Community
Search
Notices
Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC Want to discuss some of those from the golden age, vintage rc planes or even an old classic antique vintage rc planes, radios, engines, etc? This is the place for you. Enjoy!

Bill Winters

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2011, 11:28 AM
crazy nick
My Feedback: (29)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Bill Winters

Anyone builld one of his designs? I am friends w/ his grandson and wanted to show him a pic of one built.
Old 10-13-2011, 11:51 AM
gittarpikk

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Bill Winters

I googled this one... there could be more
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge94760.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	22.8 KB
ID:	1673840  
Old 10-13-2011, 12:20 PM
crazy nick

Cool thanks! I just talked to his grandson, he's gonna go to the field w/ me sure he'll get into the hobby, its in his blood
Old 10-13-2011, 01:10 PM
spaceworm

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have not, but I do have some older RCM Magazines (or was it MAN?) that had his designs. I will try to find some and post some pictures and plans. Maybe someone else will also?

Sincerely, Richard
Old 10-13-2011, 01:32 PM
crazy nick

Thank you Richard, that would be great.
Old 10-13-2011, 01:35 PM
spaceworm

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just read the following in the AMA tribute to Bill Winters:

"The RC Special was published in the March and April 1991 issue of Model Aviation magazine. This model is the embodiment of all of the classic lines of the 1930s rolled into one. One can see lines of most any favorite Golden Age airplane in the Special. It has a concealed muffler and effective flaps. The model has fine flight qualities and it competed well in local fun-flys of the day.
Bill and I took the RC Special to Fredericksburg for a flying session with Bill’s friends H.A. Thomas, Charlie Rector and Bill Kaluff. Bill took the Special up for a flight in which he climbed to 200 feet at high idle, throttled back down to idle and went looking for a lift, which he promptly found. With the model definitely rising, I said, “Let’s see if you really have lift,” and shut the engine down. The Special kept on climbing. Bill had begun a sandwich before the flight. When the model had risen to 1,000 feet, and after about 20 minutes, Bill handed the transmitter to me, the sandwich still hanging from his mouth. I promptly lost the thermal and was back down in 10 minutes, but this was a classic day with the Special and Bill and his friends."

Although I did not know Bill Winters, I knew, and was mentored, by one his friends, Charlie Rector of Fredericksburg, VA in the early 90's. Charlie, and perhaps some of the other friends listed above was a member of the Aeromasters RC Club, which still flies at their field that they dedicated to, and named after Charlie.

If you or your friend, Bill's grandson, are ever in the Fredericksburg area, please let me take you to the field and/or the other fine RC firlds in our area. Please PM me if I can arrange these visits.

Sincerely, Richard
Old 10-13-2011, 01:46 PM
gittarpikk

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here is a good link to find some info [link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_7280115/printable.htm]link[/link]