Community
Search
Notices
Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC Want to discuss some of those from the golden age, vintage rc planes or even an old classic antique vintage rc planes, radios, engines, etc? This is the place for you. Enjoy!

Stand up starter

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2013, 02:37 PM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Stand up starter

An old flying bud built this in 1974 for a lot of Free flight work which was usually out in the boonies with none of the amenities we are so spoiled with at the fields today worked great the forward legs were articulated and the rear leg was telescoping with a micro switch. Folded partially.

He passed on several years back and the widow had a yard sale so his stuff disappeared but this recently surfaced at a local swapmeet and I just had to get it back to refurbish just because I always liked it for certain types of airplanes. Not really useful for a lot of what we fly today but thats OK.

John
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig12330.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	80.4 KB
ID:	1870409  
Old 04-11-2013, 04:43 AM
JohnBuckner

Default RE: Stand up starter

Hm appears I can no longer post pictures that have been downsized properly once agine. If the RCU servers ever allow it I will try agine.

John
Old 04-12-2013, 02:23 PM
JohnBuckner

Cool the picture function is back up and running so now you can see this thing I am loving it and has worked well with a couple of my old timers and tomorow and gonna make a ukie day of it and use it for my Magician and Nobler.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl29321.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	67.1 KB
ID:	1870912   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rn39132.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	77.5 KB
ID:	1870913   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ej12269.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	76.9 KB
ID:	1870914   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dx67110.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	79.0 KB
ID:	1870915  
Old 04-13-2013, 04:44 AM
Trisquire

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That has always struck me as more practical than holding the starter against the plane.
Old 04-13-2013, 05:32 AM
JohnBuckner

It may well be Trisquire for certain sizes of airplane. Now originally he had used a large garden type lead acid and I simply used a small 18volt drill battery after rewiring and bypassing the power panel as I use for most of my starters now and I had emptied the drawers. Its likely he had those drawers filled and the heavy battery as it was also probable that the largest engines he had used was around oh up to .25. So it would be fine on the ground.

What I found with my .35AX powered old timers and the box sitting on cement that it was difficult to use. The triggering of the microswitch was not problem but you had to push pretty hard to get a good seal on the driver cup to prevent slipping of the rubber. After possitioning with the box backed up to an immovable object it worked great. Perhaps in the past that immovable object could be the wheel of your car.

Another thought occured to me that shovel like blade on one end of the boxes feet could prevent the box from moving when on a dirt surfacel.

At any rate its a cool bit of modeling history and been fun.

John