Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC Want to discuss some of those from the golden age, vintage rc planes or even an old classic antique vintage rc planes, radios, engines, etc? This is the place for you. Enjoy!

Sterling Models

Old 09-03-2003, 01:44 PM
Barcandson
My Feedback: (20)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Sterling Models

I have picked up about 15 or 20 of these over the years off eBay, etc. I have 2 or 3 Stearmans, which seem fairly plentiful, and might build one of those. The others I would keep as kits. Has anyone been talking to kit cutter people who might duplicate the kits so we can build up the models without losing the original kits?
Old 09-03-2003, 02:26 PM
Mike Taylor
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Sterling Models

Why don't you send this question to Dave at DPCModels (DPCMODELS@aol.com) and tell him Mike Taylor referred you. He does very nice work, and also has an interest in classic kits.
Old 09-03-2003, 04:35 PM
Barcandson

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Sterling Models

Good idea. I'll give Dave a shot. I'll re-post whatever I find out.
Old 09-04-2003, 08:53 PM
Barcandson

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Cloning

I traded messages with Dave at DPCMODELS. He will give me a quote on cloning a Sterling Tri-Pacer. I'll report back what the results are. He has some very nice WWI models for sale.
Old 09-05-2003, 12:54 PM
CoosBayLumber

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Sterling Models

The Sterling Tri-pacer and the Stearman are but a couple of old kits which had the wood parts reproduced better than a year ago. You need to follow up on old posts.

Wm.
Old 09-10-2003, 07:01 PM
RC_Fanatic

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Sterling Models

Anyone interested in a NIB Sterling Schweizer SGS 1-34? If so, PM me.
Old 09-19-2003, 01:53 PM
Sport_Pilot

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I don't buy that excuse. If they wanted to produce any of the kits they can. In fact not having the die's is a plus. Apparently they weren't very good tooling to begin with. All they need is a drawing, run it through a blueprint scanner, convert from raster to vector and you have a computer CAD drawing. Lift the approprate parts of the drawings and you can laser cut them. Even if they didn't get drawings they could do what Top Flight did before they produced the Nobler and Flight Streak ARF's, ask modelers to send them copies of their drawings. Apparently Estes doesn't want to produce anything larger than a 42" wing span. Maybe they don't think there is a market, or do not feel comfortable with larger R/C models.
Old 09-19-2003, 08:05 PM
CoosBayLumber

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I think Sport Pilot is expressing little real world reasoning. Most of the old kit plans I have, including Sterling, do not have the whole of the parts shown. The parts are referred to in the instructions, are shown in profile, but the configuration or thickness to the parts is often not shown, nor known simply be owning a set of plans.

When the plans indicate to insert part F-2, F-3, F-4, at certain locations they seldom tell you what they look like lying flat. If you look at the actual die-cut sheet and read the part number, then the part can be identifyed as to shape. If the plan does not have a topview, how wide is the fuselage? I have done thousands of parts for lazer cutting and just having the plans does not mean you have a knowledge as to the exact shape.

Plans can be scanned and inserted into CAD, but the linework via scanning is far from perfect or reproducible. The modern machines like the OCE'9500 can scan and print out the plan, but upon close magnification of each line while in CAD, you will see the makeup is a series of very small line segments which once copied, link together and become something resembling a line. Thus, and archive of the plan can be made, but not the whole kit.

Wm.
Old 09-22-2003, 04:05 AM
cometravi

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hi guys I have a Sterling models Wizard Bipe (Check thread Vintage Bipe). Which class does it qualify under or does it qualify at all? If it does, i can share some plans and photos of the same..
Actually i test flew it yesterday with not so good results.But i'm sure its the set up and not the plane thats is to blame!! Its on the other thread mentioned above, in this forum itself.
Old 09-23-2003, 01:50 PM
Sport_Pilot

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

CoosBayLumber,
Yeah there are problems with converting the drawings, it just takes some old fashioned work. I am assuming they have a better description of parts lists, including some blueprints of die cuttings. But if they don't have those all they have to do is buy a kit off of E-Bay. Or if they don't want to do any work just talk to some industrious Chinamen. I am sure they could find a kit and copy it, and produce an ARF that may or may not be close to it.

Believe it or not the latter is just what Top Flight did to make the current Nobler and Flight Streak ARFS. Just got copies of drawings from users, and I hear they sent some completed models to them.
Old 09-24-2003, 04:34 PM
Mike Denest

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Cometravi,
The Wizard is classed as Vintage in the VR/CS guidelines. Use the link below to see the information.
Old 09-27-2003, 10:48 PM
big max 1935
My Feedback: (9)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Have a Sterling FS 5, PT-19 & a FS 36, Corsair . Both NIB , E-mail me if interested? MAX H. P.S. Will trade for old ignition & glow engines
Old 10-14-2003, 08:14 AM
ccrebidoux
My Feedback: (3)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hi Guys,

I recently acquired a Sterling kit, the Stintson Reliant. After going through the kit, I have all the parts but the fuselage pieces [:@] would anyone know where I could get these pieces or could somebody scan their parts and i could cut my own??? I've never built a Sterling kit, but the Stintson really interests me. PM me Please.

