Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC
Reload this Page >

Early RC Models Debolt Champ build

Notices
Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC Want to discuss some of those from the golden age, vintage rc planes or even an old classic antique vintage rc planes, radios, engines, etc? This is the place for you. Enjoy!

Early RC Models Debolt Champ build

Old 01-04-2014, 02:05 PM
sebo

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I used fox 36. Seemed like the right amount of power...

Last edited by sebo; 01-04-2014 at 02:07 PM.
Old 01-04-2014, 03:25 PM
buzzard bait

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

O.S. 20 four strokes sound great! Good choice for the LW Champ too. Mine flew so well with an O.S. 15 FP I'm sure your 20 FS work be fine too. You can use more power too, of course. I'm not surprised a Fox 36 was good, but it also flies very well with a lot less power. You just have to watch the weight if you use a small motor. Mine was not quite 3 lbs.

Jim
Old 01-05-2014, 03:19 PM
EchoBravo
My Feedback: (220)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Debolt Champ "short" kit

Early RC seems to be gone now, but fear not! Ed @ Lazer-Works now offers a short-kit for the MkII (1967) Champ. It is very nicely done, the cutting and wood are great.

Myself and a few fellow club members are doing Champ builds from his short-kit this winter (They are WAY ahead of me on progress though. My plans & wood had been laid out & then of course the holidays kicked into gear.)

I'm planning on an O.S. .15FP for power in the MkII, while I also have a MkIII (1980) champ kitted by Midwest that will have Electric power in the form of an ~300 watt brushless outrunner with a 3s Lipo providing the juice.

Last edited by EchoBravo; 01-05-2014 at 03:28 PM. Reason: Bad Link
Old 01-05-2014, 05:17 PM
sebo

I like the electric idea...cleaner.
Old 11-23-2014, 02:33 PM
JT Hammer

Default The Champ made it to the field!

This is 'JT' who started this thread about 3 years ago. I recently checked to see if was still around and it was on page 9 in the vintage section. I was shocked to see I did not post a report on how my Champ (Golden Oldie) flew. I was sure I had done that. My sincere apologies to those who faithfully followed my thread and who gave me my valuable suggestions - like BobHH, billmod12, buzzard bait, skylark flier, spaceworm and so forth.........,.,Well the Champ did make it to the field after it dried out in May, 2011! She turned out to be a wonderful flier, from the very first lift-off. The Saito .30, also, was a great choice, and the extra weight was not even noticed. We had many flights together during that season and the next. Although I no longer have this fine lady in my possession I know she is appreciated by her present owner. The attached photos were taken at our field the day of the Champs maiden flight sorry no flight shots).....JT
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF3120.JPG
Views:	39
Size:	1.28 MB
ID:	2049617   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF3122.JPG
Views:	38
Size:	1.25 MB
ID:	2049618  
Old 11-23-2014, 09:37 PM
skylark-flier

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Hey JT, good to see you still around. Yeah, that's a nice looking bird, no doubt about that. My little red & yellow lady just attended her first VRCS flyin, Octoberfest in Oxford PA. Managed to get a pic of her next to an original Mk-I Champ that's electric-powered. She's a sweet-flying little plane, wouldn't trade her for the world.

Again, good to hear from you - don't be such a stranger.

Name:	100_1699.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	2.58 MB
ID:	2049724  
Old 11-24-2014, 08:43 AM
sebo

They are great aircraft.......I have a fresh one in the box waiting to be put together..........nice thresd.......
Old 11-24-2014, 09:13 AM
JT Hammer

Hi there skylark-flier. Good to hear from you, as well. Those two little champs look pretty good sitting there together. Ya, I kinda regret selling mine, but I was talked out of it. Before selling I removed the gold Saito .30, and replaced it with an O.S. .20 4-stroke. Actually, I flew it with this engine for a while before selling the Champ. Again, it flew flawlessly with the smaller engine, but did require a bit more take-off roll. I wanted to save the gold Saito for another project. Presently, I am tracing parts for a 'Square Shooter', a Dave Robelum (sp) design. I built 3 of these way back in the day. They were great little fliers. They had a 46" span and low winger - sort of a small ugly stick upside down, and dirt-easy to build. I am thinking maybe to do a 'build thread' on this one if there is interest. Maybe will post an enquiry on the vintage forum. Have a great day there.....JT
Old 11-24-2014, 11:01 AM
skylark-flier

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Yeah, I think a build thread on the Square Shooter in the vintage forum would be a good thing - it'd be sure to catch a whole bunch of guys following it. I remember the design (low-symmetrical-wing Ugly Stick with square tail) but it was before I got into RC. Back in that period I was still 100% C/L. Now I'm 10% C/L, still have 4 in the air, along with my 8 old (now) R/C birds.

My Champ was just one of 4 birds I took to that VRCS meet - the other 3 were a SIG Kadet Mk-II, CraftAir Butterfly & CG Eagle-II. Next meet will also have my CG Sr. Falcon and Gentle Lady along for the ride. Going to have to build new racks for the extra planes though - my present racks only hold 4 at a time. Here's the van when I arrived at Octoberfest:

Yeah, I definitely see a vertical addition for the wings so more fuse's can sit on the upper part of the rack.

Name:	100_1689a.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	165.7 KB
ID:	2049793   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_1690a.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	195.4 KB
ID:	2049794