Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC
Reload this Page >

Ryan STA/STM Brotherhood

Community
Search
Notices
Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC Want to discuss some of those from the golden age, vintage rc planes or even an old classic antique vintage rc planes, radios, engines, etc? This is the place for you. Enjoy!

Ryan STA/STM Brotherhood

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2015, 08:08 AM
N99JH
My Feedback: (66)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks again Mike.
I enjoyed reading Burnis's autobiography and learn more about him. His Cessna 140 plans are of the same high caliber plans as his Ryan STA plans.
Joshua
Old 12-17-2015, 08:50 AM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 271 Likes on 236 Posts

Originally Posted by N99JH
Thanks again Mike.
I enjoyed reading Burnis's autobiography and learn more about him. His Cessna 140 plans are of the same high caliber plans as his Ryan STA plans.
Joshua

Joshua,

I have been doing a little more research and I found an old plan service that may have some of his designs. I'll let you know what they say when I get a reply.

Interesting thread on hobby building tools here:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2545677

Last edited by FlyerInOKC; 12-17-2015 at 08:57 AM.
Old 01-01-2016, 06:25 PM
deadstick79

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey All, Happy New Year
I ran up the new DLE 55 for the second time to get the throttle servo to work it's show and ran it for about ten minutes when the engine decided to shake itself right off the plane
Good clean breakaway and I got her back on with some beef-up of the motor box!
I also installed a Eagle Tree Guardian in her for some help on the rudder during landings! That 100" of wing with only 14" of wheel footprint, she tends to tip a wing and nose over... like everytime!
I should be able to get her to the field this coming week!
Dan
Old 01-04-2016, 07:46 AM
FlyerInOKC

Originally Posted by deadstick79
Hey All, Happy New Year
I ran up the new DLE 55 for the second time to get the throttle servo to work it's show and ran it for about ten minutes when the engine decided to shake itself right off the plane
Good clean breakaway and I got her back on with some beef-up of the motor box!
I also installed a Eagle Tree Guardian in her for some help on the rudder during landings! That 100" of wing with only 14" of wheel footprint, she tends to tip a wing and nose over... like everytime!
I should be able to get her to the field this coming week!
Dan
There you go taking all the white knuckle, raging terror, fun out of the maiden flight!
Old 01-04-2016, 03:59 PM
deadstick79

Originally Posted by FlyerInOKC
There you go taking all the white knuckle, raging terror, fun out of the maiden flight!
LOL
Not really! I have flown her 5 times as an electric but yes she'll maiden on Gas
I have to leave the Guardian off, take off, trim her out at low to moderate speed and then land.
Then I have to level the plane and switch on the Guardian so the Guardian "learns" level flight and then she'll be good to go! There should only be a little tweeking in pitch from there. Just hope the initial flight doesn't cost me another prop
Dan
Old 01-26-2016, 08:06 PM
deadstick79

Hey All,
Maidened a week ago and trimmed her out in prep for the guardian! On landing (good one) one of the 1/4" wheel wires broke right at the wing! The wheel and wire just pulled right out of the pants and she settled safely! Whew!
Fixed her up and taught the guardian what level is while at home. Took her out Sunday and had three flights and three excellent no-sweat take-offs and landings!
I gotta say... try the gurardian in your bird if she's got a few mean-streaks!
Can't wait til the week-end!
Dan
Old 02-17-2016, 08:10 AM
MajorTomski

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

FYI all

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXETVD&P=7

Also, member #18 Ken Kehlet with a t not n at the end.
Old 02-17-2016, 09:09 AM
FlyerInOKC

ARF? Isn't that something Little Orphan Annie's dog says?
Old 05-16-2016, 02:35 PM
TangoBravo

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good day. I stumbled on this thread and joined because the Ryan has always been one of my favorites. I've been searching for a balsa kit but they are hard to find. I missed one on flea-bay by $30. a few weeks ago and then found a Phoenix ARF at Tower. It arrived and so far I'm impressed with what I see. I haven't started building it yet but have been reading and studying what's involved. This will be my first ARF having been a balsa builder for many years. On another forum there is a build thread and the plane got good reviews. I'm optimistic with what I've observed so far.

