Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC
Reload this Page >

the NEUTRINO; anyone flown this design?

Community
Search
Notices
Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC Want to discuss some of those from the golden age, vintage rc planes or even an old classic antique vintage rc planes, radios, engines, etc? This is the place for you. Enjoy!

the NEUTRINO; anyone flown this design?

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2003, 11:01 AM
Joe Nagy
My Feedback: (3)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default the NEUTRINO; anyone flown this design?

Hi Everyone;

Greetings from the 'Oven'.

While doing some research the past few evenings, and strumming through a bunch of old mags, I spotted a design that has always intrigued me called the NEUTRINO, a sort of double delta flying wing designed by Dave Youngblood, and featured as a construction article in the Dec. '67 issue of American Modeler magazine. Have any of you built/flown the NEUTRINO, what did you think of it. This one of those designs that gets under your skin sort of, and you wonder if you might want to build it.

Thank you in advance for shedding more light on to the old NEUTRINO design, and best regards to all from sunny and real hot Phoenix,

Joe Nagy. email: [email protected]
Old 08-07-2003, 12:59 PM
Bigc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default the NEUTRINO; anyone flown this design?

A friend of mine bought the plans in the late 60s but has yet to build it. I do remember seeing pictures of several Neutrinos in
the early 70s and a place that made foam wing cores for the
Neutrino.
There has to be several people out there that has had one.
Old 08-25-2003, 09:06 PM
grotto2
My Feedback: (2)

Default Neutrino

Hi Joe-
I built one of these in 1979 only to realize that the magazine plan showed no CG location. It porpoised so badly it would not take off until it had a considerable piece of lead in the tail.
I had an experienced pilot fly the first flight and it was uninteresting. I crashed it on the second flight trying to recover from a spin/spiral. The critical mistakes in construction boiled down to slop in the nyrod driven control surfaces and mechanical mixer. With today's radios, the mixing wouldn't be an issue.
I'd recommend ignoring the plans and building the plane out of foam except for a box style centersection. I saw an American Modeler reader had sent in a picture of this mod in a later issue.
-Ron Ellis
Old 08-26-2003, 08:02 AM
Joe Nagy

Default re NEUTRINO

Thanx Bigc and Ron;

for the NEUTRINO feedback, I was hoping for more input, but I think, with my limited flying abilities, I will just leave the NEUTRINO in my 'Field of Dreams', for the time being. Again many thanx, and best regards from the 'Oven', [Phoenix]

Joe Nagy.
Old 08-26-2003, 05:01 PM
boberos

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Neutrino

Hi Joe,
you might try Weldon Smith for info as he designed the Delta Hustler & other delta RC models in the vintage era. You can reach him through the VRCS.
Bob G
Old 08-26-2003, 08:00 PM
Joe Nagy

Default NEUTRINO/DELTA HUSTLERS

Hey Bob;

Good to hear from you again.

Good idea! I have 2 DELTA HUSTLER kits in my kit archives, + I think I have a copy of the original magazine article plans. You have to hand it to these guys of old, lots of guts to try and fly these quite advanced for the time, [even for now], designs. Another time, another place, I guess, but I sure do enjoy going through the old mags and stumbling onto these old treasures.

Many thanx for the input, I will look into it, and best regards from hot & what??? cloudy Phoenix....[a small hurricane is sneaking up on us through the Gulf of California].

Joe Nagy.
Old 09-30-2004, 03:41 PM
grotto2

Default RE: the NEUTRINO; anyone flown this design?

Gosh Joe. I did some further research and found out that Dave Youngblood is none other than the father of heli jock Curtis Youngblood. Duh.
I'm still intrigued by the Neutrino. Maybe I'll build another one out of foam this year...80" might be nice. Got to finish the Bar-Fli first, though.
-Ron
Old 10-01-2004, 02:10 AM
Joe Nagy

Hi Ron;

Greetings to you from the very warm, [no Hurricane zone], 'Valley of the Sun'. Re Hurricanes, how did you make out, as you got hit twice...H. Francis & Jeanne. I have a home on a barrier island rite across FL from you in Englewood, H Charley just missed me, as did the other 3, so I consider myself real lucky for sure.

I'm still intrigued by the old Neutrino, but my inquiry herein over a year ago yielded such poor response, I just put it on the back burner for now. & re last names per Youngblood et. al., I get asked all the time if the Cleavland Indians pitcher Charley Nagy, and or, hockey star Stanislaus Nagy are my my boys....ah I wish, then I'd be drivin' MB or Lexus cars.

Let me know how you make out with your big foamed Neutrino, if you like it, I'd be interested in building one also, but for now will let you be the test pilot/guinee pig. I will close off for now, best regards from sunny Phoenix,

Joe Nagy.
Old 02-03-2006, 06:49 AM
jettstarblue

Did a search for the Neutrino, saw this thread, over three years old...I used to have a Neutrino with an old unmuffled ST on it. I bought it from a woman who found it in her attic. Been trying to find info on it ever since....Now I have an American Modeller magazine from '69 with a picture of one. Now at least I know what it was called and who designed it.

Anyone try to contact Mr. Youngblood yet?
Mine flew great, but did have a lot of slop in the linkage and mechanical mixer. Finally crashed it doing low low passes for the video camera. I fleew it into the 4' tall grass at full speed from a big dive. It didn't survive.
Old 03-12-2006, 11:49 PM
grotto2

Hey Joe-
I looked for you at the DeBolt Memorial this weekend, but I suppose you're in Az.
Was looking for a continuation of our Neutrino discussion.
Do you happen to know where I can get a decent set of plans?
-Ron