Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC
Reload this Page >

Head gasket material for .60 model engine

Community
Search
Notices
Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC Want to discuss some of those from the golden age, vintage rc planes or even an old classic antique vintage rc planes, radios, engines, etc? This is the place for you. Enjoy!

Head gasket material for .60 model engine

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2011, 10:23 AM
PT109

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Head gasket material for .60 model engine

Gentlemen; I have a 1946 Champion (Atwood) .60 ignition (on a glow plug at the moment) model airplane engine that I was given because kids took it apart and broke the two piston rings and lost the needle valve and destroyed two of three gaskets. I have made both piston rings and needle valve and I used Vellumoid 1/64" thick paper type gasket material for the cylinder and head gaskets. The cylinder gasket is working but the head gasket, blew, as I thought it might, after about 2 minutes of run time. I obviously need a gasket material that is made for head gaskets for an engine of this size. Any ideas on where I might find such an item? Thanks as always, Karl in Michigan.
Old 05-17-2011, 10:29 AM
Laird SS

Default RE: Head gasket material for .60 model engine

How about brass shim stock? Possible source might be McMaster-Carr. [link=http://www.mcmaster.com/#shim-stock/=cchll1]http://www.mcmaster.com/#shim-stock/=cchll1[/link]
Old 05-17-2011, 10:53 AM
big max 1935
My Feedback: (9)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use Perfect gasket material from Tower( Tower # LXDF10). It is green colored so I use a black magic marker on the edges so it will look better. Max H.
Old 05-19-2011, 08:20 AM
eagle1945

I  would reccomend copper shim stock if you can find it at MC anymore.

Old 05-26-2011, 12:40 PM
PT109

Hi Eagle 1945, I have some very thin copper sheet; my wife used it years ago for a craft project. I made a head gasket from it, it hasn't blown but it does leak some, not good. I'll try some of that Perfect stuff from Tower hobbies that a previous poster, big max 1935, mentioned. Thanks for your input though, this old engine sure screems after many years of not runningits fun! Regards, Karl
Old 05-27-2011, 02:13 AM
gerryndennis

Not sure if the Tower perfect gasket is intended for head gaskets (it's a rubberised material). You need a metal gasket for the head (at least for all the modern engines, and I presume your vintage engine).

You could try coke or beer can materiel, it's aluminium and about the right thickness.

Cheers

Dave H
Old 05-27-2011, 03:18 AM
big max 1935
My Feedback: (9)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Most vintage engines w/removeable heads used a gasket material simular to Perfect . I have used it on many engines I have rebuilt & not had any trouble . As long as you are working w/two clean surfaces that mate properly they should last. Remember what killed many old engines was when converted to glow plugs & the related fuel they were no longer in their design perimeters. I find that pop can material is too hard & will not compress ,I have used K&S aluminum on modern engines ,it is soft .Besides all you have to lose is a couple of bucks & a little time W/ the Perfect. Max H.
Old 05-29-2011, 02:52 AM
gerryndennis

There you go, I bow to your knowledge of engines vintage.

I will have to try some of the perfect gasket to replace ripped paper gaskets.

Thanks Big Max

Dave H
Old 05-31-2011, 07:31 PM
jessiej

ORIGINAL: big max 1935

I use Perfect gasket material from Tower( Tower # LXDF10). It is green colored so I use a black magic marker on the edges so it will look better. Max H.
I have used the Perfect material as well. I have also used some gasket material from an auto parts store that seems similar to the Perfect stuff but I can't recall the name. The store, (I think it was an Advance Auto Parts) had small rolls of gasket material in cork, paper, and whatever this "Perfect-like" material is. Between model engines, motorcycle engines and cars I have found uses for all of it.

The cork is very authentic for old British cars and bikes- leaks just like the original gaskets.

jess
Old 06-02-2011, 03:14 PM
Lifer
My Feedback: (1)

Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts

Most hobby shops have a K&S metals displays. Many include various thicknesses of copper and aluminum sheet.
Old 06-02-2011, 05:10 PM
jessiej

ORIGINAL: Lifer

Most hobby shops have a K&S metals displays. Many include various thicknesses of copper and aluminum sheet.
I remember such displays from the distant past when I last saw a hobby shop. Seems as though they gad various sizes of balsa and such as well. Been a while though and the memory........

jess