Just wanted to ask what you Ryan folks think about using a YS-FZ 120 in my Ryan. Too much power? It pulled an 18 pound 1/4 Scale Cessna 140 around at 1/4 throttle so I know it will fly this plane. I'd like to mount it inverted to keep the cowl intact but I haven't tried it yet. Cooling might be a problem with the limited inlet area. Anyone else have trouble keeping the engine cool enough with the scale openings in the front? Do I need to consider enlarging them a little? I'd hate to but...

Thanks for having me as a member and I'm looking forward to enjoying your forum.

Tom
Old 05-16-2016, 02:43 PM
N99JH
My Feedback: (66)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi Tom

The YS-FZ 120 will be an overkill but you can always throttle back. If I were you and the engine fits inside the cowl - I would go to the largest prop I can / dare fit and run the engine slightly rich. This way I think that you will not have to enlarge the cooling hole.

I fly mine with a diesel converted OS 60 FSR turning a 15 X 6 propeller and use full power only on take off. For cruising I am down to about 50% throttle.

This ARF is engineered and built very light and it shows in the flying qualities. I am sure that you will enjoy it very much.

Joshua
Old 05-16-2016, 04:53 PM
TangoBravo

Originally Posted by N99JH
Hi Tom

The YS-FZ 120 will be an overkill but you can always throttle back. If I were you and the engine fits inside the cowl - I would go to the largest prop I can / dare fit and run the engine slightly rich. This way I think that you will not have to enlarge the cooling hole.

I fly mine with a diesel converted OS 60 FSR turning a 15 X 6 propeller and use full power only on take off. For cruising I am down to about 50% throttle.

This ARF is engineered and built very light and it shows in the flying qualities. I am sure that you will enjoy it very much.

Joshua

Thanks, Joshua.
I appreciate the input. I've always tended toward the higher end when it comes to engines and unlike some flyers I see, I know what that throttle stick is for. As I stated above I flew that big Cessna at 1/4 throttle most of the time and often did 1/2 throttle take offs. It flies very realistically like that but...that extra kick was always there if/when I needed it. I feel the same about this Ryan. If I can get good ground clearance with a 16-8 prop I think I'll be okay. I won't know until I get the plane up on its wheels and see where I'm at. I also have a Saito 91 that would probably suffice but at the lower end of that power scale I mentioned.

Thanks again and I apologize for bumping an old thread but it is 'subject specific'.

Tom

Last edited by TangoBravo; 05-22-2016 at 06:10 PM.
Old 05-18-2016, 03:13 PM
deadstick79

Originally Posted by TangoBravo
Thanks, Joshua.
I appreciate the input. I've always tended toward the higher end when it comes to engines and unlike some flyers I see, I know that that throttle stick is for. As I stated above I flew that big Cessna at 1/4 throttle most of the time and often did 1/2 throttle take offs. It flies very realistically like that but...that extra kick was always there if/when I needed it. I feel the same about this Ryan. If I can get good ground clearance with a 16-8 prop I think I'll be okay. I won't know until I get the plane up on its wheels and see where I'm at. I also have a Saito 91 that would probably suffice but at the lower end of that power scale I mentioned.

Thanks again and I apologize for bumping an old thread but it is 'subject specific'.

Tom
My Ryan is from RC Guys and has a 100" span and is just shy of 20lbs!
I have 36 flights on her with a DLE 55 rear exhaust and no additional cooling holes! Runs great!
Old 05-22-2016, 01:55 PM
CF105

Hey Deadstick: how did you find the assembly of that Ryan?

i have one underway and can't say I'm all that impressed. Missing hardware, lousy instructions and the fit of the fiberglass strut covers to the wing is lacking. That's as far as I've gone, hoping this is the worst of it.

On the bright side, they did respond quickly when I contacted them about the missing bits, and they shipped fast.
Old 05-22-2016, 04:16 PM
deadstick79

Originally Posted by CF105
Hey Deadstick: how did you find the assembly of that Ryan?

i have one underway and can't say I'm all that impressed. Missing hardware, lousy instructions and the fit of the fiberglass strut covers to the wing is lacking. That's as far as I've gone, hoping this is the worst of it.

