Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC
Reload this Page >

1980 to 1985 ARF from tower Hobbies

Community
Search
Notices
Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC Want to discuss some of those from the golden age, vintage rc planes or even an old classic antique vintage rc planes, radios, engines, etc? This is the place for you. Enjoy!

1980 to 1985 ARF from tower Hobbies

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2013, 11:40 AM
LaRebel24

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1980 to 1985 ARF from tower Hobbies

First off let me say I don't have or fly any arf's, have never liked them, never trusted anyone else to build my models. With that being said, when I first got into the world of R/C in 1979 I started with the 2 channel cox .049 powered planes, leaned how to fly those then bought a Midwest lilttle stick and learned to fly 4 channel. Well after i had flown the little stick for a while I saw this arf listed in the tower catalog. Being young and dumb...I ordered it, it came in, installed engine and radio and went to fly. long story short plane was not well built and came apart literally. Now for my question, I'm sitting here trying to remember what the model was called. It had a balsa built up fuse covered in light ply with rounded top, foam core wing with balsa sheeting, as I recall. Model was a low wing .60 size, trike as I recall, and painted white with orange stripes. If anyone actually remembers the make and model of this plane the info would be much appreciated.

Thanks
Andrew
Old 03-01-2013, 12:07 PM
W.E. Fan

Default RE: 1980 to 1985 ARF from tower Hobbies

Andrew,

I suspect you will receive a lot of suggestions here. My own WAG would be the Air Capital FB 100 ARF that Tower Hobbies was selling way back then.

Doug
Old 03-01-2013, 01:34 PM
LaRebel24

Doug,

You wouldn't know where I could get a pic of the plane at do you? Maybe a pic out of an old tower catalog from that era.

Thanks
Andrew
Old 03-01-2013, 06:58 PM
DStone

I bought an FB-100 at the 1980 Toledo show and found it to be high quality, especially for the time. The fuselage was thin plywood rolled over a balsa framework with sheet balsa tail surfaces. The wings were foam core with posterboard covering. It was painted white with a selection of colored trim available. My trim color was green. It came with the fuel tank, pushrods and landing gear already installed. The wheels were Fox with metal hubs. The wing had rubber band mounting.

I was flying it inverted once when the rubber bands gave way. The fuselage arced over into the ground while the wing fluttered down. Luckily, it had recently rained and the ground was soft. The fuselage was sticking up out of the ground and had suffered little damage besides a broken prop and a carb full of dirt. That plywood fuse was stout. Afterward I changed the wing mounting to bolts.

I was quite pleased with mine and wish they were still available. Unfortunately, I lost my pictures of it. I made a scan from the Tower ad in a 1980 issue of RCM, but RC Universe gives an internal server error message when I try to upload it. I will try again later.
Old 03-02-2013, 03:19 AM
flyinwalenda
My Feedback: (5)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Old 03-03-2013, 01:04 PM
LaRebel24

Thanks for the pic.....That's the one I had.

Andrew