Notices
Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC Want to discuss some of those from the golden age, vintage rc planes or even an old classic antique vintage rc planes, radios, engines, etc? This is the place for you. Enjoy!

Strombecker

Old 12-18-2010, 07:33 AM
CoosBayLumber
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Strombecker

Not into such, but I have a few older Strombecker advertizements here (nothing shown) but they are mainly of the auto racing variety. I can remember them marketing a rubber powered, vac-u-formed flying airplane many years ago, but zero actual glow engined flying models.

Anyone ever hear of such a flying model (s) for Strombecker?

Wm.
Old 12-18-2010, 07:37 AM
spaceworm

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Strombecker

No, but I dated a young lady in high school whose father was the East coast distributor for them.[8D]

I remember building them back in the day, but before I was into glow (which was 1953).

Regards, Richard
Old 12-18-2010, 11:03 AM
maxpower1954

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've seen the plastic rubber powered Strombecker models in old hardware stores in Kansas back in the '60. They show up on ebay sometimes. Russ Farris

Check out this Strombecker site, it shows some of the flying models.

http://www.collectair.com/strombecker2.html
Old 12-19-2010, 07:40 AM
LesUyeda
Banned

"Strombecker"

I thought they made carburators:-))))))))

Les
Old 12-19-2010, 08:06 AM
spaceworm

ORIGINAL: LesUyeda

''Strombecker''

I thought they made carburators:-))))))))

Les

That would be Stromburg as on some hotrods and early British cars. Used somewhat interchangeably with the SU carb. Did you know the SU was designed by a plumber? Explains a lot

regards, Richard
Old 12-19-2010, 08:37 AM
spaceworm

Actually, that would be "Stromberg", not "Stromburg". Sorry, memory failed me as it has been doing lately.[]

Regards, Richard
Old 12-20-2010, 07:38 AM
LesUyeda
Banned

Yes I do remember the SU. I think my kids Bug Eyed Sprite had them. I don't remember what my 70 Spitfire has, but it may also. Raining here, and I am not about to take off the cover to find out. As I recall the SU had oil dapening on the carb piston, and if you ran it dry, it did funny things.

Les
Old 12-20-2010, 07:46 AM
spaceworm

ORIGINAL: LesUyeda

Yes I do remember the SU. I think my kids Bug Eyed Sprite had them. I don't remember what my 70 Spitfire has, but it may also. Raining here, and I am not about to take off the cover to find out. As I recall the SU had oil dapening on the carb piston, and if you ran it dry, it did funny things.

Les

Yes, I found that ATF was the best for the SU dampers, as it was less affected by temperature changes. I have a '66 TR4A in my garage now with SU on it. Stomberg were on some Triumph although I think SU were on a 65/66 Spitfire(s) I had. My '59 Bugeye had SU and it was my first British experience of many. Remember the Prince of Darkness, Lucas?

Sincere best wishes for a Happy Holiday Season and Merry Christmas to one and all.

Richard

Old 12-21-2010, 07:20 AM
LesUyeda
Banned

"I have a '66 TR4A "

Too new:-))))) I remember this hot blonde down the street from us (when we were in military housing in San Diego) that had a black TR3 that she used to go cruising around in. Of course, I cannot imagine that she knew how much attention she got.

Les