On the bright side, they did respond quickly when I contacted them about the missing bits, and they shipped fast.
My only complaint is the whole main gear situation period! The 1/4" legs are way too long to go unsupported! She was all over the runway and loved to nose over breaking many a prop in the process! After much of this bull... I yanked the whole main set up off the wing and put a sturdy one piece metal gear just in front of the leading edge! I know... it's sacrilegious but what a gas she is on take offs and landings! I had the first twenty flights with the old gear and hours of repairs! The last twenty flights have been a real treat and all on the same prop and not one repair!
You will absolutely love how she handles!
What engine are you planning to use?
You won't NEED flaps but they're fun!
DAn
Old 05-22-2016, 06:53 PM
CF105

My only complaint is the whole main gear situation period! The 1/4" legs are way too long to go unsupported! She was all over the runway and loved to nose over breaking many a prop in the process! After much of this bull... I yanked the whole main set up off the wing and put a sturdy one piece metal gear just in front of the leading edge! I know... it's sacrilegious but what a gas she is on take offs and landings! I had the first twenty flights with the old gear and hours of repairs! The last twenty flights have been a real treat and all on the same prop and not one repair!
You will absolutely love how she handles!
What engine are you planning to use?
You won't NEED flaps but they're fun!
DAn
My plan is a Rimfire 65cc and 12S (yes, electric). I hate having non-scale stuff sticking out of my cowls! The 65cc may be overkill, but it's what I have available and should help with balancing.

I was dubious of the landing gear to begin with... now I'm even more so. I'll give them a go... but I'm seriously thinking about oleo struts to replace them. And maybe replace the wheels too.

So far I'm not impressed with the hardware. I've already replaced the aileron linkages with 4-40 threaded rod and ball links. Will do the same with the elevators. Might do the flaps too, haven't decided (since they are "nice to have" but not critical to flight). Twisted the head off one screw tonight while attaching the landing gear straps. The control horns look... aged? Dull, almost grimy or something. Replaced them with some Dubro ones anyway.

The airframe itself looks great. The fiberglass parts are very nice too.

Overall I'm very anxious to get this bird together and out to the field.
Old 05-23-2016, 06:47 PM
deadstick79

Originally Posted by CF105
My plan is a Rimfire 65cc and 12S (yes, electric). I hate having non-scale stuff sticking out of my cowls! The 65cc may be overkill, but it's what I have available and should help with balancing.

I was dubious of the landing gear to begin with... now I'm even more so. I'll give them a go... but I'm seriously thinking about oleo struts to replace them. And maybe replace the wheels too.

So far I'm not impressed with the hardware. I've already replaced the aileron linkages with 4-40 threaded rod and ball links. Will do the same with the elevators. Might do the flaps too, haven't decided (since they are "nice to have" but not critical to flight). Twisted the head off one screw tonight while attaching the landing gear straps. The control horns look... aged? Dull, almost grimy or something. Replaced them with some Dubro ones anyway.

The airframe itself looks great. The fiberglass parts are very nice too.

Overall I'm very anxious to get this bird together and out to the field.
I hear ya!
I had the old Byron Ryan back in the 80's and she looked and flew beautifully!
This one is a looker and flys even better!
Here's a pic of mine with the Sig Rascal landing gear!
Took a while to get used to the beauty of the original gear but hey, ground handling is a dream!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	0522161824.jpg
Views:	1872
Size:	184.3 KB
ID:	2164018  
Old 05-25-2016, 08:41 AM
CF105

I hear ya!
I had the old Byron Ryan back in the 80's and she looked and flew beautifully!
This one is a looker and flys even better!
Here's a pic of mine with the Sig Rascal landing gear!
Took a while to get used to the beauty of the original gear but hey, ground handling is a dream!
Kinda drastic, but ya gotta do what ya gotta do!

Once I get her all together (installing the wheels is currently kicking my butt, but a few minutes with a Dremel should fix that), I plan to do some taxi tests. If need be, I'll increase elevator throw to help keep the tail planted.
Old 07-31-2016, 06:17 PM
CF105

Finally got my RC Guys Ryan in the air today! Only a single flight, about 6 minutes. However I checked the flight packs and they were still at 75%, so I could have flown much longer. 6 minutes was all my nerves could handle on the maiden flight!

