Community
Search
Notices
Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC Want to discuss some of those from the golden age, vintage rc planes or even an old classic antique vintage rc planes, radios, engines, etc? This is the place for you. Enjoy!

Old time Hobby Shops

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2012, 04:35 PM
SGibson
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Old time Hobby Shops

Anybody out there still have an old time type hobby shop nearby? I'm talking about a place with real kits, a great selection of balsa, good used radios for sale. If your engine goes bad the owner can probably order parts and fix it. You are young and need help tapping an engine mount, the owner can do that too since you bought all of your stuff from him. My old time hobby shop was in Indianapolis on Rockville road. Les Pruitt's hobby shop had everything. He helped with my Falcon 56 construction and let me put a used Citizen-Ship five channel on a payment plan. The radio stayed in the store until it was paid off but I held it every time I went into the store. I doubt there are many shops left like Les Pruitt's hobby shop.
Old 10-01-2012, 04:41 PM
iflyj3
My Feedback: (7)

Default RE: Old time Hobby Shops

ORIGINAL: SGibson

Anybody out there still have an old time type hobby shop nearby? I'm talking about a place with real kits, a great selection of balsa, good used radios for sale. If your engine goes bad the owner can probably order parts and fix it. You are young and need help tapping an engine mount, the owner can do that too since you bought all of your stuff from him. My old time hobby shop was in Indianapolis on Rockville road. Les Pruitt's hobby shop had everything. He helped with my Falcon 56 construction and let me put a used Citizen-Ship five channel on a payment plan. The radio stayed in the store until it was paid off but I held it every time I went into the store. I doubt there are many shops left like Les Pruitt's hobby shop.
Not around here. We lost our last one last year when Lew McFarland died.
Old 10-01-2012, 05:00 PM
N1EDM
My Feedback: (2)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

We have a couple in our area, South of Boston. One LHS owner once told me that if he had to rely on airplanes for his business, he wouldn't be able to survive. Though he has a pretty good stock of kits and ARF's (as well as balsa) he makes more money on RC Cars. He tries to order what people will buy.

Bob
Old 10-01-2012, 07:32 PM
MajorTomski

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Mike's Models May Ave, Oklahoma City
Old 10-02-2012, 03:25 AM
Walt Thyng
My Feedback: (9)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Woodstock Hobbies, on the square in Woodstock, Il. The place is a jumble, but the owner knowa where everything is.
Walt
Old 10-02-2012, 05:42 AM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

Been to the Woodstock store, don't believe everything the guy tells you though, not an expert as he thinks he is, and is more of an Electric flyer than glow.   He does have a decent selection of models and a few you dont normally see elsewhere, such as wooden ship kits, and a couple of the museum quality airplane static kits.  He doesn't have any RC kits, just ARF's, and those are of the electric types.   He has a kit of a Jenny that I am really tempted to get, but just can't see spending that much right now on a static display. 

There is a Hobbytown in Rockford that stocks RC kits, that's where I got my Kadet LT40.  They also have a large selection of ARF's and is also where I found my 4*120.  They also have good deals on radio gear if you can catch them just right, got my DX8 with the extra RX for what this online place was selling them for, without paying shipping, only because the box was crunched.  However, that store also caters to the ground pounders and air rifle freaks.  When you ask about RC airplane stuff you get the deer in the headlights look.  There is this really nice looking Cub hanging from the ceiling, and when I inquired if it was for sale all I got was a shrug.  

Where I live the closest flying field is 40 minutes away, there is one closer, but the contact hasn't responded back as to where it actually is located, and If I had the money, I would build a field nearby with a small shop that sells the planes and cars and have a good ol time doing it.   Man, if I could just win the lotto I have the perfect place lined up that would cater to planes, cars and boats. 
Old 10-02-2012, 10:57 AM
Joe Nagy
My Feedback: (3)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Hi SG;

Here in the 'Valley of the Sun', [Phoenix, AZ] area there is the best hobby shop to be found anywhere, and that is Frank's Hobby House, owned and operated by Bernie Frank and Family; followed by the Hobby Bench stores.

ANd for real old timey stuff, there is the greatest of all Hobby Shop of them all.....Ta-Dah!!....eBay!! Rite now, and for the past 13 yrs, I have purchased literally 100s of kits, bulk Balsa wood, plywood, props, engines and lots of other stuff on eBay, [I luv eBay]. I like the old balsa kits and the older type engines of the 70s. You can find just about anything you want on eBay, sooner or later; believe me!

You asked, and I gave you one man's opinion, a model airplane enusiast/nut for 60+ years and into RC since '69; best regards from Glendale, Arizona,

Joe Nagy.
Old 10-03-2012, 03:15 AM
Free Bird

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Barn Speed in Lee, MA. Great place and Joe S. is awesome!
Also, RC Hobbies and More in Winsted, CT. Erwin is also awesome!

Both will go out of their way to make you happy!

FB
Old 10-03-2012, 08:53 AM
evan-RCU

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

They are getting rare, even the ones that are left do fewer special things like you are describing above. Same with hardware stores, we had a great one near me called Hipps hardware, they had everything there. They moved a few years back and became a typical Ace Hardware when they did. I wonder what happened to all the cool things they had. Speed shops for hot rodders are another type shop that has disappeared but I imagine the new cars and their computer systems along with the new generation not having as much interest in cars is to blame.
Old 10-03-2012, 08:55 AM
evan-RCU

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Winsted?? There's something in that town still?

ORIGINAL: Free Bird

Barn Speed in Lee, MA. Great place and Joe S. is awesome!
Also, RC Hobbies and More in Winsted, CT. Erwin is also awesome!

Both will go out of their way to make you happy!

