Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC
Reload this Page >

Making a windshield for a Coronet 150?

Community
Search
Notices
Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC Want to discuss some of those from the golden age, vintage rc planes or even an old classic antique vintage rc planes, radios, engines, etc? This is the place for you. Enjoy!

Making a windshield for a Coronet 150?

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2013, 04:34 PM
N1EDM
My Feedback: (2)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Making a windshield for a Coronet 150?

I could use a little advice here. I inherited a RC-Assist OT, a Coronet 150 (Model Aviation, October 1988, by Doc Mathews). It took a little more work than I had anticipated to get her back into shape, but she's almost there.

One of the few things left to do is to make a windshield. I've made a pattern - it may need a bit of tweaking yet to get a perfect fit, but the advice that I need is about which material to use.

I traced the pattern onto an empty plastic litre bottle of Club Soda (Canada Dry if you must know ) and it fit OK. The question is whether this is the way these things are usually done, or is there a better method or material. If using this bottle material for the windshield is OK, which adhesive is best to use with it? It's going to overlap some silk/dope finish so I'll need to get good adhesion to both materials.

Thanks for any information that you can give,

Bob
Old 02-25-2013, 07:58 AM
LesUyeda
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Making a windshield for a Coronet 150?

K&S markets sheet plastic in 8 x 10 sheets, and various thicknesses (about .030 would work fine) that should be available at your local hobby shop/on line. RC 56/560 glue sticks to just about everything/anything, and dries clear, and remains flexible enough to work for years.

Les
Old 02-25-2013, 05:07 PM
N1EDM
My Feedback: (2)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: Making a windshield for a Coronet 150?

Thanks, Les.. I can see if my LHS has some. But I was also curious if anyone has used this soda bottle material? I've seen it written up a few times but wanted to hear it from someone who actually had done it and succeeded (or not). I like that 560 stuff but it takes soooooooooo long to dry.

Bob