Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC Want to discuss some of those from the golden age, vintage rc planes or even an old classic antique vintage rc planes, radios, engines, etc? This is the place for you. Enjoy!

Mattel Pulse Radio

Old 04-27-2012, 09:44 PM
Rubbernecker

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Mattel Pulse Radio

I have a couple of questions on battery voltage for Mattel Pulse syetems. What is the max voltage for the transmitter and what mah? Reason is, the battery box is warped and batteries do not make good contact. I made a box that gets velcroed on the back but it just looks awful (for dry cell). Was wondering if I could just go with lipos. I purchased a unit online and it came with a 3 cell nicad flight pack. Now if it's full charged, that is probably 4 volts. The dry cell required is 3 volts. Will this extra volt hurt anything and if not, could a 1 cell lipo be used? Guess main question is how critical is voltage give a volt or 2.

John
Old 04-28-2012, 03:26 AM
gittarpikk

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Mattel Pulse Radio

Hi John,

There are many small and inexpensive voltage regulator circuits on ebay. You want one that has a input voltage range to something like 12v and an adjustable output voltage. This allows you to use a lipo of whatever voltage you want..and gives the required exact voltage for the transmitter. They are not kits...rather complete mini board assmblies.
All you need is a voltmeter to get the output voltage correct.

I think the last one I bought for this was about $5 and some real nice ones ran $9 shipped.

Old 04-28-2012, 06:10 AM
Rubbernecker

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Any idea what MAH rating it should be? Also, what about the flight pack? I have one that I currently use that I put a diode on, but if it's not needed, why bother. 3 cell nicad is pretty equal to a single cell lipo.

John
Old 04-28-2012, 09:08 AM
fritzke

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

John,
I have one of those systems and tried it recently, it did not work on 2 cells
but with a std. 4 cell nicad receiver pack it worked fine.
Dave
Old 04-28-2012, 09:40 AM
gittarpikk

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Quote:
ORIGINAL: fritzke

John,
I have one of those systems and tried it recently, it did not work on 2 cells
but with a std. 4 cell nicad receiver pack it worked fine.
Dave
John, the 4 cell nicad is 4.8 v so a single cell lipo is not enough

One way to whip it is use a 2 cell lipo and some cheap low amps esc with nothing attached ..just plug it into your receiver...or splice it into the present receiver power wires..for your 4.8 supply volts. An easy way to get things to match.

Old 04-28-2012, 11:32 AM
Rubbernecker

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thanks for the info guys, but here is my dilemma, the instructions below say something different. Hence my questioning if anyone has experience running more voltage without damage??????

John
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq47580.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	156.5 KB
ID:	1756036  
Old 04-28-2012, 01:40 PM
texflyer

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

John, I have several Mattel single channel pulse systems. The transmitter instructions call for 6 C-cells which makes 9 volts. I removed the spring loaded battery part from the transmitter and wired in a 700ma 9,6 volt nicad pack with a small Deans connector to make it removable. I used velcro to mount it inside, then installed a charge jack. I use a 2 cell nicad pack for the receiver. I fly a Junior Falcon with no problems except when flying mine does not like the transmitter antenna pointed at the airplane, have to keep it parallel or I will get glitches.

Floyd
Old 04-30-2012, 02:33 PM
Rubbernecker

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

O.K., any feed back on the receiver after viewing the instructions I posted for the people that use 4.8 packs. Are you running Mattel with no problems? I would hate to cook something but if you are running the same set-up, it shouldn't hurt mine.

Thanks,

John
Old 04-30-2012, 03:41 PM
Ram-bro

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

wow, I remember this unit from my jr high school days. Where are you guys finding these at? I think it was my 1st rc plane I ever built....Jr falconand mattel...oh the memories.
Old 04-30-2012, 04:27 PM
ggeezer

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hi John,
I run some old 3 volt single channel receiver systems from a single Lipol but I wire one or two 1N4000 series diodes in series in the positive supply. Each diode drops the voltage 0.6 volts over a wide current range. This puts the lipol voltage in the range that these systems like. This is a really cheap and reliable solution. Just remember to wire the diodes so that they pass current and not block it.