FB
Old 10-04-2012, 11:41 AM
ebeneezer3

ORIGINAL: MajorTomski

Mike's Models May Ave, Oklahoma City
Been in that shop, is a very good one. Too far to go often

Ted in Tucumcari
Old 10-07-2012, 04:40 PM
a70eliminator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Theres a couple three within 10mi of me which is a stone throw from the infamous.... Summit Racing Equipment. I'm sooo lucky lololo..
Old 10-08-2012, 09:51 AM
pspring
My Feedback: (1)

I've got a couple in my area. Hub Hobbies in the Mpls, MN north side. I don't talk them much but they have a large selection of kits and some old stuff too. There's not much on the website but the stores are good. IMHO http://www.hubhobby.com/index.cfm
Old 10-08-2012, 04:37 PM
WEDJ

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Build Right / Fly Right Hobbies in Wallingford CT - Joe Acosta.

http://www.brfrhobbies.com/
Old 10-13-2012, 12:08 PM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

Well, looks like Woodstock Hobbies is no more. Not only were the doors closed and the lights out, the store was empty, completely empty.  No signs posted either that they moved.
Old 02-19-2013, 02:42 PM
mightyhorn

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

We HAD one in Nampa Idaho. Owned by an older gentleman who fits your description exactly.
One thing about the "real" hobbyshops- they SMELL like a real hobby shop.
We went to a shop in Bakersfield, CA, where we bought the Hobbico Trainer. I smelled the fumes from glue, fuel etc. and it reminded me of every
hobby shop my dad took me to. Had tears for about 5 min.
Don
P.S. Now we only have a "sterile" hobby shop close by.
Old 02-19-2013, 04:56 PM
Minnreefer

We have a couple of good hobby stores around, hub hobby is ok, they do have a little bit of everything, not much for kits, but they do have several. Another hobby store is hobby warehouse www.myhobbywarehouse.com they have a great selection of airplane stuff and they do know their stuff pretty well.

Jon
Old 04-05-2013, 09:46 PM
TripleDeucer
My Feedback: (129)

If your ever in Yakima, WA. be sure and stop at Mike's Model Aircraft Supply. Mike is a long time modeler and has all the goodies you'll need. The place is small, but filled to the gills. Sometimes you need to duck and sometimes suck it in and slide sideways to navigate. He deals in new and used. Mike's is a great place to leave your money!!
Old 04-06-2013, 07:15 AM
maukaonyx

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

We still have Tammies in Beaverton, OR. Still has an old feel to it. They used to be in a much smaller shop till about 20 years or so ago, and that was the real crammed type...so FUN! It moved and became more spacious, but over time it has got more crowded and become a good feeling one again, haha. There are always planes hanging for sale, tons of parts, and planes, trains, and automobiles. In my own town of Salem, there is one LHS that sucks...he likes trains and doesn't care about RC. So we don't bother him with our needs. We go to the Internet or to Tammies or even to Trumps down in Corvallis...another good old LHS...yep that is a good one too, nice and crammed but they got what ya want. My only trouble with these two is they are an hour away from me. I go to Tammies for my glow fuel...they have good prices and I buy at least a case each visit...it is worth it to pay $5 less per gallon than the LHS. I would say though that except for the glow fuel, I spend almost 100% of my RC funds online. Jon
Old 04-13-2013, 09:28 AM
94lj

Try B&B hobby in Spokane Wa.
Old 04-27-2013, 11:24 AM
tri-pacer

Actually we still have one here in Napa CA, "The Loose Caboose". Although it has a lot of trains, they have lots of balsa wood, building supplies and kits. They also have a very large selection of the old time plastic kits as well, with lots of other neat hobby stuff. I've got to say I feel blessed to live in an area that still supports a place like this. And of course, I give them business every chance I get. As a matter of fact, last I spoke to the owner, he said he's seen a large increase in kids purchasing balsa kits. Nice to hear...maybe all is not lost for our hobby!
Old 09-01-2013, 01:53 PM
jcwalton
My Feedback: (3)

If you live in Georgia you have it made. I live fairly close to Americus-Andersonville area. Just down Hwy. 49 is Hodges Hobbies. Mac has the largest supply of rc merchandise I have ever seen. In front of the store is a very long manicured runway that will also handle full scale aircraft. Just the other side of the runway is a lake for float flying. Mac has it all. If you do not see what you need, he will get for you in short order. I am lucky in that my Mother-in-law lives in Americus. This means my wife wants to visit often. This means I get to Mac's at least twice a month. I am old enough to remember when everything I needed had to be mail-ordered. Mail order companies are the main reason the neighborhood hobby shop cannot stay in business. I often listen to guys complaining that the local Hobby Town do not have what they need. The problem is that rather than help support the local shop, they want to save a couple of bucks ordering. Then they get upset because the local shop does not have a $6.00 prop when they want one. Type Hodges Hobbies on Google and be amazed.

Jim
Old 09-20-2013, 07:11 AM
edbu1

Graves RC in Orlando is my LHS and it is awesome! Many balsa wood kits, and many more ARFs. Every tool and supply you will every need for the builder. Dozens of second-hand built airplanes for sale. Even stock controline kits, lines, handles, etc. More inventory than all other hobby stores that I've ever visited combined! And they match mail order prices. Too good for me to ever consider moving from the area.
Old 09-21-2013, 04:56 AM
Walt Thyng
My Feedback: (9)

Last time I talked to Woodstock they were being killed by the Farmers' Market which made weekend business nearly impossible. He was looking to move outside the city limits, but hadn't found a location yet.
Walt
Old 09-26-2013, 05:20 PM
countilaw

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

We have three in our area, Wild Bills, Air Port Pawn and Roy's Toys. The all have kits, engine parts, and about anything you could want.

Frank

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.