Chris
Old 10-15-2003, 02:53 PM
Wulf
My Feedback: (5)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Anyone out there fly old Sterling Planes?
I just finished a Tri-Pacer from an old kit .I built it with 5 servos including 2 on ailerons.throttle and rudder steering type nose wheel and of course elevator..I have a OS .26 -4 stroke in it and just got thru ground testing engine runup.Engine seems to have enough power.I`m just wondering if anyone has flown one and what the flight characteristics are like.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki18546.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	19.6 KB
ID:	67873  
Old 10-15-2003, 04:21 PM
gllarrabee

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I just acquired a Sterling Max Hester's P-63 King Cobra. It is R/C or can be built as C/L.
It has 70" wing span. I am a rookie learning C/L flying. I just built my first plane, a Twister, and just learning stunts. I was wondering if this plane is a collectors item, worth anything, before I decide to build it at a later date The guys training me say it would be an eye catcher if I build it, but I don't want to destroy an antique. Its still in the box with two sets of plans. Box has a picture of Max holding the plane I cant locate the year on any of the paperwork.

Just would like any information on it.
Thanks
Old 10-15-2003, 07:37 PM
Mike Denest

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I just acquired a Sterling Max Hester's P-63 King Cobra. It is R/C or can be built as C/L.
It has 70" wing span. I am a rookie learning C/L flying. I just built my first plane, a Twister, and just learning stunts. I was wondering if this plane is a collectors item, worth anything, before I decide to build it at a later date The guys training me say it would be an eye catcher if I build it, but I don't want to destroy an antique. Its still in the box with two sets of plans. Box has a picture of Max holding the plane I cant locate the year on any of the paperwork.
The P-63 was introduced about 1961, give or take a year. Yes, it is worth more in the box to the collector, yes if you try to fly it now you will clobber it and yes it is an eye catcher. Duplicate the parts and use a suitable replacement canopy. Keep everything in the box as is. FWIW, it will require at least a .60 to fly in the ukie circle and probably take two hands to hang on to it.
Old 10-15-2003, 07:39 PM
Mike Denest

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Sterling Models (Wizard Kit)

Hey guys, there's a Wizard kit on eBay.
Old 10-16-2003, 09:20 AM
gllarrabee

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Sterling Models (Wizard Kit)

Thanks
Old 10-16-2003, 04:41 PM
kdheath

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Speaking of repro Sterling kits, Eric Rule at RSM Distribution has a laser cut kit of the 35 size OTS Ringmaster. Terrific kit, and Eric is great to deal with. See:

http://rsmdistribution.com/kits-03.htm

Kelvin
Old 10-16-2003, 10:29 PM
wrbirch

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I'm building a Wizard F& right now, still have bottom wing and tail feathers to do, Planning on putting an old Enya 60 4 stroker in it, anyone know if this will fly ?????????????????????????/
Old 10-17-2003, 05:45 AM
Wulf

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hey Birch,
I guess no one flys these birds anymore.I did`nt get a responce either.I guess people just buy the kits and resell when price is right.
Old 10-17-2003, 11:10 PM
nanavion46

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Wulf,

Did you get my reply to your post #39? If not, let me know.

nanavion46
Old 10-18-2003, 07:21 AM
Wulf

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Nanavion,
No I did not get your reply.
Send me a E-mail.
Old 10-19-2003, 03:33 PM
nanavion46

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

In reply to your post #48, I am having difficulty e-mailing through RCUniverse. After I typed my response to your post #39, I did not see a "send" block to click and my message disappeared when I tried to scroll my e-mail page down. Please send me an e-mail directly to: thewalkers@ezla.net. I think I have some good information you could use On the FS-1 Tri-Pacer.

Max Walker
nanavion46
Old 10-19-2003, 07:58 PM
Wulf

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

(in reference to tri -pacer and to nanavion46 responce)
Nanavion46
I tried to send you an E-Mail message ,however it was rejected by your server why,I do not know.
I`ve had the Tri-Pacer out to field 3 x and i`m having controll problems.The faster plane goes the more uncontrollable(roll).I tried to correct with aileron trim only to have it want to roll in the other direction.Try sending me an E-Mail at rhofmann@oceana.net.I`ll be listening.
Thanks

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service