Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC
Reload this Page >

How do you fly your planes?

Community
Search
Notices
Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC Want to discuss some of those from the golden age, vintage rc planes or even an old classic antique vintage rc planes, radios, engines, etc? This is the place for you. Enjoy!
View Poll Results: A poll
I fly as if my hair''s on fire - Full throttle all of the time!!!
4.23%
Maybe not full throttle all the time but I still like speed!
31.83%
I've found that speed isn't as important as gracefulness.
50.42%
I like to fly liesurely with a lawn chair and a glass of tea.
7.61%
My style of flying puts spectators to sleep.
4.23%
I fly half asleep.
1.69%
Voters: 355. You may not vote on this poll

How do you fly your planes?

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2012, 02:43 PM
H5487

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: How do you fly your planes?

I'm the OP of this thread and while it has been somewhat informative, I am also disappointed in many of the replies.

My original intent of this thread and poll were to see if the readers of the Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC forum were more conservative in how they flew. I based my question on the theory that those who have an interest in the early days of model airplanes and RC equipment are more than likely older themselves. (Maybe I'm stereotyping but I kinda figured that most teenagers are not very interested in freeflight airplanes or Galloping Ghost radios.) Therefore, figuring that this was an older crowd, I was curious to see if their (our) flying has also slowed down with age. The high number of "I found that speed isn't as important as gracefulness" poll responses somewhat confirmed that a leaning towards finesse DOES come with grey hair.

However, those responses of "I fly like my hair's on fire - Full throttle all of the time" gave me the impression that these guys are probably not regulars to the Golden Age forum but simply dropped in because they saw that a poll was being conducted. I may be wrong but I kinda doubt that many of the regulars in this particular forum are that heavily into speed. (I.E. Golden Age/Vintage/Antique rarely equates to speedy models!) Again, I may be wrong...

But the one thing that I'm really disappointed in are the number of those who felt it necessary to come out fighting! Notice that my original question never condemned a particular style of flying. In fact, the closest that it came to something like that was when I mentioned that I PERSONALLY didn't think that doing 3-D with a model of a four-engined bomber was very scale-like. (In my defense, I also said that the sky's big enough for all of us.) What got me were the large number of flyers who got their feathers ruffled because they apparently deciphered that this post was all about condemning their flying style. Again, maybe I'm not seeing this correctly but my college Psychology classes would say that these guys who are spring-loaded to come out fighting have had to defend their flying style many times before now. Again, I may be wrong...

Harvey
Old 01-04-2012, 02:56 PM
jchorak
My Feedback: (9)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Flexnbeef

I like to fly my 3d planes low and slow, my warbirds fast as they can move, and my sunday flyers in the relaxing midrange. I like to fly my friends planes the most. I was grinning from ear to ear when one of the guys at our field handed me his transmitter to his 35% yak and told me to take it for a spin, made me feel good that he felt confident in my abilities as a pilot to hand over his investment, Thats was a memorable day. Thanks Chip.... We miss you at the field........... Mr Bigg, I like flying your planes too , Hurry up and get the Hulk back in service.... cause you know I'm want to fly the s#^$ outta that one....
I think I'll leave mine at home and fly yours........
jc
Old 01-05-2012, 05:49 AM
HighPlains
My Feedback: (1)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

1930's airshow performer Harold Johnson flying a Ford Tri-motor through loops, spins and a roll with plenty of one wheel landings.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I6f0tvqtAxQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Un2JJ...endscreen&NR=1
Old 01-06-2012, 04:23 AM
Oberst
Banned

I only fly scale WWI birds. I don't think I would want to fly them at a racing event. But in a mock dogfight I could use anything that would give me the edge. I voted, "I've found that speed isn't as important as gracefulness."

Pete
Old 01-06-2012, 10:16 PM
maxpower1954

Here's the ultimate "non-scale" flight demo - Tex Johnston barrel-rolling the prototype Boeing 707 at the Seattle Hydroplane Race in 1955. He almost got fired for that one!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CLDr54dlw6s

Russ Farris
Old 01-08-2012, 10:36 AM
WEDJ

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

IMHO, What I like to do and watch best is well-done 1970's Master class pattern. Looks like a Blue Angels demo flight.
Old 01-11-2012, 07:38 PM
urban hype

I fly leisurely and with a lawn chair only because I like sailplanes and I am too old to stand for hours while I attempt to thermal.