First takeoff attempt ended with a nose over & broken prop, but I brought a spare. The second try obviously went much better.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ryan STA.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	790.6 KB
ID:	2175339  
Old 08-01-2016, 09:00 AM
FlyerInOKC

Looks like a keeper, congratulations!
Old 08-30-2016, 05:23 PM
CF105

Originally Posted by FlyerInOKC
Looks like a keeper, congratulations!
Thanks!

I was so stressed during the maiden that I really don't remember much of the actual flight. Since I didn't have to fix anything, I guess it went pretty well

Had it out again this past weekend. What a *****cat! I wish all my planes were so well-mannered.
Old 12-23-2016, 10:20 PM
Iowa54

Been scanning this thread and have a Phoenix STA on backorder. Hopefully will arrive in a month or so. So please add me to the Brotherhood if its still around. Thanks
Old 12-24-2016, 02:45 AM
VincentJ

Received 118 Likes on 107 Posts

Welcome to the Brotherhood Iowa54, you are #38! Good luck with your project.

#1 Raptureboy, PA
#2 VincentJ, NH
#3 lovehydro, WA

#4 Acerc, FL
#5 I-Fly, MI
#6 Yank II, AZ
#7 Culver, PA
#8 Rick Boyer, PA
#9 Daniel EL. OH
#10 RBardin,GA
#11 Jeff W, NM
#12 cub flyer fresno, CA
#13 jaybird, ME
#14 kiwi-al, NZ
#15 stuntflyr, CA
#16 yel914, UT
#17 126jp, NC
# 18 Ken Kehler, OK
#19 Thomas B, TX
#20 Michael2k, DE
#21 Highplains, KS
#22 ron9844, NH
#23 franc, South Africa
#24 Cavoodle, NZ
#25 proteus_x3, NJ
#26 jymster, Aus
#27 FlyerInOKC, OK
#28 deadstik79, NM
#29 staggerflyer, IA
#30 bushwacker404, CA
#31 Capt Easy, TX
#32 tacx, MI
#33 Major Tomski
#34 Piperjoe
#35 Silversurfer805
#36 RobV
#37 N99JH
#38 Iowa54
Old 12-24-2016, 02:52 AM
VincentJ

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to all! Stay warm and enjoy your families...
Old 12-25-2016, 10:52 AM
TangoBravo

I would be honored to be included in the list. I've been flying my Phoenix STA for a few months. It has become my go-to plane when I just want a day of fun relaxed and rewarding flights. Mine is powered by a Saito 100 and it seems like the perfect combination. My camera died and I'm hoping there is a new one under the Christmas tree. If so I'll post a photo after the holidays.

This was my first ever ARF having always built my planes and to be honest I was skeptical but the airframe has given me no problems.
The wheel pants aren't the greatest and I've removed them due to cracking. Otherwise the plane is strong and shows no sign of structural problems.

Tom

Last edited by TangoBravo; 12-25-2016 at 11:26 AM.
Old 12-25-2016, 11:33 AM
VincentJ

Yesterd
Welcome to the Brotherhood TangoBravo, you are #39! Glad you joined us. Please post some pics when you can...

#1 Raptureboy, PA
#2 VincentJ, NH
#3 lovehydro, WA

#4 Acerc, FL
#5 I-Fly, MI
#6 Yank II, AZ
#7 Culver, PA
#8 Rick Boyer, PA
#9 Daniel EL. OH
#10 RBardin,GA
#11 Jeff W, NM
#12 cub flyer fresno, CA
#13 jaybird, ME
#14 kiwi-al, NZ
#15 stuntflyr, CA
#16 yel914, UT
#17 126jp, NC
# 18 Ken Kehler, OK
#19 Thomas B, TX
#20 Michael2k, DE
#21 Highplains, KS
#22 ron9844, NH
#23 franc, South Africa
#24 Cavoodle, NZ
#25 proteus_x3, NJ
#26 jymster, Aus
#27 FlyerInOKC, OK
#28 deadstik79, NM
#29 staggerflyer, IA
#30 bushwacker404, CA
#31 Capt Easy, TX
#32 tacx, MI
#33 Major Tomski
#34 Piperjoe
#35 Silversurfer805
#36 RobV
#37 N99JH
#38 Iowa54
#39 TangoBravo

Last edited by VincentJ; 12-25-2016 at 11:36 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.