Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC
Reload this Page >

Kit builders looking for a project

Community
Search
Notices
Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC Want to discuss some of those from the golden age, vintage rc planes or even an old classic antique vintage rc planes, radios, engines, etc? This is the place for you. Enjoy!

Kit builders looking for a project

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2011, 08:07 AM
John Redman
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Kit builders looking for a project

Hey guys, I had a small accident in my basement this week. Lets just say the water did not stay outside, and made its way inside. I had a few of my kits of my collection out and taking some pictures to put them up for sale. Well they got wet. Boxes are pretty much trashed. So far it is looking like they kits are going to be fine. I have laid everything out and have been drying it keeping wieght on the wood to ensure it doesn't warp. There was minimal water on the floor and for the most part only a few pieces of each kit saw water. The boxes are a done deal.

So these have truly become builders kits. If any of you are interested they will be up for sale at a far lower price than you would routinely find them for. If a kit is so far gone I will let the world know, but do not believe any of these are in that condition. More infor to follow if people are interested. Kits that have the damage are listed below.

Top Flite Yellow Box kits:
P-51B
P-47
P-40

Royal:
P-26A Pea Shooter
Stinson Reliant
Cessna 182

Hobby Shack:
Staggerwing Bipe

BVM:
F-16 This is an original kit with the better polyurethane foam wings.

My other 200 kits in my collection are fine and did not see any water, just higher humidity for a period of a couple of days.
More to follow.

Just checking to see how this thread might go. Would rather get these to someone who might build them or use the parts to complete anotehr kit than just pitch them in the trash.

Thanks,
Old 05-27-2011, 09:49 AM
Bigshark

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: Kit builders looking for a project

I feel your pain. I've become accustomed to dried out hands from using hydraulic cement (gloves are for wimpy....or smart people) and the smell of water proofing paint. I didn't lose any kits but did have a small rivulet running through my work room. Good Luck.
Old 05-28-2011, 05:50 AM
John Redman
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey guys, I will give more details probably on Monday. I coach a 14U travel baseball team and we have double headers today and tomorrow.

All the kits we be very buildable using the current wood. Minimal damage to the wood in the kits. The boxes are DONE! Plans appear to be fine as well. Some decal sheets in some of the kits may not be usable due to the amount of water that was in the air. Not sure if the humidity would cause an issue when combined with the age.

There are a few others to add.

Stay tuned.
Old 05-28-2011, 06:30 AM
Avaiojet

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

My other 200 kits in my collection are fine and did not see any water
What is your address and when will you not be home?
Old 05-28-2011, 02:47 PM
smithcreek
My Feedback: (25)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

John, pm sent on Stinson.
Old 05-28-2011, 03:11 PM
Avaiojet

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Some decal sheets in some of the kits may not be usable due to the amount of water that was in the air.
Got photos of the sheets?
Old 07-21-2011, 12:05 AM
nomadmariner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would be interested in the Peashooter and the Reliant if they are still available ?