Orv.
Old 04-30-2012, 05:41 PM
Rubbernecker

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I've had mine since my Jr High years. Also purchased another one about 6 - 7 years ago online.

John
Old 04-30-2012, 05:44 PM
Rubbernecker

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Orv. that is exactly what I have done on one unit, but my other one came with a 3 cell nicad (previous owner), so I was wondering if it would be o.k. to run it with a 1 cell lipo without the diode. As you can see, many different responses and I'm curious if all of them are the Mattel units???

Thanks,

John
Old 05-02-2012, 10:49 PM
ggeezer

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

John,
I'm not familiar with the Mattel system. I presume that the receiver is a selective super-het and it has a duel transistor output to the magnetic actuator similar to what was used in the Testors and Ace systems. The receiver portion probably won't be damaged by a higher voltage but the output transistors would pass a higher current at the higher voltage and may fail due to increased dissipation. Some receivers can show some instability at elevated voltages so one must do lots of testing to be sure.
I find that most of my 3 volt single channel systems work better with increased range on 3 nicads than on 2.
I think I would still use one diode for the lipol because the fully charged voltage is over 4 volts.
Let us know how you do.

Orv.
Old 05-03-2012, 03:24 AM
Rubbernecker

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Guess I will stick with the diode since I don't have the means or the know how to test the componets you refer to. Don't want to cook anything. Thanks!

John
Old 05-15-2012, 10:35 AM
jaymen

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

The receiver is set up for 3 volts. If you use more, or less voltage, it will affect it's performance. More voltage will make it distort the recived signal and subject to noise overloading it. Less voltage will cause a drop off of range, and actuator power.
There are two bias resistors which can be changed in value to allow operation at 2.4 volts, 3.0 volts, and 3.6 volts. Ace receivers had this as a factory option you could have done. I myself would use an LM317 voltage regulator set to 3 volts and a Lipo. It's either that, or use two AA sized Alakaline Energizers, as most planes need the weight up front anyway.
Old 05-16-2012, 03:35 AM
Rubbernecker

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hey Jaymen, great to hear from you. Been a while since you have been around. Sent you an e-mail with this question and got a reply that you no longer worked there? Anyway, the unit in question with the flight pack is one I purchased from you some years ago. It came with a 3 cell nicad pack. That not fully charged is 3.6 volts where as a single lipo is 3.7 volts. Fully charged, both are over 4 volts. Any issue with that? The other question is the transmitter batteries. Will lipos work in that (assume I need a regulator since voltage will be 11.1) and what mah rating?

Thanks,

John
Old 06-04-2012, 10:39 AM
jaymen

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

You should be OK with a 3.6 volt battery if I set up the receiver for it. Normally I would use AA Nicads. An easy replacement for the original 6 C cells is 8 AA Nicads in the Tx. If you want, an LM317 chip can be wired up to regulate down an 11 volt or greater battery to 9 volts. There are many application sheets availlable online that show how to do this, or I can build you a regulator if you want.

I am no longer working at Newmar,
Regards,
Old 06-04-2012, 09:10 PM
grotto2

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

The LM317 is cheap and really easy to work with.

Using Lipos and a regulator can sure solve a lot of problems with vintage equipment. I finally sorted out my GG system by using two LM317s to power my receiver and Rand LR-3 from one Lipo pack.

-Ron

R1.... R2.........Vout
240 1500......9.0625
240 1200......7.5
240 1000......6.458333333
240 750........5.15625
240 720........5
240 470........3.697916667
240 450........3.59375
240 440........3.541666667
240 240........2.5
240 225........2.421875
240 220........2.395833333

.1uf on Vin
10uf on Vout
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo39651.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	8.1 KB
ID:	1769308  
Old 06-06-2012, 10:29 AM
jaymen

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

A 5K pot can be used for R2 to make it adjustable. The LM 317 is a simple easy solution.
Old 06-10-2012, 10:06 AM
LittleRock

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Jay,
Are you still doing repairs? I need one checked that you built for me in '09.

Search this Thread