Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Fox Eagle 60(?). Worth anything?

I was at the Atoms RC swap meet today and after doing a few laps this Sterling Waco SRE appeared at a table with a whopping price tag of 60 bucks. Needless to say I bought it on the spot. Finish is poor but I'm going to totally redo it.

Anyway I pop the cowl off and there is a brand new looking Fox Eagle under the hood. Looks barely run, just a little dusty. Spins free and has good compression.

I don't know the displacement as it doesn't say anything on the case, but from what I could search out I think it is the 60.

Anyone know the approximate age of the motor and any value it might have? It did not come with a muffler.

Thanks!

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pn37984.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	60.1 KB 
ID:	1850561   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Av68120.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	331.8 KB 
ID:	1850562  
    When you stare into the abyss, sometimes the abyss stares right back into you.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Fox Eagle 60(?). Worth anything?

I bought a new Eagle .60 in 1975... runs about like an average modern day .40. They sell on E-Bay for $40 to $60 bucks. Missing muffler hurts the value though. Eagles got better with newer designs yielding world class motors. This first edition though have crummy metallurgy, especially for the case. Some kind of shiny pot metal...

Good luck  on selling it. E-Bay has a few...

\"I ran out of ideas and altitude at the same time...\"

\"The Beatings will continue until Morale Improves..!!!\"

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Prop_Washer2

I bought a new Eagle .60 in 1975... runs about like an average modern day .40. They sell on E-Bay for $40 to $60 bucks. Missing muffler hurts the value though. Eagles got better with newer designs yielding world class motors. This first edition though have crummy metallurgy, especially for the case. Some kind of shiny pot metal...

Good luckÂ* on selling it. E-Bay has a few...

Thanks for the info. There actually aren't any on eBay at the moment but I concur on the value. From the looks of the cowl of the SRE it had some sort of pitts muffler on it at one point.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

[quote]ORIGINAL: Prop_Washer2

Good luckÂ* on selling it. E-Bay has a few...

The shiney potmetal is not pot metal but Aluminum with a dip into cadmium. .The first 60 was really the Fox 59 with the sideplug. Yours appears to be the Eagle 1 of about 1971/2 vintage. If memory serves me it was a baffled engine and was as good as anything else that passed for a 60 back then. Obviously a 30 year passage in time should have improved any product and even the Fox 60 evolved into the Eagle mk4 which is no a slouch by any means. Fox is a unique engine. It isn't a buy and fly type as it is still Iron/steel. Most of the problems with the engines have been with carbs as Duke Fox always thought he could do better, but unfortunately he often didn't.
    If the engine is new then reconsile yourself to running in the engine and if you do, then it should outlive you by a large margin.

Dennis

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thanks for the great info Dennis!

I have listed the engine for sale. For various reasons I have phased out most of my glow motors and I would rather see this engine go on to be loved and run by someone.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

And it's sold. That was quick!