RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Glow Engines (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/glow-engines-114/)
-   -   Simple On-Board glow (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/glow-engines-114/8973664-simple-board-glow.html)

jstanton 07-29-2009 11:06 AM

Simple On-Board glow

I was looking at trying a On-Borad glow for my ST-90K I have. It is a good running engine, but every once is a while I get a dead stick and I have not been able to figure it out. I was told an on-board glow would correct this problem so I went the my LHS and found out they run for $60.00 to $75.00. All I wanted to do was add 1.2v to the glow plug not buy another engine. [:@] So I went to the internet and here is what I found.;)

http://www.geistware.com/rcmodeling/...low_system.htm

This system is just what I was looking for and the cost is really around $9.00 total not $3.00 like is says in the article. I went to radio Shack and picked up the parts and I hope to give it a try this weekend. I'll let you all know how it works.:eek: I do not believe it will burn out the glow plug becasue we are using a 1.2v C cell battery to power the plug. I also have added a 1.2v LED to the circuit.;)

JNorton 07-29-2009 11:20 AM

RE: Simple On-Board glow

It works fine with a NiCad C cell. No problems.

I also made one using the throttle servo with round wheel. I put a notch cutout and a small roller switch riding the edge of the servo wheel. If you mount the whole assembly on a small piece of ply it is easy to get every mechanically solid. When the throttle was low the switch turns on powering the glow plug.

John

jstanton 07-29-2009 12:52 PM

John,

That sounds like a nice setup. I'll give it a try once I test my on-bouard setup.;)

estradajae 07-29-2009 05:23 PM

You should try to find out what is the problem with your setup, tunning or fuel, under normal conditions when the engines are correct and everything works properly, you don't need an onboard glow driver...and you don't have to buy it extra, and you don't get the extra fuel etc....

Tell us more about the engine, your setup, fuel prop, glow plug etc..

Saludos,

Jorge

the Wasp 07-29-2009 06:23 PM

A) I agree with "estradajae",, there is a reason for your Flameouts, and it could be as simple as to small a prop, I have helped a few guys with tuning problems by simply telling them they have to small a prop, a light wood 9x6 is just to small for a 61, it gives little Flywheel Effect,,

B), but if your problem accrues because you tune/and like a blabbering rich Low-End then so-be-it, instead of all that junk adding weight you could simply use a Glow Plug with an Idle Bar..

Jim

JNorton 07-29-2009 07:08 PM

Sometimes it's just fun to play seeing how low you can get a reliable idle. In my case I was just having fun and needed the nose weight anyway. Jezz lightnen up!

John

gluemaster 07-29-2009 07:29 PM

I've been thinking about installing on board glow setup using a micro switch and a c size nicad. I don't know when I'll get around to it but I think it would be cool to turn on the plane and at an idle setting to just flip the prop to get it going.

captinjohn 07-29-2009 08:06 PM

I agree with the 2 guys that said ...just find the problem...no sense in adding weight. Have you tried Hot 4 cycle glow plugs? Best Regards Capt,n

Ken6PPC 07-29-2009 08:12 PM

Well, I DISagree. While I do agree that there is no reason to add unnecessary weight to some planes, sometimes you NEED the weight in the nose anyway. I needed nose weight in a couple of my war birds anyway, so it seemed much more sensible to me to add some weight with something that actually IMPROVED the useability of my models.

I really LIKE my on-board glow systems! Don't forget that some situations call for other solutions than the ones that may be ideal for you, personally!

jstanton 07-30-2009 05:44 PM

I thank you all for you comments. :DI know a hot 4 cycle plug might cure my little problem, but I do need to add some more nose weight to my pusher jet. I do not like adding weight unless I can use it for something extra than just the weight. Since I have the little dead stick problem at times I thought I might try a on-board glow[:@].

I did built this simple C cell on-board system and I can say it works better than I was hoping for. My ST-90K idles at 2000RPM and I am hitting 12000RPM with MAS 12x6 3 blade prop. I know the glow is on threw the hole flight. I ran 3 tanks of fuel today on the engine with no dead sticks and the best idle this engine has ever had. The total cost of the simple on-board glow was $6.28. I am looking into getting a C cell nimh so I can recharge the battery. It looks like I can get 8 to 10 flights with a C cell akaline battery.:D

This was a checp and simple fix. If I used a hot 4 cycle plug it would cost about the same;)

jimmyjames213 07-31-2009 12:10 AM

http://www.all-battery.com/ni-mhbatteries.aspx
pick a sub c or C and have at it.
cheap and good battery's
could pick up a few to switch them out when they are low.
btw you could buy some 6v packs to save on the shipping, while your at it.

JNorton 07-31-2009 07:31 AM

ORIGINAL: jstanton

It looks like I can get 8 to 10 flights with a C cell akaline battery.:D

This was a checp and simple fix. If I used a hot 4 cycle plug it would cost about the same;)
I did not notice any decrease in glow plug life, but I only used it for about a month so take that statement for what it is worth! :)
John

jstanton 07-31-2009 08:14 AM

ORIGINAL: JNorton

ORIGINAL: jstanton

It looks like I can get 8 to 10 flights with a C cell akaline battery.:D

I did not notice any decrease in glow plug life, but I only used it for about a month so take that statement for what it is worth! :)
John
John,

Thanks for letting me know how it worked for you. I am going to try using is for a while and see how long is last. So far I have gone threw 3 tanks of fuel with the same OS 3 glow plug.;)