Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

1980's Sig Colt.

Just wanted to share a couple of pictures of my Sig Colt that had its maiden flight last night. The Colt was the first plane that I tried to learn RC with back in 1983. It didn't work out too well but I still have the Enya .15 that powered that first plane. I later found a local club in Weatherford, OK where is got buddy boxed on a Goldberg Eagle. I always wanted to try again with the Colt. I found this one at an online auction and snapped it up. The Norvel .15 is an anachronism but flies the plane with power to spare. The plane flies nicely and with no ailerons, it provides good practice for my left thumb.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Xv64053.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	68.3 KB 
ID:	1636428   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Hd94453.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	61.9 KB 
ID:	1636429  
    Matt Kirk

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: 1980's Sig Colt.

Congrats Matt!

That is a great story! I have had a few of those revisits myself.

turbo

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Nice job Matt! I designed the Colt when I worked at Sig in 1978. It was unveiled at the 1978 Toledo show. Hard to believe that was 33 years ago.

Jeff Foley
    Product Engineer, Sig Mfg. 1976-78
    Jeff Foley
    Team Horizon

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Jeff,

Did the Colt use the wing from the Midwest Cardinal manufactured back in the '70s?

Tom

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thanks Jeff, your design holds up well over time.
    Matt Kirk

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Trisquire

Jeff,

Did the Colt use the wing from the Midwest Cardinal manufactured back in the '70s?

Tom
    I dont think so as I built one of those Midwest Cardinals some 30 years ago but I could be wrong.

That Sig foam wing was used in at least 4 of their own kits, the Colt, Klipper, Scamp, and a shoulder wing job that the name escapes me. I had an awful lot of fun flying 3 channel, 15-19 powered stuff in the early 80's

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

The fourth design using that wing was the Sig Super Sport.

turbo

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Trisquire

Jeff,

Tom
    Hi Tom,

I think some of the first airplanes in that series used the molded foam wing from the Goldberg Ranger 42 (or something similar). At some point, Glenn Sig realized he could have a mold made and do his own cheaper. I still remember him fussing about the cost of that mold! The Colt was one of the later airplanes and we already had our own wings by then. Funny story about the Colt... I wanted to spell it with a "K" like the Kadet, Kommander, Kougar etc....but Claude McCullough (the head designer) wouldn't let me! He said the "K" thing was his trademark and he didn't want anyone else using it. Claude was a great guy though and dedicated his life to modeling. He was the best with silk and dope I ever saw.

Jeff
    Jeff Foley
    Team Horizon

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thanks Jeff. Interesting stories.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I went out this afternoon and put in a few flights with the Colt. The weather was hot (105 F) and windy with 20 mph gusts but the little plane handled it well. It really shows how ham-fisted I must have been as an untrained beginner because the plane is really quite forgiving. I actually managed to get my original colt into th eiar and down in one piece on several occasions. I also parked in a tree on one occasion and in a swamp on another. I have the rudder set up on the left stick and it is giving my thumb some much needed practice. It is an interesting experience to use the rudder to roll the airplane. Landing require a little more forethought but once you are lined up with the runway, just use the throttle to control the descent and it flairs nicely into an easy landing.
    Matt Kirk

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Good news, but do you mind if I suggest a switch? I flew 3 channel rudder/elevator planes for years and always put the rudder on the right stick because as you say, it really controls roll (except in stall turns and for taxi).

When I got a computer radio I set up the coupling so I could work the rudder off either stick, which is how I learned to taxi with the left stick. That arrangement also gave me instant dual rates, because left and right stick together doubled the throw. Great for snap rolls.

Anyway, nice plane...I love those old 3 channel designs.

Jim

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

That's a good idea. Sometimes I find myself trying to ground handle my 3 channel parkflyer with the left stick. Obviously, nothing happens.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I will probably go over to right stick for the rudder at some point. There were several times as I was flying that I tried to correct with the right stick instead of the left. Like I said, the rudder practice doesn't hurt, but it isn't very convenient. As I mentioned in my first post this is my second go around with a Colt. There is a lot of pleasure in going back and doing it right. I may have to put a new needle valve on the Enya .15 that I had on the first on to really recreate the experience.
    Matt Kirk

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I have a Sig Colt I’m flying from time to time, but the foam wing is getting a little tired! Are there any of the replacement foam wings out there anywhere that any of you all know about that I can purchase. Please let me know any information you have!
    Thanks
    Jim M

Mo-jim

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I cut my teeth on a Sig Colt in 1977. It had an HB .20 on it and flew very well, even with a World Engines Expert radio.... about the only airframe that radio did not crash Wonderful three channel model. Congratulations!
    Representative of<br>
    GCBM R/C Enterprises

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

We used the Super Sport as a one design club racer one year. I had the Super Sport and the one that looked like a Cub.
    Rich Border AMA 77727
    Sig Kadet Brotherhood #2

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I've got a 75% built Scamp and was wondering if the wing needs the special tape glued or stuck to the bottom of the foam wing to make the it stronger. I haven't seen any at the hobby shop. I think it's a carbon fiber tape? Sorry I can't recall right now. I'm a pretty mild flyer and will do an occasional loop but don't do high speed dives and such. Just wondering if it's necessary. Thanks!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

When I built one back in the '70s I used plain straping tape you can get a the hardware store. It worked well.

Bruce
    Bruce L. AMA# 54227
    Ultra Sport Brotherhood #15

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: pspring

I've got a 75% built Scamp and was wondering if the wing needs the special tape glued or stuck to the bottom of the foam wing to make the it stronger. I haven't seen any at the hobby shop. I think it's a carbon fiber tape? Sorry I can't recall right now. I'm a pretty mild flyer and will do an occasional loop but don't do high speed dives and such. Just wondering if it's necessary. Thanks!
    Bruce is correct....just plain old nylon re-inforced packing tape from an office supply works fine. By the way, when I was working at Sig back in the seventies...we tried to fold a wing without tape and couldn't do it. This included full throttle dives and sharp pull outs. Not that I am telling you to try that!
    Jeff Foley
    Team Horizon

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thanks for the feedback guys!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I picked up a Scamp at a swap meet near Toronto where they used to do some club racing with them a while ago. It was my favourite small plane until I tried the Sig Wonder a couple of months ago. I got a spare wing, and was wondering about the wing bracing myself because I never built the first one. It is pretty tough, it did a cartwheel on a botched hand launch with no damage. The pic doesn't show the flourescent orange too good. I can't believe this is in the antique section?!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lj24032.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	208.5 KB 
ID:	1826965