve would work to drain the oil?

Just run a tube to convenient location & let it drain on it's own. after the engine is shut down.

Kmot 10-12-2012 02:57 PM

Are there check valves that small? Oh wait, you mean run a tube from the nipple to a check valve located inside the cowling, and then drain from there. In that case a larger check valve would be fine. I don't know of any check valve that would screw in, in place of the nipple. Is there one?

Kmot 10-13-2012 08:24 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Framed 16x20 picture on the wall. :D

Reverend 10-14-2012 03:54 AM

Gentlemen, new numbers and a confession...

Went to the field just for some engine runs with the 450 and the 400

My new Fuel: Rapicon 10% Nitro, 18% Oil

FS400AR
20X8 Menz S @ 6450 Noisy and not impressed.
20X8 APC @ 7320(!) thats 3.6bhp and I measured 24lb of thrust.
20X10 APC @ 7020(!!!) thats a whopping 4bhp and 22lb of thrust.

dont forget, I fly @ 2000ft so the air is a bit thinner than on your beautiful isle carousel :D

I am putting this baby into my SiSt Focke Wulf.

The confession? I am beginning to like nitro... did the check with my old fuel, BIG difference. Back to the old numbers @300rpm less.

Reverend 10-14-2012 03:55 AM

looks great! I am getting one of my stearman in XXL form my workshop :-)

SrTelemaster150 10-14-2012 04:41 AM

Are there check valves that small? Oh wait, you mean run a tube from the nipple to a check valve located inside the cowling, and then drain from there. In that case a larger check valve would be fine. I don't know of any check valve that would screw in, in place of the nipple. Is there one?
http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j3...pse66338c7.jpg

5mm X .8 thread, same as the standard breather nipple on a saito, not sure about ASP threads.

SrTelemaster150 10-14-2012 04:47 AM

:D I have several framed PIX of my 2006 Charger taken @ drag strips W/camears tripped by the timing lights They get a shot of the car from a low frontal angle @ the precise moment that the car comes out of the hole. You get to preview the PIX & select ones that you want enlarged.

My wife keeps putting them "away".

Kmot 10-14-2012 08:26 AM

Those are impressive numbers Rev! There's no doubt APC props make thrust. That is why they seem to be the most popular prop in use worldwide.

Dan, I like that little check valve! But in further thinking I realize it would not be appropriate for use on the FS400 with the RIM manifold as the crankcase needs to be closed during operation.